WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GAME 2000
    Images

Default Brown Fork Gap Shelter

Images

I enjoyed staying at Brown Fork when I did the NOC --> Fontana section. The only thing I didn't like was the "moat" that separated the sleeping area w/ the bench area. Anyone else have an issue w/ this?

GAME 2000
    Images

Default About the 'moat'.

Yes, I did. On my thru-hike I got to the shelter late in the day after it was about 2/3 full, which meant there was plenty of room for me. However, the folks that were already there had blocked off any entrence because they were using the shelf for cooking, storing their boots, etc. I waited politely and even cooked outside standing up while the whole time no one made an effort to clear me a path. (It didn't help that there were a couple of 'shelter hogs' already inside.) Finally, I had to make a 'low keyed demand' that someone clear a path so I could get in the shelter. Wasn't as big a deal as it sounds, but it was something I always remembered. It is great once you're in, but it is a major pain when you are trying to get in or out... I look it is as a negative overall, but can understand the logic behind it because you can sit at the edge of the sleeping platform and cook on the shelf. Unfortunately some of the folks I was trying to share the shelter with didn't feel the need to clear a path for others. These 'shelter hogs' can be a pain in any shelter, but their inconsiderate attitudes were magnified by the 'moat' because you can't easily step over their stuff or easily move it out of your way.

Youngblood

Images

I love that shelter, find the "moat" part of it's uneque character. The reason I love it: I was close to succumbing to Hypothermia when i got to it, Wouldn't have been able to set up the tarp Or any other shelter that day if it hadnt been there. To my eyes, it is one of the most beautiful shelters on the AT

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Great shelter at a great location.

Good water source, but running a little on the light side.

Our Crew called the privy "The View"......it's four posts holding up a roof with a throne like seat. All I needed was my scepter............
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

I never stayed there overnight, but always make a point to use the privy when passing through.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

It doesn't have the side wall anymore......or any other wall for that matter.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

What's the area around this shelter like for tenting? How about Brown Fork Gap, are there decent camp spots there?

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Here's a pic looking out from BFG Shelter. It was really nasty and the "moat" was alive and well.

As far as the privy, it had no sides, but good cell reception! None near the shelter though.

Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Update

As of 2021 July 8, this shelter is in pretty good shape, including its moat. No major trash issues, and the low level of graffiti surprised me. Water was flowing fine.

I passed by Brown Fork shelter several times and there's a great little gap on the AT just north of the Shelter so you can avoid howls and farts and social interaction at the shelter---Here's "my" little gap camp---

57-12 I make it to Brown Fork Gap where there is water-XL.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 13-05-54 Carter Gap Appalachian Trail Shelter Topo Map in Macon.png
    The shelter is red circle and my gap camp is yellow and there's a little spring water source just below my gap as pictured in blue.

57-28 Willow preparing to leave Brown Fork Gap-XL.jpg
    One time I shared the gap with Amy Willow who thruhiked in 2006.

++ New Posts ++