WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear Insurance

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Cool Gear Insurance

I would like to know if anyone knows of gear insurance. I want to use it not only for here, but for traveling abroad.
    If my gear gets stolen at my home I'm covered, but no provision for when I go hiking.

I have checked the links here on the WB and was not able to find anything. I checked for travelers insurance on the net, but that pretty much covers trip cancellations, and personal health emergencies.

Besides keeping a watchful eye 24/7, I don't know at this time of any other way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Big Maguro

Perhaps someone has looked into trip insurance. You may find a policy that will cover your gear, plus perhaps some other coverage you might find worthwhile. I don't know what the cost would be, but would like to hear.

Images

Homeowners insurance covers items like that, but I would be VERY reluctant to submit a claim for what at most would be a thousand dollars of stuff.

Images

I happened to stumble across this site.

A company abroad.

http://www.globetrekkers.com/sport-a...king-gear.html

Tabasco, my homeowners insurance does not cover anything outside my 4 walls pretty much.

Still looking for more suggestions.

Maguro

I should think the ATC could put together a coverage package for its members and maybe even raise funds that way.

Images

That is a pretty good idea. I would hope that folks wouldn't abuse it by say.... Claiming a Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bag when they took there old Boy/Girl Scout Bag!

I wouldn't put it past some folks.

I will call them and see if they know of this.

Maguro

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    I should think the ATC could put together a coverage package for its members and maybe even raise funds that way.

Images

All the gear insurance you need sits right between your ears and it is free..
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Thumbs up Insurance

Thanks Grouse.

For 2 weeks insurance at $54, I'm there. Same price for the States as well as worldwide.

It covers up to $1000 U.S. Dollars for gear. They have it broken down into "The Big 4" and "the Little 4".

It covers a bunch of other stuff. I need to do some checking up on the company, but I don't think I will have a problem.

Thanks again all for your time and efforts!!!!

Big Maguro

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post

Images

If I may ask, what homeowners ins. do you carry? Most policies cover trip related losses as described in this scenario. I know mine does, but, again, never in a million years would I claim against it.

Images

I doubt very seriously that you will get a good deal on insuring property such as hiking gear. The dollar value is too low. It is probably not a good idea to insure any piece of property with less than a $1,000 deductible. If you carry that high a deductible it just would not be worth while.

The best deal might be to ask your Homeowners agent if you could get a specific endorsement on your homeowners policy Still I doubt it would be a good deal..

Images

Sorry I posted before reply #9.
    $54 for two weeks equals $1400 per year.

I do not think that is a good deal!

Images

That's a good idea as well. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    I doubt very seriously that you will get a good deal on insuring property such as hiking gear. The dollar value is too low. It is probably not a good idea to insure any piece of property with less than a $1,000 deductible. If you carry that high a deductible it just would not be worth while.

The best deal might be to ask your Homeowners agent if you could get a specific endorsement on your homeowners policy Still I doubt it would be a good deal..

Images

This was primarily for 2 weeks in Peru on the Inca Trail. I won't need it all year.
    While I'm on the AT, I can keep a better eye on it than some hotel where pickpocketing is high and you don't know about the Hotel/Hostel there very much. You are right, $1,400 is insane. I don't pay that for auto or homeowners combined 2 fold!

Maguro

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    Sorry I posted before reply #9.
    $54 for two weeks equals $1400 per year.

I do not think that is a good deal!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Homeowners insurance covers items like that, but I would be VERY reluctant to submit a claim for what at most would be a thousand dollars of stuff.
    Tabasco, take a look at my "Law for Backpackers" article in the articles section. I cover this.

Briefly, most homeowners/renters insurance policies will cover losses from theft, fire and other covered perils, even away from your home. Deductibles often (but not always) apply, so check on it.

As for "at most a thousand dollars," many/most policies cover items on a replacement basis. It's not uncommon for people to be carrying a pack with gear and clothing worth up to $2-3,000. That makes it worth it.

You can also hedge your bet by changing your deductible to a low one for the short time (5-6 months) you will be on the trail, and the cost may not be unreasonable.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

For 2 weeks. That is $3,86/day. If it helps you sleep at night, then its worth it. Its cheaper than booze.
    Sounds like an adventure. Have fun!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    As for "at most a thousand dollars," many/most policies cover items on a replacement basis. It's not uncommon for people to be carrying a pack with gear and clothing worth up to $2-3,000. That makes it worth it.
    Ummmmmm, that is exactly what I said good counselor. And, if you check on what happens when you file a $ 3,000 clain on your homeowners insurance, you will discover that they will recoup that $ 3,000 in approx 2 years through elevated premiums as a "high risk" insured.

On a side note, please spell out what a hiker is carrying that can cost $ 3000?
    GEAR, not a one carat diamond in his back pocket.

to hell with gear weight spreadsheets, I wanna see the $ 3000 pack list. Sgt Rock has the $ 300 challenge. I wanna see the $ 3,000 challenge. Anyone?

Ummmmmm, that is exactly what I said good counselor. And, if you check on what happens when you file a $ 3,000 clain on your homeowners insurance, you will discover that they will recoup that $ 3,000 in approx 2 years through elevated premiums as a "high risk" insured.

On a side note, please spell out what a hiker is carrying that can cost $ 3000?
    GEAR, not a one carat diamond in his back pocket.

to hell with gear weight spreadsheets, I wanna see the $ 3000 pack list. Sgt Rock has the $ 300 challenge. I wanna see the $ 3,000 challenge. Anyone?
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...?t=9807&page=3
    Post #86
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Well, you're wrong, as usual, Tabasco. This time, almost a record: Wrong twice in one post. First, that's not what you said. Second, most insurance companies will not bust your premium until you file multiple claims, usually 3. One claim for $3,000 (less the deductible) won't do it. It also depends on the amount of the claim; those companies that will raise premiums usually do so only if one of the claims is over a set amount, such as 7,500.

If in doubt, contact your agent. But you're wrong, Tabasco. Sorry; no cigar.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Saved me the effort. I don't think that list has a cell phone on it, either, which is worth anothe couple hundred (either list or by cost of a new activation).

Thanks, Alligator.

The Weasel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++