WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Sugarloaf Ski Lodge

.6 miles off AT on sidetrail (which goes up, up, up)

Sleeping space for 50+, this old abandoned ski lodge still has power (and a microwave!), and is home to trail crews throughout the year. 360 degree views of the bigelows, saddlebacks, and on a VERY clear day katadin, it stays comfortably warm in the summertime. The nearest water is .3 miles down the trail at a box sprin, which is medium in size. Make sure to check out the old gondollas in the basement!

Brian
    Thru-Hiker 2013

I've stayed there a few times, although I never saw any gold. It's a great place right after a rain storm as you can see Mt. Washington and the Big K from one place. It is also great to be during a blasting lightening storm, flashes from every direction as there are windows all around the huge round building.

From the MATC
    The Sugarloaf summit building is now closed to the hiking public and that no camping is allowed above treeline on the Appalachian Trail in Maine, signs were placed at the Carrabassett River bootleg campsite, the junction of the Sugarloaf side trail, the Sugarloaf summit building and at Spaulding shelter. This was in response to complaints of trash and human waste due to the lack of sanitation facilities on the privately-owned Sugarloaf summit.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Thats too bad. It was a welcome haven for us last year when we got caught in a bad storm just as we came to the side trail. Made it to the ski lodge just before all hell broke loose and overnighted there. Ceiling leaked during the night and we had to be carefull where we rolled out our sleeping bags.

Did note the lack of a privy and thought sooner or later it would be an issue ...but there are a lot of places outside on the summit where you can "take care of business".

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

The AT hiker community needs to be extra careful to NOT abuse the priviledge of using the Bromley warming hut in Vermont.

If another hiker is doing harm to a warming hut or any AT shelter, we need to step in and stop that kind of behavior. Otherwise, we all lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The AT hiker community needs to be extra careful to NOT abuse the priviledge of using the Bromley warming hut in Vermont.

If another hiker is doing harm to a warming hut or any AT shelter, we need to step in and stop that kind of behavior. Otherwise, we all lose.
    how exactly do you plan to " step in and stop that kind of behavior"?

Images

LW, you were good to step in when you saw unacceptable behavior at The Place. I am saying that the good guys & gals need to step in when they observe abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    LW, you were good to step in when you saw unacceptable behavior at The Place. I am saying that the good guys & gals need to step in when they observe abuse.
    i live here and can go there many times a day so it's easy to enforce rules

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    From the MATC
    The Sugarloaf summit building is now closed to the hiking public and that no camping is allowed above treeline on the Appalachian Trail in Maine, signs were placed at the Carrabassett River bootleg campsite, the junction of the Sugarloaf side trail, the Sugarloaf summit building and at Spaulding shelter. This was in response to complaints of trash and human waste due to the lack of sanitation facilities on the privately-owned Sugarloaf summit.
    I don't know where the MATC got this information from but I called Sugarloaf last we to verify this for our upcoming 2009 Appalachian Pages book. Danny Barker who is the head groomer and in charge of the summit house for Sugarloaf said the summit house is open and will remain open for hikers.

I anyone has been to the summit house this year and it was closed could you please verify this and let me know the dats because it was suppose to be open.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I don't know where the MATC got this information from
    MATC got it from the MATC's Dick Fecteau, the overseer of the Bigelow District.
    http://www.matc.org/overseer.htm
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you TJ, I justed emailed Dick.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

I don't know where the MATC got this information from but I called Sugarloaf last we to verify this for our upcoming 2009 Appalachian Pages book. Danny Barker who is the head groomer and in charge of the summit house for Sugarloaf said the summit house is open and will remain open for hikers.

I anyone has been to the summit house this year and it was closed could you please verify this and let me know the dats because it was suppose to be open.
    ==========================

If you talk to Danny Barker again I suggest you ask him to consider hauling up a couple porta-potties or to dig a hole and build a solid privy.

Another thing ...there is NO water on the summit at the ski lodge. Good news is that there is a spring about half way to the summit along side the trail. On our way up there last year we filled up a 4 Liter Platy that got us through dinner, breakfast and gave us a starting water supply as we set out in the morning.

'Slogger

Images

MATC got it from the MATC's Dick Fecteau, the overseer of the Bigelow District.
    http://www.matc.org/overseer.htm
    Did you notice the part about the guy fording the Kennebec?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

While thur-hiking this year I was told by another thru-hiker he needed to to stay in the lodge and the next morrning he was asked by a worker for Sugarloaf " did you sleep in the lodge last nite, because you could be fine for doing so." Of cause he said no.

Thank you TJ, I justed emailed Dick.
    So did I, he's gonna wonder what's going on!
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    If you talk to Danny Barker again I suggest you ask him to consider hauling up a couple porta-potties or to dig a hole and build a solid privy.
    That'd be a very good idea, hikers had soiled it and the area around pretty bad the last time I was up there in August (September?) '06.
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ==========================

If Mr Barker is kind enough to let hikers use his facility, then it seems to me that the AT Community should ask Mr Barker for permission for hikers to do the aforementioned work.

Asking Mr Barker to do the work seems like a good way to lose this resource.

That'd be a very good idea, hikers had soiled it and the area around pretty bad the last time I was up there in August (September?) '06.
    I don't know much about this establishment, always passed by it never even seen it. But if I was a caretaker, or whatever, that would really piss me off and I'd probably close it. Hearing about this kind of stuff just erks me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

Asking Mr Barker to do the work seems like a good way to lose this resource.
    ===============================

You're most likely correct. It was just a thought because when I was up there last year that seemed to be the only thing missing in terms of it being a good overnight shelter.

'Slogger

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got off the phone with Sugarloaf again and they asked that we list the summit house as closed. I am sure TJ will come back with the same information and confirm this.

The reason is due to lack of sanitary facilities. I asked about putting an privy or a port-a-poti and they said not at there expense and then went on and explained that they did not want a privy up there. They also said that the summit house will be torn down and rebuilt sometime in the future.
    Last edited by attroll; 10-03-2008 at 10:20.
    AT Troll (2010)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++