WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Goddard Shelter

cleanest shelter we have seen. Didnt stay but did notice the cleanliness. We were up there last night

Images

I stayed there in August with my daughter and her friend during a pretty bad rainstorm. Eight total + a dog in the shelter and it was dry thanks to the big overhang. It was clean as well and we had no mice or insect issues. Spring just before shelter was running okay even before the rain. The privy is pretty disgusting though - literally thousands of flies and bees and all sorts of bugs.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    The privy is pretty disgusting though - literally thousands of flies and bees and all sorts of bugs.
    That privy was very nice when I stayed there in the beginning of July. I guess the season was just starting then.

My first section hike on the AT many years ago included a stay at the Goddard Shelter and I assumed every shelter would be as nice, I look forward to my next stay there very much!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

0713111039.jpgStayed at the Goddard Shelter July2011. Nice place, clean and yes, great water. Side note: If you’re interested in hiking intoBennington and don’t want to hike down to Highway 9, you can take the BlueBlaze which will dump you out on the east side of town, just a couple of blocksfrom the business district.

Images

Passed this shelter back in June, the bugs were so bad that we ended up moving on after only a few minutes stay. Went up the fire tower and then spent the night at Kid Gore.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    Passed this shelter back in June, the bugs were so bad that we ended up moving on after only a few minutes stay. Went up the fire tower and then spent the night at Kid Gore.
    Bugs are a big problem around Goddard in June. Things are better now that it's late July. The spring at the shelter is still running nicely.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Bugs are a big problem around Goddard in June. Things are better now that it's late July. The spring at the shelter is still running nicely.
    I would love to return if the bugs aren't as bad, beautiful shelter with a beautiful view. The water source was perfect when we were there too, and what would beat watching the sunset in the tower?

Favorite shelter, favorite mountain, the Dr. Seuss writing on the privy wall kept me busy for a minute... Lovely fire tower.

up image.jpg Was up there a few weeks ago, did a weekend hike. Met 4 awesome guys who meet up every summer and hike a section of the LT. Got a picture with 3 of them (Me on far left, and my puppy Vix in front). Hung out all evening, and all morning, and hiked out with them halfway to Route 9 where I broke ahead to get water quicker. A lot of garbage and items (water gun, fire crackers, Coleman propane stove, two t shirts, 3 things of sunscreen), made my walk out quite annoying as I had a heavier pack walking out instead of lighter. Oh well, I believe in LNT ethics, maybe one day, they will too.

Images

I have always wanted to stay there the night of the 4th of july to hang in the tower and see if you can see any fireworks shows in the area. I think that would be cool.

You can see fireworks from every direction. Did it a few years ago. Def worth doing.

"Problem Bear" at Goddard no longer a problem. They killed the bear.

https://www.benningtonbanner.com/sto...-trail,579435?

Most likely, this bear was habituated because hikers could/would not store their food appropriately. Admittedly, it's physically difficult to hang food in this location as it's mostly sub-alpine fir/spruce. I have seen food hung from the fire tower structure nearby. Of course the problem never would have occurred if hikers were required to use bear canisters on the AT (trolling a bit here, I'll admit). Still, the death of this animal can be said to be directly a result of LT/AT hiker behaviour. We should think about that, and consider the broader ramifications of our actions in the backcountry.

Cosmo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++