WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Barn (Gorham)

I found this to be a good place. People there are helpful and respectful. I was glad I stopped in for a night.

10 $ for the bed, 4$ for shower, 1.50$ each to wash or dry clothes (i.e. 3$ for both). Bikes available for errands, free shuttle to nearby trail heads and for nearby errands.

Default Libby House Inn - The Barn Sold

The Libby House Inn which also contains "The Barn" was recently sold. No information on the new owners or if they will continue the tradition of hosting thruhikers

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing
    I found this to be a good place. People there are helpful and respectful. I was glad I stopped in for a night.

10 $ for the bed, 4$ for shower, 1.50$ each to wash or dry clothes (i.e. 3$ for both). Bikes available for errands, free shuttle to nearby trail heads and for nearby errands.

Peakbagger---If this is true, then it happened in the last 4 weeks. Please post details if you've got them.

Journal Entries
    Images

I know its been up for sale for some time. A heck of a property for $300K. If only it had a few more rooms to offer...... If only I had a few more dollars to spare. So close, yet so far.

The Colonial Comfort Inn (Hikers Paradise) has been/was/is up for sale for some time too.

Default The Barn (Gorham)

If Paul and Maggie have indeed sold the Libby House I hope that the new owners will keep the Barn running. Yogi and I didn't stay at The Barn in '98,we stayed with some family friends that lived nearby. We ended up living at The Barn during the summer of '99 doing shuttles for our stay. Paul,Maggie and Scavenger are some of the best folks that you will ever met. If the new owners continue to operate The Barn they will have some very big shoes to fill.

PS I still have my Barn shirt. As it is a bit holey I've retired it except for Trail Daze.

BooBoo

Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo
    If Paul and Maggie have indeed sold the Libby House I hope that the new owners will keep the Barn running.
    Hi BooBoo

Yup, the Barn was sold. It was posted about on the at-l a few weeks ago, a hiker named Doc bought it, will keep it running in just about the same manner, although Scavenger wasn't kept on.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

According to "Dirty Bird", The Barn in Gorham IS open for hikers. He was there recently. Guy named Doc owns it. This was on Trail Journals.

Default Gorham News

Some very good news: I spoke today with the new owner of the Barn, Dr. Regan.

The Barn WILL be open (and already is) as a hiker hostel this year, and apparently, very little has changed. A bunk and shower will be $14.00.

Rooms are also available in the main house, the Libby House B&B.

Dr. Regan sounded very enthusiastic about the upcoming hiker season and said he's really looking forward to meeting this year's hikers.

This is great news, as the Barn was, for many years, one of the best hiker facilitiies on the whole Trail and was absolutely the best place to stay in Gorham. Anyone needing more information regarding services, prices, etc. can call 603-466-2271

Default Gorham accomodations

I've heard good and bad about the two main hostels in Gorham--Hiker's Paradise is the popular spot, but the owners have gotten some flack for occasionally being unfriendly. The Barn's new owner is a professional, strict with his rules and a bit inflexible--he does offer shuttles, to be paid up front...There are a couple alternatives in "Alpine lodge" or something to that effect, which runs a little more dough with more privacy and a lot of 38 buck motels which would make a lot of sense split two or three ways.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    ... occasionally being unfriendly. .
    I just spoke with a gentleman over at the Hiker Paradise. All I did was ask if they took maildrops. He really bit my head off. NO NO NO!!! -- Then again who knows what kind of day he has had. I'm not always so chipper myself!

So do not send them there. Unfortunately I used an old thru-hiker handbook and sent one there (which I didn't mention when I spoke to the guy, mainly because he did not give me a chance.)

Use CURRENT data when planning maildrops. Also call for confirmation even if the book says they do in case there has been a policy change. No sense spending good money after bad.

Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I just spoke with Doc over at the Barn. Just checking in advance to see if there was any need for a reservation. The hostel is a first come first serve, as most are.

He says he hasn't had any problems yet with not having enough space. -- He was very friendly and nice to chat with. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Just got done with doing a section, Hanover to Pinkham Notch. Stayed two nights at the Barn. I had heard a lot of negative things about Doc and the Barn from some SoBos. Turns out that is wrong. I had a lovely and positive experience with Doc and the Barn. Still a great place to stay. Yes there are rules and you should follow them. If you're not immature and planning on hitting Gohram the Barn is a fine place to stay.

Images

I stayed at Hiker's Paradise in '97. The owner is foreign and if you listen closely to his impatient sounding responses, you may pick up the family guy, kindness and genuine interest in hikers that is more evident when you meet him in person. This is just an IMHO post and not meant to sidetract from the Barn which I know nothing about. : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

While driving by The Barn in Gorham over the last few weeks I noticed that there is a closed sign on the barn and the usually AT hostel signs were not evident. This is rare as its usually open by now. I will check it when I am back in town next week.

The best thing hikers can do these days in Gorham is find a friend and share a motel room.

And this has been true for several years at least.

From personal experience, I'd recommend the "Royalty Inn" in Gorham -- it has a huge, beautiful indoor pool and hot tub on the premises and is reasonably priced. It's a stone's throw from where Rtes. 16 and 2 intersect, on the east end of the main strip. (Link to room rates.)

I have found Hiker's Paradise to be an adequate and fun if you can apreciate Bruno kind of place. I'm glad to hear Doc is no longer associated with the barn. Harsh dude. My experience. Stayed there for about eleven minutes in '06. Left when he started talking. Bad energy. My experience. Didn't have another experience like that either year.

Default I stayed at Hiker's Paradise in fall 2006...

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    I stayed at Hiker's Paradise in '97. The owner is foreign and if you listen closely to his impatient sounding responses, you may pick up the family guy, kindness and genuine interest in hikers that is more evident when you meet him in person. This is just an IMHO post and not meant to sidetract from the Barn which I know nothing about. : )

Happy hiking!

TTF
    And it was fine IMO. The owners are simply consistent, expecting that guests will follow the rules and do what they say they will. Do those, and they're fine. Good Germanic people, salt-of-the-earth types, IMO.

As of toay 6/20, the Barn appears open again. The closed sign is gone and the the AT hostel sign is out. Must have been closed for bug season!

Um, note to Smitty:

The proprietor of Hiker's Paradise is Bruno Janicki, who, unless I'm very much mistaken, is of Polish heritage.

I know you're into the Nordic Aryan thing, Smitty, but referring to a proud son of Poland as being one of the "good German people" is not a remark that will win you many friends in certain places.

I know you meant well with your post, Smitty, but believe it or not, not everyone feels that being called a good German person is necessarily a compliment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++