WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dog bite

Default Dog bite

I was hiking on the Conecticut AT Monday on my 4 day trip and was planning to stay at the Stewart Hollow lean-to for the night. On the blue-blaze trail to the lean-to two dogs ran up to me barking. One black long hair and a short hair white and brown. I never had problems with dogs before and was not worried. As I got to the lean-to I saw two men in the lean-to. At the same time one of the dogs bite me on my left calf. The owner wasn't too concerned that I was bleeding. I also got a bad vibe about the two guys (not backpackers) so I left. Not sure about the dog rabies shots I ended up at the hospital that night and now have to get the whole series of shots. The CT State Police know and Animal control. Be careful if you are near that lean-to. Look-out for a black long hair dog. Not sure what breed it is.

Images

Thanks for the warning. Is anyone from the animal control going out there that you know of?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

This needs more publicity than just here. Hell of a way to end a day, not to mention $1500 for the shot series. (Still that pricey?)

Hope you mend well.

Images

Good reason to have a gun handy.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

The local animal control went out that night but did not find anyone. The State police know about it also. I have to thank the fire department of the town of Kent. I called my wife who has a medical background to find out if I should get off the trail that night. She called the local hospital and they told her that I should. I started walking south and met up with the fire rescue truck. I was going to hike back to town but the fire department came out in force! Boy did I feel foolish! I only had two punture wounds. I got a ride to New Milford hospital that night. And yes, the shots are a lot of money! I am more upset at the owner and his lack of concern about his dog bitting me. Something told me not to make an issue with him (I was by myself). So now my wife does not want me to again by myself (I told you so).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Good reason to have a gun handy.
    Better reason to have a camera.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Ouch Hawkeye, hope you are feeling better. That's a drag that it happened to you. I hope your hiking goes smoother from here on out!
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Hawkeye,Let me know if you need a hiking partner if you want to hike in CT,I carry mace with me but it is tough to know when a dog is ready to bite - Shame on the owners of the dogs.

Default dog bite

If the dog seems mean and gets within three feet of you,time to react with what you carry

Default dogs

dogs on the trail are suppose to be on a leash

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Awww..I`m sorry to hear about your bite and shots..I hate mean dogs..I`ve been bitten like 3 times by peoples dogs who "don`t bite"...Now that I take blood thinners I`m even more wary..Weary?..Whatevery
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Isn't it interesting that mean dogs are generally owned by mean people? One of my major annoyances from hiking in the south (way back when) were dogs -- sometimes feral, sometimes "pets" that clearly wanted a piece of my hide at a few trailheads. I remember fending off a whole pack of mean nasty mutts at the trailhead in Pearisburg. Yikes.

Images

WOW that guy is lucky. I LOVE dogs but, if some owner was watching their dog attack me...Id crack my hiking pole over the dogs skull until he retreated. ANd THEN cuss the guy out and demand his information. If he refused Id threaten to crack him in the head with my poles. Now I am sure this isnt healthy behavior but, after all the health issues I have had...1500 in shots and possibly an injured ANYTHING to ANY extent would make me feel justified. That and I could blame it on "not taking my meds" Unlike the dog...I am not under threat of being put to sleep.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    ... I`m even more wary..Weary?..Whatevery
    Many of us ladies are wary and weary because of dogs

Hawkeye, glad you were not severely injured. You were wise to follow your gut in regard to the owner.

Stumbling along a path to a trail I'll never find

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Isn't it interesting that mean dogs are generally owned by mean people? One of my major annoyances from hiking in the south (way back when) were dogs -- sometimes feral, sometimes "pets" that clearly wanted a piece of my hide at a few trailheads. I remember fending off a whole pack of mean nasty mutts at the trailhead in Pearisburg. Yikes.
    I was thinking about using pepper spray for protection. Dog repellent is weak (less than 1%) because they haven't the tear ducts to carry it away. But after one has sprayed an attacking dog there is still the owner, possibly aggressive, to deal with in which case the full powered stuff (10% & up) may be needed. Of course the owner wouldn't know that you used a weak solution to fend off his dog and perhaps just the threat of being sprayed would be enough to make him/her think twice.
    I'd guess the two would weigh 8 or 9 oz.

Kiyu
    "Experience - that thing you only get immediately after you needed it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    ....I carry mace with me but it is tough to know when a dog is ready to bite - Shame on the owners of the dogs.
    I agree, For years, I worked in an industry where I had to go to residential areas to do work and met up with a multitude of dogs and have bene bitten several times. Most dogs are friendly and wary - What I did find though, over the years is that dogs that came up to you and barked typically would not bite, and usually stopped short of coming right to you, as they were wary. This is not hard science, but my anecdotal thoughts.
    Dogs that did not bark were usually the ones to run up and bite or try to bite. You sometimes get nervous dogs that might bite out of fear, but the mean ones just come at you with no sound warning. These were usually the ones around farms, and homes way out in the boonies.

I still recommend shooting anything that bites you.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I just learned to pick up a big, stout stick on the trail before it crossed any rural road where I could hear dogs barking. But sometimes I'd be swinging that stick for a long time before the mutts gave up.

Basic general psycology could of helped you out more than any weapon.Im sure the animal was startled before it acted defencively protecting its owner.The owner is responsible not the dog.That dog probably wonders if you had your shots.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Hawkeye,Let me know if you need a hiking partner if you want to hike in CT,I carry mace with me but it is tough to know when a dog is ready to bite - Shame on the owners of the dogs.
    Good intentions BUT let me relate a story from my days as a local small town cop. Clyde Clough, a local dairy farmer called me. While his wife and he were out a Doberman with a mouth and face full of porkupine quills had forced open his door and gotten into his shed. The doberman had no tag and bared his teeth when anyone came into the room. I called the game warden and the State Animal Control office and headed for Clydes house. When I got there I took out my mace, pointed it at the dogs eyes, walked up to the growling dog and put a leash on him and walked him outside. About a half hour later the game warden and a State Vet showed up. They told me what I did while brave was stupid. That is when I found out because their eyes are totally different than humans mace has NO effect on dogs. There are sprays to control dogs but mace is totally ineffective and will only further agrivate a dog. ( I guess I should have had my revolver out instead)
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

I probaly would have used one of my poles and knocked the crap out of the dog. Handle end first so as to not cut the dog up but then if I had to, stab it with the sharp end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++