WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Cooper Brook Falls Lean-To in the 100 mile wilderness is located in a great spot next to a wallfall right on the trail. The falls can really thunder after a heavy rain.

I have never understood why shelters are so often a 1/4 mile or more off the AT. Many old time 2000 milers have told me most shelters 30-40 years ago were located right on the trail with a white blaze painted on the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I have never understood why shelters are so often a 1/4 mile or more off the AT. Many old time 2000 milers have told me most shelters 30-40 years ago were located right on the trail with a white blaze painted on the shelter.
    A short approach trail is no problem and helps preserve the "wilderness" feel of the trail. I don't get annoyed unless the approach trail is more than, say, a half-mile or if there's a huge vertical (in either direction.) Limestone Brook Shelter (in CT) for example. In the Whites, the vertical is unavoidable (eg., Guyot Shelter or the Perch.)

Images

Default Shelters and side-trails

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    A short approach trail is no problem and helps preserve the "wilderness" feel of the trail. I don't get annoyed unless the approach trail is more than, say, a half-mile or if there's a huge vertical (in either direction.) Limestone Brook Shelter (in CT) for example. In the Whites, the vertical is unavoidable (eg., Guyot Shelter or the Perch.)
    A lot of the use of approach trails for shelters comes out of the fact that many hikers will "short-cut" to a shelter that's visable from the footpath, and this leads to LOTS of degradation around the shelter. The 1/4 mile distance might be because of terrain or water issues, or possibly land-ownership issues (I don't know how it is in other states, but in Pa., much of the Trail runs across state - not federal - land).

Bob Proudman's (ATC) book on trail design and Leonard's book on backcountry facilities are interesting reads that address some of this. They are very readable, and can give the ordinary hiker a new viewpoint on things that we take for granted on every trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Unique AT Shelter

In my estimation the most unique shelter on the whole AT is the cabin shelter at Upper Goose Pond.
    It is fulley inclosed, has a nice poarch, bunks to sleep on, propane lights, propane stove, two nice privies, a fire place for cold nights, swimming in a beautiful pond and a cheerfull caretaker to make you pancakes and coffee for breakfast. All for just a donation. Folks, let me tell you, it doesn't get much better than that.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Hexacuba shelter, just north of Smarts Mtn. in NH.

I love that shelter.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

ok the ten mile lean to in ct isntdifferent structure wise but the area is where the ten mile river meets the houssatonic and they get up to class 4 rapids which makes a great sound to sleep to other than the usual cricket sounds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++