WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: bus station

Images

Question bus station

how far is bus station from train station,in new york , we are going to bear mtn new york
    wolf

About 8 city blocks.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Which bus station, which train station? Penn Station and Port Authority? Eight short blocks is correct.

Port Authority (bus station) to Grand Central (train) station is an easy 20 or 30 minute walk. Just head due east from Port Authority. I did it in full hiking regalia last summer. It was fun.

Images

we are coming from pa.getting bus to bear mtn new york then hiking to mass.
    wolf

Then you would likely be coming in on Amtrak or a NJ Transit train (much cheaper) to Penn Station. The bus to Bear Mountain leaves from Port Authority. There are other options to get there http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html as well as the cheapo Chinese busses from Philadelphia if money is an issue. You can also walk up the Long Path to Harriman from the GW bridge but it is a much longer walk than from Penn Station to Port Authority.

When you get to Penn Station, follow signs to the Eighth Avenue exit, or ask any employee if you don't see signs.

When you come out onto Eighth you will see the big post office occupying the entire block between 31st and 33rd across the avenue: http://www.rachelleb.com/images/post_office_1.jpg . Make sure you read the inscription: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Facing the post office, turn right up Eighth Avenue, going uptown. Port Authority will be between 40th and 42nd, so make sure the streets are going in the right direction. You can't miss it, it has giant green trusses: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y-terminal.jpg . It will also have a traffic jam out front.

This isn't a bad little map: http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/NYC_HOJ2.map.gif .
    The two red rectangles in the lower left corner are Port Authority and Penn Station/Madison Square Garden.

Images

When my friend came through the Port Authority on his way south last summer, he was wearing his backpack (as you will be) and was approached and ripped off by con artists. One distracted him while the other riffled through the back of his pack. They didn't get any super-important stuff, but took everything they could get their hands on, including his trail book and maps. Very annoying!

I don't say this to make you afraid of the PA. In the early '90's, when it was much hairier in the Times Square area, I commuted through there daily with no problems. But, it does seem like there might be folks targetting backpackers, or people who don't look like they're from the area. So be on your toes!

Jane in CT

Here's an idea: When you step out of Port Authority, just ask someone, "Excuse me, could you direct me to Grand Central Station?" New Yorkers are incredibly friendly that way. I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Here's an idea: When you step out of Port Authority, just ask someone, "Excuse me, could you direct me to Grand Central Station?" New Yorkers are incredibly friendly that way. I'm serious.
    That wouldn't work very well if he arrived at Penn Station and wanted to go to Port Authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    That wouldn't work very well if he arrived at Penn Station and wanted to go to Port Authority.
    You really had to put some effort into missing my point, but hey, you persevered and pulled it off. Way to go!

++ New Posts ++