WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Knee pain?

Images

Default Knee pain?

Well i know alot of you guys/gals may also be runners as well as hikers so ive got a question for you all. I never had any problem with knee pain before, i could run for miles with no discomfort. Then when winter hit i started running inside on a track and after a few days i got really bad pain in my knee (left knee). I immediately stopped running obviously. Took it easy for the next few days. Any going up/down stairs, or jumping would be really uncomfortable. But normal walking was fine. Gave it a few weeks, everything felt good. Ran outside again, the pain came back after maybe 3 miles. I was pretty mad at this point. So now its been a few weeks since ive tried running again and im afriad to try it. From everything i have read online it seems to be tendinitus. Any suggestions or input would be great. Do those knee straps/support braces really help? Keep in mind in only 19, i really hope this isnt gonna hinder my ThruHike in the coming years. Also, just as a side note, knee problems do run in my family.

Images

Yup sounds like tendonitus to me. But I'm not a doctor. First thing I would recommend is consult your doctor to rule out any thing else and get a proper diagnosis. I have bad knees myself. What I have found that helps me is to use Cho-pat knee braces. Also do proper stretching exercises prior to any exertion. Here is a good resourceThru-Hikers Medical Guide.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

I'd go to a doctor, let the pros do diagnosis. But here's my nickle's worth.
    It's possible it's patellofemoral pain syndrome. Fancy name for kneecap pain. I had it years ago when I switched from trail running to a track. Couldn't walk down stairs for days or sit with my knee bent. Then I went out and did it again two weeks later. Rest and cutting back on my running on tracks fixed it.

Thanks for all the fine people that I have met

I AM NOT MEDICALLY TRAINED. If a type of exercise hurts your knee, it is a warning that damage will occur. Many thru hikers take "vitiman I" (ibuprophren), which is ignoreing the warning signs of injury. Concerning your particular case you said that the pain occured when you changed to an indoor track. Does the pain continue when you exercise on the previous outside surface? You mentioned one knee, generally running in one direction in a circular route will cause uneven use of your legs. The running suffurce may hold your foot in place while you pivot during a turn, causing strain in your knee. do other people use the same type of footware inside as you do? Hope You figure things out, evaluate everything that has changed since the pain started, it will help if you consult a Doctor. I tried to respond to what you wrote hope it helped. Sometimes you may know the answer yourself. I AM NOT MEDICALLY TRAINED.

I had hurt knees twice in over 35 years of running. Once I got in a half marathon when I had done very little running in 2 months before the race.
    The doctor said The knee hadn't gotten enough lubrication - because I hadn't been running. He also said he would tell me to stop running until all pain was gone but he knew I would not do that. So he said to quit when it hurt.
    The other time I had switched to a totally different kind of shoe. When I went back to the old ones the pain soon went away.

See your doctor for real help. We are all different. He will need to know the whole situation.

Slosteppin

Could be the wrong shoes also. Don't under estimate the problems a wrong shoe can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    I had hurt knees twice in over 35 years of running. Once I got in a half marathon when I had done very little running in 2 months before the race.
    The doctor said The knee hadn't gotten enough lubrication - because I hadn't been running. He also said he would tell me to stop running until all pain was gone but he knew I would not do that. So he said to quit when it hurt.
    The other time I had switched to a totally different kind of shoe. When I went back to the old ones the pain soon went away.

See your doctor for real help. We are all different. He will need to know the whole situation.

Slosteppin
    The doctor tells you to stop running when it starts hurting. How much did he charge for that advice? LOL

i agree with ivleph. i've been a runner for the last 30+ years and when ever i begin to have knee problems i know its time to change shoes, and take some time off for my knee to get back to normal.

i also agree with some of the other posters that a trip to the doctor may be a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well i know alot of you guys/gals may also be runners as well as hikers so ive got a question for you all. I never had any problem with knee pain before, i could run for miles with no discomfort. Then when winter hit i started running inside on a track and after a few days i got really bad pain in my knee (left knee). I immediately stopped running obviously. Took it easy for the next few days. Any going up/down stairs, or jumping would be really uncomfortable. But normal walking was fine. Gave it a few weeks, everything felt good. Ran outside again, the pain came back after maybe 3 miles. I was pretty mad at this point. So now its been a few weeks since ive tried running again and im afriad to try it. From everything i have read online it seems to be tendinitus. Any suggestions or input would be great. Do those knee straps/support braces really help? Keep in mind in only 19, i really hope this isnt gonna hinder my ThruHike in the coming years. Also, just as a side note, knee problems do run in my family.
    Tea, I self-diagnosed the same thing a few weeks ago as tendinitus. I decided to try the knee brace thing and if that didnt help I would then go to a doctor. The brace made a world of difference. My pain was on the outside of my knee.

I was having knee trouble in Hot Springs. Bought new shoes, and my feet and knees have thanked me for it.

Shoes. ITBS(iliotibial band syndrome). Feels like an icepick in your knee. New shoes and a good doc. Good luck! 30,000 miles and counting!

Images

Thanks for all the replies guys! The shoes actually arent too old, and ive never had trouble on them before. I think ill give the brace a try and see how it helps. Ive been off the knee (not running, i still walk/bike, etc) and it feels fine. So i think ill pick up one of the braces and try a short run to see how it works out.

++ New Posts ++