WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I got up at 5 this morning so I could attend sunrise services. As close readers know, I'm a skeptic. But the church sits on the banks of the Kennebec River estuary about a mile from my house. It has to rank among the prettiest sites for a church anywhere. WE stood for a half hour and watched the sun peak over the horizon right on schedule. It's never late, never early. Some think that shows the wisdom of God. I like to attribute it to the laws of physics.,

While others were singing and praying, I enjoyed the sun gradually lighting the islands in the river. Early migrating birds set up a chorus of songs, probably praying to their Gods to melt the snow from this weeks early spring storm so they could get something to eat.

A great blue heron flew by and no one seemed to notice. I was tempted to shout. "look!" but decided against it.

Everyone later crowded into a new hall that was finished a few weeks ago for pancakes and real maple syrup. That was another reason for my attendance. I wanted to see the inside of the new building and how it fit with the 1802 church. The designers did well -- on everything except the electric circuits. The pancake grills kept blowing the circuit breakers.

Oh well. Nothings perfect.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Moxie, do you know what lobster like to eat? Like chickens...
    Lobsters are scavengers. They eat garbage. That's why they're one of the few marine species that aren't particularly endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    It is the way life should be for those who come for the three weeks that are decent in the summer.
    I assume you mean after black fly season. Meaning in August.

Images

Question Who can start Weary's mower?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Why in a week or two I can start mowing my two acres again. Well, if I can get the machine started, I put it away early last October after it failed to start.

The big decision. Whether to gamble that it got well over the winter, or take it to the repair shop now. I think I'll wait. I've gotten better over the winter. Maybe my mower did the same. Maybe. Just maybe.

Weary
    You should have asked Jester2000 to start your mower for you on March 17. I've heard the luck of the Irish peaks on St. Paddy's Day, but it's probably less now. Maybe Five Leafed Clover could get it started?
    Last edited by emerald; 04-08-2007 at 15:07. Reason: A run-on sentence!

Default Spring, round # 3

Another Dump of snow is here, NOBO's slow down!Or else y'all be treading snow when you hit NH. Looking for up to 1'0" of snow overnight. This is becoming the never ending winter of 07.LOL
    WALK ON

Ayah Woodsy, April 12th and another 6 to 12 inches before tomorrow. On Sunday night we expect another major snow storm. I think the ski areas in Maine should plan to open on New Years Day and close after a big fireworks display on the 4th of July. I may take my April vacation in Alaska so I can get some golf in. I don't think we will have any spring in Maine this year. Just looked out the window and we have whiteout conditions. It's part of the adventure of living here. Gotta love it. Yesterday I was on my motor scooter and tonight I'll take out my snowmobile.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

WHITE-OUT it is , Get the SLED out! Or snowshoes, Or skis. We ain't goin far on wheels tonight!
    WALK ON

Images

How's the weather inland? Sleet/slush on the coast. Glad it will be warm today. Had sun the other day! Almost a "normal" high!

Bwwwaaahh!

Mother Nature is really tormenting me this year. Last year we had wood frogs on the 9th, and peepers on the 13th. Gonna be awhile.

ENOUGH ALREADY!
    All snow inland, bout 8-10". Another big east coast storm brewing
    Heard the Woodcock squaking yesterday morn, this aughta shut him up for awhile.
    WALK ON

Default Spring comes to Maine

Winter, Pat from Maine and I left NH when the temps were near zero with 6-8 inches of snow on the ground. We got to GA when the temp was near 90. Winter still had her winter coat on and Pat and I were using our G4 packs with our thermarests against our backs. We enjoyed re-hiking the Springer to Neels Gap section but the heat was not good for us. We visited the AT at many trail crossings and trail towns on our way home. It was a great vacation but by the time we got home there was 4-6 inches of snow in my driveway. I'm thinking that we're just going to go straight to summer and just skip spring this year. I keep putting my snowblower away only to have to get it back out for more snow. Pat and I especially like to hike in the spring and the fall. I have 4 or 5 external frame packs that I haven't used in years that I may get ready for hiking again.

Images

My resident tail-wagging woodcock must have bugged out to the golf course a couple days ago. Did watch a robin pull a worm in the sleet last PM. I hope everyone tends to their "drainage," as we are gonna get it Monday.

Except for Woodsy. He gets all snow. He likes snow.

Cool Another bvig one tomorrow

It's Saturday afternoon and I just shoveled 12 inches of snow off the back patio to make room for what we are getting tomorrow. Sooner or later one of these storm has to have some rain in it. Rain on the coast of Maine but here I literally have to shovel out my first floor windows to see out. Tomorrow is supposed to one of thr bigger storms of the year. I am flying to tropical Chicago next week for some fun in the sun. I love Maine and nothern New England but it is time we shared winter with some other part of the country. Tomorrow may be the first year the Boston Marathon is run in snowshoes.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Exclamation Round#4 of spring

Tis the season, this from the weather channel

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 PM EDT MONDAY.
    EXPECT A TOTAL OF 10 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF WESTERN MAINE AND NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE... WITH 6 TO 12 INCHES IN THE FOOTHILLS. SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON...AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT. SNOW WILL MIX WITH RAIN AT TIMES MONDAY. EXPECT UP TO TWO FEET OF SNOW IN ELEVATIONS OVER 1500 FEET.

IN ADDITION...WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF A HEAVY WET SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT POWER OUTAGES.

Hiking? Whats that?
    WALK ON

Sauntering vaugely southward ozt42's Avatar

Good thing I put off my plans for a little tune up hike up Goose eye this week...

No kidding , I've been putting off a tune up hike for about a month now and am getting waaaay out of tune. I had been planning a trek into Little Bigelow via the tubbs shelter but..........
    WALK ON

Images

Default spring snows

Here in S. Piscataquis county the snow from last week is mostly settled out and is on a melt down, unfortunately later this PM and evening we're going to be in for heavy wet snow/rain/sleet and high winds( gusts to 50mph) with upwoards of an additonal 2' more of snow for the mts. I'm at the foothills of'em....we're in the 6-12" range.... ..rain dance anyone?
    does "blowdowns" ring a bell? I feel sorry for the trail maintainers this Spring, if we can ever call it that. The Pleasant river is pretty much free of ice and flowing smoothly all the way to the Penobscot over in Howland. In it's upper reaches of the AT it's breaking up however very slowly and flooding is a major concern here, I only have 2 sets of railroad tracks between me and the river!...thankfully a higher elevation than most below/above me...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Default Spring comes to Maine

It started snowing here at 7:00 AM this morning. I'm thinking we are going to go straight from winter to summer....no spring....no black flies.

another 2 feet of snow at the loaf!!!! hell yes!
    this year can't get any better
    we've had 5 feet 5 FEET in april alone!!!!
    the best stuff ever too real good snow
    and they still are going to close next weekend with 7 feet of snow in april...
    Brian

Images

Unhappy Dubious black fly forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I'm thinking we are going to go straight from winter to summer....no spring....no black flies.
    That's nothing more than wishful thinking about the black flies. When they become active this year, they'll be hyperactive, trying to make up for lost time!

Images

Question Some questions ...

Does anyone have numbers on total snowfall in Maine and how does this year's accumulation compare to record years past?

What location in Maine gets the most snow?

Has ice out occurred on the Stillwater River and Penobscot?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++