WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sore feet

Default Sore feet

Heading for my first section hike for a whole two weeks. (Wish it was longer)
    This is my first venture into hiking. I've been cross-training to help break in my boots. I went out last weekend for a three day hike to test out my gear and body. I did 10 miles a day on flat-land and was shocked how much my feet hurt. I received pain on top of one foot and sore ankles as well as toe and side of foot pain. I relaced and relaced and couldn't solve it. No blisters just PAIN. I did get my boots sized at the outfitter here.

I did a 15k walk/run with my pack on (38lbs) with running shoes and felt fine.

Is there a thing known as trail foot? Do I need to let my feet adjust to hiking day in and day out or is it the boots?

Wear your running shoes instead of your hiking boots when you take your two week hike. You'll find many threads here on WB attesting to the advisability of wearing lighter footware (like trail runners) than used to be the norm.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sole-man View Post
    Heading for my first section hike for a whole two weeks. (Wish it was longer)
    This is my first venture into hiking. I've been cross-training to help break in my boots. I went out last weekend for a three day hike to test out my gear and body. I did 10 miles a day on flat-land and was shocked how much my feet hurt. I received pain on top of one foot and sore ankles as well as toe and side of foot pain. I relaced and relaced and couldn't solve it. No blisters just PAIN. I did get my boots sized at the outfitter here.

Is there a thing known as trail foot? Do I need to let my feet adjust to hiking day in and day out or is it the boots?
    I couldn't help but notice all your problems were on the top and sides of your feet. Could that be because you are the "Sole Man." Ha ha!

Try using cheap thin socks as liners if you think friction is playing a role.

If you're wearing leather boots, you have to break them in. Map man is right regarding lighter footwear. The majority of long-distance hikers seem to be wearing lighter shoes.

The biggest mistake I made, besides starting with boots, was to tighten them too much.

I've been training the past two weeks, and using both trail runners and hiking boots I get pain on the top of my right foot, but I don't know why. Appalachian Tater...I don't think friction is the issue, that results mostly in blisters. I start the trail april 1st and I'm just hoping that the pain goes away as my feet toughen up.

After hiking a lot your feet may swell up to about half a size bigger. Also take ibuprophren. It helps reduce inflamation. Sometimes in the middle of the day I would take my shoes and socks off and let my feet out for a few minutes...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sole-man
    Best not to make a habit of that regardless of your footwear choice. JMO...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Well, you know my secret!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Well, you know my secret!
    Heh, Heh....
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Love the reply about sole-man Austex!

I don't think friction is the problem.
    I did notice that my feet were fine the bginning of the third day. I stopped, changed clothes and took my boots off. Immediately after I put them on again I had the same pain on the top of my right foot. So I believe swelling if definitely a factor. I will not be taking my shoes off during the day if I can help it.

I too am starting on April 1 and hope this works itself out.

Images

Make ya go blind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    The biggest mistake I made, besides starting with boots, was to tighten them too much.

That could be the problem. If you have swelling, confining them in tight shoes hurts. Lacing them too tight could also be the cause of the swelling.

Well if I don't tighten them enough my heel will come up as I walk.
    I don't think I want that? Do I?
    I guess what I'm hearing is there will be a magical tightness for each foot that I have yet to find. I may try to lace them differently.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Make ya go blind?
    Excessive pounding is indeed rumored to cause blindness.
    Skids

i put some gel inserts in my boots one time (bad idea) and it led to all kinds of pain on the top of my feet. i think whats happening is your feet dont have enough vertical room in your boots. just a thought. when i took out those inserts, man my boots felt fifty times better. i think wearing them too tight can lead to the same situation. what i do now is, i dont tighten my boots that much down around my feet, but tighten them moor on those last hooks up around my ankle.

Images

Depending on the style of boot you wear here is a little trick I learned over the years. When adjusting the tension of the laces before tieing, loosen the tension slightly over the top of the foot. Then adjust the tension at the ancle tighter. YMMV
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Excessive pounding is indeed rumored to cause blindness.
    Well they do have inserts now, that you pump up... that's what I heard... anyway. Don't know if that would help matters. I guess that would depend on your size, how much swelling was involved and your individual resistance to the friction.

A good sock might help.

Images

Yep.

Nothin' better than a good sock.
    Skids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++