WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Congdon Shelter

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Default Congdon Shelter

Trail passes right by the shelter's front door. It's cute -- it looks like a cabin with little windows. Has four bunks inside and picnic table both inside and outside the shelter. Water comes from the stream that flows just in front of the shelter.

- Ivy

Images

Default Photos

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Congdon was a small, dark, cramped cabin back in the 70's before they knocked out the front. I spent a lovely warm August afternoon in the "front yard" overlooking the stream after a short day from Seth Warner since, at the time, the next NOBO shelter was 21 miles away.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Spent a rainy Friday night in Congdon. Easily fit 7...could hold a baker's dozen easy. Hikers going Nobo wouldn't know this but seeing where the stream comes from you should consider treating/filtering.

Let it be known that Matthewski not only cooked but also slept in this shelter. I'm going to need some help policing next time he starts one of his shelter-pee-sucks-broadcasting-blazeless-MS rants and cries foul on shelters. Mother always said that incongruity was the spice of life.

Love you, Matty.

Johnny

Congdon is still a cozy little shelter. Ample hooks for hanging stuff, a couple make-shift clotheslines. It's a little muddy out in front now.

The Shelter.
    Inside, looking for bars.
    Ready to head out.
    The view out front.

A couple of mice ran across us during the night, and were promptly booted.
    The fire pit is in need of repair, as is the privy (which is nearly overflowing.)

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Default Tenting

What's the area around this shelter look like for tenting? Is there some room, and if so how much? Looks like there may be some room from the pictures in the previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    What's the area around this shelter look like for tenting? Is there some room, and if so how much? Looks like there may be some room from the pictures in the previous posts.
    If memory serves, that view facing out from the shelter is sloped and very rocky as is the rest of the immediate vicinity. We spent a morning there drying out boots a couple years ago. I don't recall if there was a designated tent area.

As you are standing looking at the shelter, turn left and head up the slight rise. There is a faint trail leading back 25yds or so to some tent sites. I've also seen people tent well in front of the shelter as well as across the stream.

Cosmo

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

I think that the best spot is across the stream which is approximately 45 degrees toward the left looking out from the shelter. I know that location has space for at least 6 tents.

As Quoddy said, there is a nice spot just across the stream (which also serves as the water source.) Maybe 20-30 yards away from the shelter/trail.

Virginia Tortoise

I did this section last summer and camped about a half mile past the shelter on the left side of the trail going northbound. Nice slightly sloped area for tenting.

Images

Default Tenting

There is a spot for about 2 tents directly to the left and about 20' from the shelter (if facing out from the shelter). There is also a spot for 2 tents to the right. Take the trail to the privy, and there is a sign pointing to the trail for those spots.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    There is a spot for about 2 tents directly to the left and about 20' from the shelter (if facing out from the shelter). There is also a spot for 2 tents to the right. Take the trail to the privy, and there is a sign pointing to the trail for those spots.
    Crap, I mixed this one up with Kid Gore. There were a few ok spots around Congdon, but nothing to write home about. There were 3 tents set up when I got there, and I had to set up on a spot that was fairly rooty across the stream. Slept fine on the POE Ether though.

++ New Posts ++