WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Red face new-b's on the AT need suggestions

we're friends who are planning on hiking from mahoosuc range to the bigelow range at some point this summer. we just have some general questions.

When would be the best time to hike it?
    would it be wise to bring our dogs along on this stretch?
    If we drive to the beginning of the trail, how do we get back to our car?

ANY suggestion would help us out
    THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by maxmeg View Post
    we're friends who are planning on hiking from mahoosuc range to the bigelow range at some point this summer. we just have some general questions.

would it be wise to bring our dogs along on this stretch?
    If we drive to the beginning of the trail, how do we get back to our car?

ANY suggestion would help us out
    THANKS
    Anytime after the middle of June and before late October will give you the best conditions IMO. Dogs are up to you, they WILL get a workout.
    You will get back to your car by hiring a shuttle service in the Bigelow area or hitchiking back to where you started.
    WALK ON

Thumbs up Great section hike

Hiker's Paradice in Gorham, NH used to offer shuttle services to Bigelow but a call to them or The Cabin at Andover can get you a shuttle. I have never had a problem leaving a car at the Little Bigelow AT trailhead but the camping area near Round Barn on Flagstaff Lake might be safer. I would drive to Bigelow, arrange to have a shuttle take me back to Gorham and then hike to your car. I have made the hike several times and it is a beautiful hike. The parking area at the Saddlback AT trailhead had a problem a few years back with thiefs that simply broke out windows and cleaned out the cars. Bigelow Preserve has never had a problem with car break ins. I would not start this section before mid July because of high water, black flies and mud but right up until early October it is a wonderful hike. That section has good water sources, fantastic views, and alot of rocks roots and some haand over hand. You will hike in some beautiful alpine zones and one of the most beautiful is if you take a day to takke a short blue blaze near Spaulding and spend some time on Mt. Abrum which has an Alpine Zone that rivals Katahdin. The section you hike is one of the nicest on the AT-enjoy your hike.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Quote Originally Posted by maxmeg View Post
    I would suggest doing it while you're young.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I would suggest doing it while you're young.
    Bada bam CRASH!

Default If you're new to LD hiking, bring dogs, and try that stretch...

Please make a video of your hike. I'd pay money to watch it...

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Please make a video of your hike. I'd pay money to watch it...
    I'd pay money to watch a video of your sniveling hike through said territory MS
    WALK ON

oooo rough crowd! but, hey, if you're willing to pay some money, i'll make the video. we're in college so we're not above anyway to make a few bucks!!

Sauntering vaugely southward ozt42's Avatar

late august to early october will give you the best weather, views and no bugs, if you don't mind a few cold nights later on. It is a rugged patch for your first extended hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ozt42 View Post
    late august to early october will give you the best weather, views and no bugs, if you don't mind a few cold nights later on. It is a rugged patch for your first extended hike.
    Yes I would have to agree with ozt42. This is my favorite time of year to hike. The bugs are just starting to go away and there weather is cooler.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Completely agree with ozt. Late summer to early fall is peak hiking season for me.

Images

August is overrun.

September is school.

Watch for high pressure.

Lots closer in NH.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

On the question of dogs - Mahoosuc Notch could be very difficult for a dog, but it can be done. There are also lengthy ladders in scattered places like Goose Eye, coming out of Andover (forgot the name of the notch) and Saddleback. So your dog has to be very agile.
    Aaron

Volumes have been said here on WB about the wisdom of bringing a dog on the trail. Let's suffice it to say that you need to be consider two things: 1) the welfare of the dog; and 2) the welfare of your fellow hikers. Perhaps you have already thought of all this stuff, but I will summarize some things to consider just in case.

Your dog may or may not do well on the trail. The trail is not exactly a walk in the park. Do you want to take a chance of endangering the health or well-being of your dog? Are you prepared to deal with feeding and caring for your dog or, heaven forbid, dealing with dog injuries on the trail? How well trained is your dog to stay close to you rather than chase every varmint he/she smells or hears? There are many considerations you need to think about regarding the welfare of the dog.

Then there is your fellow hiker to consider. Many do not appreciate a dog coming up to them. Is your dog extremely well trained that it will stay away from strangers? Will your dog run from the rain into a shelter full of tired hikers and shake his wet body over all the hikers and their gear? Will your dog stay out of other hikers stuff? Will you leash your dog around strangers if need be? Again, lots of considerations here regarding the behavior of your dog around other hikers.

There have been many discussions on WB about dogs and I am not trying to turn this into another inflamatory thread about dogs. Since you are new here, I thought I might point out a few issues that have been raised in the past. As a dog lover myself, I can sympathize with the desire to bring a dog, but please think it over carefully before you do so.

Welcome to WB!

++ New Posts ++