WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Knees View Post
    I got my trail name because I'm the bee's Knees of course.

It couldn't possibly be due to the fact that I did my knees in that first day on the approach trail or that I spent the next couple of weeks limping (with both legs) in pain. I never would have talked about my knees and the pain to just about everybody around me.

I'd never admit to sitting at the Blueberry Patch being informed by Thumper and O'Connor that my trailname was Knees. Never!

I finally did catch up to and pass those two speed demons. From Hiawassee to the Mahoosuc Notch I ate their dust!

I hiked with them two from Shuckstack to Hot Springs. Along with them I hiked with the two Irish fellas (one named Iron Horse). Those two absolutely flew! Did you ever meet Iron Horse?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

I got my trailname sitting around a picnic table after eating dinner. The girl I was hiking with (Minnie) was sitting across from me and had finished eating bout the same time. (Let me back up....Minnie was hiking with a group of 5 of us guys). Anyhow before she got up to do dishes, I slid my dishes across the table to her and said, "chop-chop" (meaning as a woman, that was her role). Of course I was kidding, but the look on her face was priceless!!! Everyone else thought it was hilarous, so chop-chop stuck.

Never would have thought when I started my trailname would have turned out so cheesy. But I guess that's what distinguishes me?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

I wonder what years(s) "Trail Names" became the norm?....I don`t really recall a whole lot of people with them way back when
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Sadly, Sleepy the Arab is what I was named at birth.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Funny thing...... after all these years, everyone thinks I'm from Maryland!

Nope. Boston, actually.
    Oh you're from Boston, that's explains it!

Images

I got the nickname of Squirrel long, long ago..as I did and still do run around in the woods like a squirrel.. I was Squirrel on the AT in 1996.

SpiritWind. The name came about as I have this thing about raising my face to the sun on mountaintops....especially when there is even the slightest breeze. The wind on mountains that rustles the leaves, touches your face, blows your hair...makes that sound as it passes through conifers... Well, a friend in college once asked me why I always do that and I explained that that "breeze" is a Spirit Wind...and that wind is actually the spirits of good friends and family members. I've had more than my share of friends and family pass away way too young...That gentle breeze is their way of saying hello and my way of remembering them and feeling them with me.

The voices in my head named me. I argued with them but they just wouldn't listen. They never do. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their really not out to get me.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have to confuse I gave myself my trail name. I was looking for something that I could use as a web site name and a trail name both. I wanted to use Troll but to many other people on the web were using the name Troll. So I had to come up with a different variation of it. Being a Appalachian Trail nut I stuck AT to the front of the name Troll and hence I became Attroll. I could probably get a trail name in the trail when I do my thru hiker but everyone knows me as Attroll now so I will just keep Attroll or Troll when I do my thru hike.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

My trailname was given on a section hike of TN/NC AT in 1986.Before the hike I had relatively long hair,below shoulders.One week before my hike I cut all my hair off down to 1/8".Walking and running prior to my hike on hot sunny July days I sunburned the top of my head.Second day of my hike I took off my bandana to saturate it with water and two thru hikers stopped to chat and said my head looked like fire on a mountain top,thus the trail name mountainfire.

Images

Default The Appalatchin Trial

Quote Originally Posted by ANHINGA View Post
    My "trial" name is probably "the accused" or "the party of the first part," but my "trail" name is altogether different. Ah, the subtle tyranny of poor spelling!
    You still haven't figured out that on the Appalatchin Trial all of the accused are deemed to be guilty by reason of insanity? The trial proceeds immediately to the punishment phase.

In `05, I did a weekend from Sams Gap to Iron Mtn gap. When I got to the summit of Big Bald there was lots of snow and ice. I stepped down and encountered a rock, fell forward and proceeded to slide face first down the mountain.

Around the fire that night, the hikers in front of me and the hikers behind me, decided I looked like I was trying to parachute down, only w/o deploying my `chute. It looked like I was "freefalling".

Hence the name.

Images

Wink The trials and tribulations of A.T. hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    When I got to the summit of Big Bald there was lots of snow and ice. I stepped down and encountered a rock, fell forward and proceeded to slide face first down the mountain.
    Did you learn your lesson or has it been necessary for you to be subjected to additional punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Did you learn your lesson or has it been necessary for you to be subjected to additional punishment?
    I tried to get the gov't to let me use satelite data for the location of geographical features. Alas, to no avail. So, I am subjected daily to the aditional punishment.

An Appalachian Trial is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by prozac View Post
    The voices in my head named me. I argued with them but they just wouldn't listen. They never do. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their really not out to get me.

They're not out to get you ... I am!

Cannonball champion at scout summer camp, 3 years in a row. How could one not use that medal of honor?
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

The name "Footslogger" came about as a result of a web search ...and NO, I was not aware at the time that there was an outfitter in NC called "Footslogger's". I started with a standard Thesaurus and began looking through a list of words pertaining to walking, hiking and marching. Stumbled into the word "Footslogger" and took an immediate liking to it. Then I did an internet search to learn more about the history of the name. Turns out that it dates back to medevil times and was used to describe one of the King's foot soldiers. Being an old Airborne Infantryman myself it seems like a good fit.

After deciding on the trail name I stumbled into the following poem on the internet. It was written by the wife of a POW in WWI
    =============================

The Footslogger

Here’s to the “footslogger” of the Infantry.
    Who in battle has nothing in front of him, but the enemy.
    You will fight, take, and hold the ground, Roosevelt said it.
    You will win the war, but the Wac, Waves, and Air Corp will get the credit.
    For us, there is no wonderful speeches or renown.
    We are the queen of battles, but have no crown.

Come all you footsloggers roll your packs,
    and put them high upon your backs.
    We have a long hike ahead and we have no pay,
    But when the day is done all you’ll want is to stop and hit the hay.
    You don’t need money, you’ll never get it spent.
    For where you go none of our fighters have not yet went.

To take that last cool drink from that French well,
    Go out and meet Jerry and by God give him hell.
    For with your faithful M1 and bayonet,
    You’re the toughest fighter the world has seen yet.

Through artillery shelling and Air Corp bombing,
    Jerry will stay,
    But to hear the tramp of your advancing feet,
    he will runaway.
    To see us coming is what they really dread
    They even leave their stinking, uncovered dead.

Your buddy is killed, dead and gone,
    But his act of heroism will forever live on.
    We have just one more long, long trek
    And that is on the somewhat lonesome road back.
    We gave them hell wherever we went,
    They learned we were the toughest yet.

The war is now over, Forever finished and through?
    Or will we allow them to rise up and start anew?
    If we still have the infantry you can bet,
    We’ll again be the toughest they have ever seen yet.
    So salute the footslogger of the infantry,
    Who in battle had nothing in front of him but the enemy.
    ================================

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I go backpacking with a crew of dads and sons and trial names take on an important purpose. Every time one of the kids calls for "Dad", 4 heads turn at once. It gets old.

I like my trail name, "TC" because it takes me back to my college days when i was a much happier guy.

Rhino, your just jealous cause the voices are talking to me! Sometimes to make them shut up you have to poke them with a Q-tip.

While Section hiking in Maine I was asked what my trail name was and I didn't have one. I was told that if I didn't come up with one I may get tagged with something unflattering so I decided to go with the name my golfing buddies gave me which is 3Putt.

It's a good thing too because while hiking in Colorado the day after eating buffalo meatloaf with gravy I was known as Intestinal Issues.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

in a dream

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++