WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I'm doing this sometime in late May. If someone else is interested, let me know and maybe we can do a shuttle/key exchange

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    I'm doing this sometime in late May. If someone else is interested, let me know and maybe we can do a shuttle/key exchange

Thanks
    The outfitter in Brevard might also do shuttles if you don't get a key exhange going. Call around. The raingers might also know where to call.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    The outfitter in Brevard might also do shuttles if you don't get a key exhange going. Call around. The raingers might also know where to call.
    Yep, the outfitters is my second option. Thanks!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Roots and Gungho live in that area. If you need help finding a way to get the trailhead, they may be able to offer suggestions.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Thanks
    If we are around (lots of hiking plans) we would be glad to help. Send me a PM about your date. We will be gone from May13th thru the 18th.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    I second that. Mine arrived ? a week ago. I have a good many trail/hiking books for the same area covered and basically all are pretty much the same. This book's different. It's way more detailed, the maps are really good and the treks give all the info I want to know for any given route including other options from the mainstream.

I will even third that, I actually was able to find a copy in a bookstore here in Brevard. It is a great book. Can't wait to start taking out all 25 of the treks

I was thinking about going to Shining Rock around Easter. Of all the times Ive been there I have never done the whole Art Loeb. Would it be possible to get a shuttle around that time? Also whats the name of the outfitter in Brevard?

Images

this is from Jan's earlier post

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Also, sounds like Takoda is set with this, but in case anyone else wants to hike this shrt, testy little trail, here's some info I assembled a couple years ago:

"You can get maps from the rangers station just inside the 276 entrance to the Pisgah, or order them from national Geographic maps. Part of the Art is an alternate route for the Mountains to Sea trail, The Art being blazed in white blazes.Jump-off point is Davidson River Campground off 276, accessed from Brevard in Transylvania County; think Highway 64 and Highway 276 intersection.
    Looking Glass Outfitters is located near the entrance to Pisgah National Forest, you pass right by it. It's a possible shuttle connection or place to leave a car. Phone: (866) 351-2176, Email: [email protected]

I cribbed this info from their website:
    Art Loeb Trail, Section 1
    Distance: 12.3 miles
    Blaze: White
    Difficulty: Difficult
    USGS Maps: Shining Rock, Sam Knob
    Access: Turn onto the road to Davidson River Campground, 0.2 mile south of Pisgah District Ranger Station on U.S. Highway 276. Park in the Art Loeb Trailhead parking lot. The other end of this section is at Gloucester Gap on FS Rd. 471, where overnight parking is not recommended.
    Attractions and Considerations: The Art Loeb Trail, 30.1 miles long, is a national recreation trail and named after a local hiking enthusiast. Most of the Art Loeb Trail is overlapped by the Mountains-to-the Sea Trail which is blazed with 3-inch white dots. Section 1 begins at the Davidson River and climbs steeply to Shut-in Ridge.

Art Loeb Trail, Section 2
    Distance: 7.2 miles
    USGS Maps: Shining Rock, Sam Knob
    Access: Start from Gloucester Gap, which is 4.5 miles west of the State Fish Hatchery on FS Road 475. (It is not recommended to leave cars overnight here.) See Access to trail #21 for directions to the other end of this section.
    Attractions and Considerations: From Gloucester Gap the trail climbs to Pilot Mountain, a former fire tower site with a 360-degree view. There is a shelter and spring at Deep Gap. The trail then climbs to the Blue Ridge Parkway, winding through a mature upland hardwood forest. From the Parkway it is a steep climb to Silvermine Bald where there is a transition from a hardwood forest to a spruce-fir forest. Near Silvermine Bald the Mountains-to-Sea Trail splits to the west while the Art Loeb Trail follows the ridge northeast to FS Road 816.

Art Loeb Trail, Section 3
    Distance: 6.8 miles
    USGS Maps: Shining Rock, Sam Knob, Cruso
    Access: From U.S. Highway 276, travel 8 miles south on the Blue Ridge Parkway and turn onto FS Road 816. Go 1 mile to the crest of the hill, where the trail crosses.
    Attractions and Considerations: The first half of this portion of the Art Loeb Trail is perhaps the most spectacular. Black Balsam and Tennant Mountains both exceed 6,000 feet in elevation. A beautiful 5-mile loop may be made by combining the Art Loeb Trail with the Ivestor Gap Road. At Ivestor Gap the Art Loeb crosses into Shining Rock Wilderness. This section of the Art Loeb Trail ends at Deep Gap.

Art Loeb Trail, Section 4
    Distance: 3.8 miles
    Blaze: None
    USGS Maps: Cruso, Waynesville
    Access: Access is from the Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp, off of U.S. Highway 215 four miles south of Bethel, NC. Please notify camp staff if you will be leaving a vehicle at the camp.
    Attractions and Considerations: This is a short, but very steep section of the Art Loeb Trail. Because it is in designated wilderness, you will find no signs or trail blazes."

What is the parking like at Davidson River Campground? Is it safe?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    I can't quantify an answer for you, but I will say it's one of the larger parking areas and is as close to the Ranger Station as any. It's also very close to Brevard itself. I'm not sure if that is a positive or a negative.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Default Art Loeb Trail

My friend and i just got done hiking that trail! Theres alot of water on the trail! I think the longesty stretch was maybe 4 miles? But depending how fast you hike it should take you two hours or so to get from water source to water source on that one stretch. The views are AMAZING so have plenty of film!!! I took over a hundred picture over the 30 mile stretch! Hope you had as much fun as I did!!! HAPPY TRAILS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    The area is well used and patrolled,so yes it is very safe. Roots and myself park their all the time,you have many miles of trails at your disposal. Nothing like having a place like this in your backyard.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    The area is well used and patrolled,so yes it is very safe. Roots and myself park their all the time,you have many miles of trails at your disposal. Nothing like having a place like this in your backyard.
    That's right, keep rubbing it in GungHo. You're making me jealous. No fair!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    That's right, keep rubbing it in GungHo. You're making me jealous. No fair!
    Alrighty then my work here is done. On to the next thread

Images

What's the side trail up to Cold Mountain like? I read in some guide that it's rough and not well-marked, but this was just a generic guide to asheville and not geared towards hikers

Thanks

Images

It is rough and no trails in the Shining Rock Wilderness are marked (how dumb is that? Like small trail signs are going to ruin the "wilderness experience?"). I haven't been to it yet, but in Shining Rock Gap there are about 10 trails leading out of the clearing . . . take your pick, er uh guess! Be prepared for lots of "sucker trail" backtracking in SRW. Next trip I'm taking a better map and a compass.

Images

Regarding the trail up to Cold Mountain, I wonder if it is unmarked but still obvious and easy to get up/down, or having good nav skills is essential.

Images

Regarding the trail up to Cold Mountain, I wonder if it is unmarked but still obvious and easy to get up/down, or having good nav skills is essential.
    Once you reach Deep Gap the trail going up to Cold Mountain is easily followed. Getting out of Shining Rock Gap in the right direction heading to the Narrows and Deep Gap is the tricky part. Good thing is that when you hit the Narrows you will be certain you are going the right direction. There are at least 5 or 6 footpaths you can take within an eighth of a mile or so of the small feild in the middle of Shining Rock Gap. The dead end trail to Shining Rock itself seems to cause the most confusion.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Thanks Ed Bell. I will be starting at Daniel Boone, so I will not hit Narrows on the ALT until after the spur to Cold Mtn, right??

Also, in your first sentence, do you mean the entire way up/down Cold Mtn is easily followed? I want to go to the top

Images

and actually, last fall I noticed some blaze marks painted on the ALT in the wilderness area. They aren't really needed if you have a topo map.

Cold Mtn trail is easy to follow, its pretty well worn in.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++