WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered Troll
    Images

Default Anyone feel fall coming?

It's the last week of August. Anyone notice signs of fall?

Still hot as ever down here, but I know by the calendar and the angle of the sun that cooler nights and days will arrive soon in the mountains. Almost time for that first hike, after a long summer hibernation in the air conditioning.

Images

Its getting hot again here in Md ,but we got an awsome taste of early fall this weekend!!! It was In the low 80s with about 45% humidity (after almost daily rain and high humidity for over 2 months) Nice light breeze and sunny blue skies!!! Even today it got to about 87 or so and the humidity went back up but it still has that end of summer feeling. Its got me going in 3 diferent directions at once LOL I cant remember the name of the town in maine but on the news they said it had a low of 31 this morning. we had a low in the upper 40s to upper 50s around MD . With all this rain ,the trout fishing ought to be great this fall!! Can you tell fall is my favorite season??!!! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Images

Here in the Whites we've had a few cool nights in a row, high 40's and mid 50's in the valleys. Yesterday morning I noticed a slight change in the hue of the mountainsides. We've got a few maples turning red a tint of yellow in the birches.

Yea I can tell it's getting near fall, the menu boards at the restaraunts arent as legible as when the students are here working. They used to say Blackened Scallops with pineapple salsa, sundried tomatoes and goat chesse, now it just says
    ................................See Cook
    .................................Ask waiter
    Thats when you can tell fall is near here on the outer banks.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Definitely -- I was up in the Green Mountains in Vermont last weekend and we awoke to temperatures in the 40's. It is actually kind of nice... definitely killed off those remaining skeeters!

I imagine with all the rain we've gotten this summer, the fall colors will be absolutely spectacular this year.

- Ivy

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Mornings aren't as cool in southeast Michigan as in the Northeast, but you can still tell that summer is coming to an end by the way it feels in the morning. I can't wait, since my annual Fall backpacking trip is only 7 weeks away!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Nope,

Sunny Florida doesn't get a hint of Fall until late October :-(... But, we get summer sooner :-)

Smile yes indeedy

I was outside this AM and while it wasn't cool, I could definitely feel it in the air. Bring it, is what I say.

Brrrr....Had some frost and a sighting of ...omg dare I say it snow here in Maine...brrrrr

GAME 2000
    Images

I watched a college football game last night so fall must be here! However, it don't fill like it outside.

Youngblood, near Hotlanta.

Just today I noticed the sawgrass plumes are turning white here in north Florida.

Images

It's 99 degrees in Nashville today with what feels like 110% humidity. Leaves are falling, but from heat exhaustion.....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Talking

Yup its really starting to feel like fall now ,I just came from the grocery store and the shelves are stocked with Halloween candy and decorations! SHEESH!! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Streamweaver, I see you're in Bawlmer CO...I'm in Towson....drop me an e-mail....

Images

Smile

Originally posted by Lilredmg
    It's 99 degrees in Nashville today with what feels like 110% humidity. Leaves are falling, but from heat exhaustion.....
    Now, now... I bet you two-to-one that the humidity never got above 99% today! LOL

Also in Nashville....

Rain Man

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

yep, fall is fast aproaching. days are cooler, which is nice because with fall comes marching band once again, and school starts thursday. no more am i free to wander as i please, atleast summer will come again.

norther NJ is turning a little cooler, few leaves even fell of the tree in the back yard. should be a nice autumn this year though.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Mountains getting cooler

Just checked out the forecast for the Pisgah/Shining Rock/Middle Prong area. Temps in the lowlands (Andrews, Robbinsville, Asheville) are supposed to start dropping to the 50s next week and the 40s the following week. So assuming 10 degrees cooler at altitude (5000-6000 feet), it'll be time soon to start the hiking season.

Will probably go to Pisgah for a few days soon, then out to Colorado's West Elk Wilderness in late September. Been wetter in CO this year so the aspens should be nice. Low temps in Gunnison are already in the 40s/30s and forecast to be in the mid-20s the week after next!

Images

It's hard to believe tomorrow is September 1st and it's still really hot here in Atlanta but man am I ready for the leaves to change.

WB
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Registered Troll
    Images

It's that time of summer when the days are getting shorter, and I can already tell a difference in the angle of the sun from the June solstice. Fall is on the way. Not here yet, but I hear that points north of here will get a taste of fall this weekend. Even down here, it only got into the 80s today, and is expected to plunge into the 60s tonight!

Images

But it is still hot as all get out down here in Louisiana. I am looking forward to fall in the Smokies.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++