WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Cell phone coverage, Kincora to Damascus

OK cell phone haters, no ribbin. I normally don't take a cell w/ me on hikes,,,,, but,,,,, I own/operate a landscape business, have done/will do plenty of marketing this season,,, and will also be joining my thru hiker friend, Diablo, in about a week for a section from Kincora to Damascus. I don't want to wait and return messages of prospective clients after the trip. Immediate, same-day return call is best for new business. My plan is to check messages/make calls once a day (of course, out of ear shot from any hiker). I'm hoping for excellent cell coverage in this section. Anybody.....

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

We didn't have any coverage with US Cellular in the Kincora area about 1.5 yrs ago and none in Damascus with US Cellular or Cingular. Did get a signal last year in the wild pony area at Grayson Highlands with Cingular.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Same with Verizon. Nada until we got into Damascus.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I have cingular and got no reception between pearisburg and the south end of the smokies (except at the shelter in laurel fork gorge). Biggest service gap in the south.

Images

Zero at Kincora, spotty from Vanderventer to Abingdon Gap and sometimes in Damascus. I had Verizon at the time.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Why is it that people hate others taking cell phones with them? If you don't use it except for an emergency then whats the big deal. The only prob I could see is others getting upset at people talking on them at shelters since everyone is in there together, like trying to get sleep or something.

I don't see getting upset about it, I take mine with me anytime I'm going somewhere where I could need it in an emergency.

Images

Was not an issue for me as I did a fall/winter SOBO, but I always practive LNT cell phone usage. I don't care to hear others conversations...

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Big Dawg, since this is a business thing you might want to look into renting a satellite phone for a month - and having your cell number forwarded to that or having someone else take care of calls that come in that week. You won't have the coverage needed to do it yourself in that section.

Images

Lightbulb Outfitter Satellite in Nashville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    ,,,, I own/operate a landscape business, have done/will do plenty of marketing this season,,. I don't want to wait and return messages of prospective clients after the trip. Immediate, same-day return call is best for new business. My plan is to check messages/make calls once a day (of course, out of ear shot from any hiker). I'm hoping for excellent cell coverage in this section. Anybody.....
    If you do consider a satellite phone, check with these folks--
    http://www.outfittersatellite.com/

Although they have excellent "footprints" (satellite's coverage area) in North America, you still have to get line-of-sight, so being down in a holler or behind a mountain might even kill satellite phone service. Outfitter Satellite can explain all that to you.

RainMan

P.S. In the interests of full disclosure, I'm their legal counsel.

Last edited by Rain Man; 03-24-2007 at 11:42.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Thanks all,,,, I'll prolly have calls forwarded to my wife, and let her set appointments.

My friend Diablo is rockin on the trail,,,, started 2/28 and just arrived in Erwin, TN yesterday. He's havin a great time. Can't wait to meet up w/ him at Kincora!

++ New Posts ++