WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Older hikers

Default Older hikers

Looking for info on older hikers on the trail.Thanks

Default Older hikers

What kind of older hiker information are you looking for?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goosespencer View Post
    Looking for info on older hikers on the trail.Thanks
    No such thing. We all become young once we get on the trail. A bit slower than the crowd, but still young.

Great answer Weary, I was chasing EZ1 for days in the register in 2004 I finaly caught up with him on a rainy day in PA only because he was taking it easy on some slippery rocks.
    He was 81 years young on his second Thru hike and his fourth end to end. I think of him often and hope that the good Lord see's fit to bless me with his good grace so I can still be burning up the trail when I am 81. I saw a picture of him here on whiteblaze just as I remember him smiling from under his rain hood with his home made pack and gear. In a word "Awesome"

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

What's the cutoff age ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Everybody's older than somebody. Nobody's older than the mountains. Somebody younger than you is in worse shape. Go for it.
    Last edited by ImkerVS; 04-11-2007 at 09:05.

Gotta agree with Weary. On my first month long section hike with my husband, an older couple in nice clean looking clothes with nice neat little packs came up behind us near a picnic area.

I told my husband to pick up the pace. They whooped us. Flew right by amidst pleasant hello's!

As we dragged ourself to the next shelter, happy to see someone was already there and had a tent set up. Who was already finished cooking Mac and Cheese? The older couple! They SERIOUSLY whooped us. Not only that - they had started out 8 miles South of where we had camped the night before. Now they had ULTIMATELY whooped us.

They were happy for company since they were celebrating passing the 1000 mile marker and shared sandwiches they brought up for their "party". It was the second or third time they had thru-hiked, or attempted a thru-hike.
    This was our first experience with older thru hikers, and they were in great shape. 70's I believe. Trailname (collectively) "CNN". What great folks!

I was humbled and inspired. I want to be just like them when I am their age!
    Last edited by Smile; 04-11-2007 at 09:08.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Maybe they mean stuff that needs to be done different.

I don't mend anywhere near as quick anymore. Enters my thought process when ever I see some "I remember when" stunt.

Days of sleeping on the ground are over for me.

Ice is not nice.

Hot food brightens the mood.

It is always nice to get onto asphalt fom dirt.

I need to write more stuff down. I wish I had written down the 80's...

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The dino nickname was given to us by our grandkids - many of whom now have kids of their own who are carrying on the tradition. We are slower and more careful than we used to be and carry a bit warmer gear than we once did. We don't care about speed or covering lots of miles anymore - the joy is in the journey.

I hiked the trail when my first social security check came in and one of the things I was pleased to discover was that all thru hikers were hikers, period.
    I felt as comfortable with a 17 year old hiker as I did with the few my own age. Another thing that astounded me and I will never forget as long as I live was the equality all thru hikers enjoyed. Everyone was equal, white, black, man, woman, arab or jew. We all shared a goal, Maine and we all worked and hiked together to reach it. There was no "womens work' or "young peoples work" at shelters and campsites. I never felt old on the trail and was never treated any different than any fellow hiker. I see no need to create catogories of hikers like young, old, or by sex, race , religion or nationality. The trail can be a great equalizer and hikers are only as old as they feel. (I feel about 21 when I'm out there, wish I looked 21)
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    IEveryone was equal, white, black, man, woman, arab or jew. We all shared a goal, Maine and we all worked and hiked together to reach it.
    How many Blacks, Arabs and Jews did you meet on the trail... and how did you distinguish the Arabs and Jews? I know this has been discussed before, but I don't see that many people-of-color on the trail, except occasionally as part of organized groups. I can only guess why.

Stereotypes are not all wrong (far fetched), unfortunately just "politically incorrect" these days.

Mudhead - you're YOUNG!
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    I don't see that many people-of-color on the trail, except occasionally as part of organized groups. I can only guess why.
    No guessing needed. Since there is no barrier to their hiking the AT except inclination, they have less inclination than whites do to hike the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    No guessing needed. Since there is no barrier to their hiking the AT except inclination, they have less inclination than whites do to hike the AT.
    pretty much it in a nut shell.

Default Older hikers

Older hikers tend to listen to their bodies more than the young ones do or is it that the older bodies speak louder?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    ...or is it that the older bodies speak louder?
    ====================================

Older hikers can do everything younger hikers can ...it just takes a little longer sometimes.

'Slogger

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Heats up drawn butter and smacks lips :::

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    What's the cutoff age ??

'Slogger
    I hiked in 1993 and celebrated my 64th birthday two weeks into my walk north. I met a guy who was 77 and considerably faster than I was.

Earl Shaffer completed the trail a few weeks shy of his 80th birthday.

I met Paw Paw on the summit of Saddleback a few years ago, 150 miles shy of Katahdin. He was 82.

I don't think the cut off age has been established yet. I doubt if it ever will be.

I returned from a funeral an hour ago. Among the people at the reception was a woman, 70 plus, who is active in leading local land trust hikes. She told me she had competed in a "masters" swim meet last weekend and set a new record in the 1,500 meter free style.

Stay active every day and there is no age limit -- other than those imposed by genes and illness.

Humans can't live forever. But most of us can remain active for many years longer than those who vegetate with inactivity.

Weary

Images

[quote=weary;351187]

I don't think the cut off age has been established yet. I doubt if it ever will be.

==================================

...but how about the "low end" cutoff, in terms of being considered an "Old Hiker" ??

'Slogger

[QUOTE=Footslogger;351189...but how about the "low end" cutoff, in terms of being considered an "Old Hiker" ??

'Slogger[/QUOTE]

how about qualified to join AARP?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++