WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Safe Parking at Waynesboro or Front Royal

Hello all

First post, hope I'm on the right forum. We're coming over to the States for a month starting end May, visiting New York then renting a car and driving down to Washington and then the Shenandoah National Park to section hike the AT there. We've given ourselves a week to do the hike, and I need to leave the hire car somewhere reasonably safe -the hassle of a broken car and lost gear I can do without. We'll be taking a shuttle back to the start of the hike once we've left the car. So the question is, does anyone know of a safe parking location at either end of the SNP, even if it involves paying a parking fee?

iseremarc,

I have a similar trip planned. We were going to leave the car in SNP on skyline drive at the north end and then pick hike down until the AT hooks up with the drive about 10 miles down. There is a blue blaze trail that parralles the drive and intersects with the AT just after the AT enters the park on the north side.

Could you post info on the shuttle you are using. Thanks

Images

I don't know about parking on the north end, but on the south end of the SNP there's a little parking area along the AT just north of the bridge. If you're driving out from Waynesboro and turn north as if you're going to drive up Skyline Drive, the parking lot will be on your right. It only holds a few cars, and is south of the Skyline Drive toll booth. I left a car there for several days over Easter while I hiked. There is a lot of ranger activity in the area--and no broken glass on the ground--so I assume it's safe.

There's a much bigger paved area before you turn onto the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway road. There are a bunch of derelict buildings there, with a lot of unused parking. I've heard other people recommend parking there.

I really wouldn't worry about parking a car anywhere in that area that's legal to park. It is not a high-crime area, and your car is unlikely to be vandalized.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Place to park

Hi, 2 years ago I hiked Shenandoah Park SOBO. I left my car at the 4-H Center on VA602. They allow parking for AT hikers. Just leave a note on your dash telling them who you are and when you will be back. They have a trail that connects to the AT just before the Tom Floyd shelter.
    Grampie-N->2001

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Where Marta mentions the derelict buildings, there was a hotel up top on the hill still open a year ago. They allow free parking, kept my Jeep there for over two weeks last summer, no problems.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Default Front Royal

I agree with Grampie the 4-h center in Front Royal is a good place to leave your car. Check in the office first .

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I don't know about parking on the north end, but on the south end of the SNP there's a little parking area along the AT just north of the bridge. If you're driving out from Waynesboro and turn north as if you're going to drive up Skyline Drive, the parking lot will be on your right. It only holds a few cars, and is south of the Skyline Drive toll booth. I left a car there for several days over Easter while I hiked. There is a lot of ranger activity in the area--and no broken glass on the ground--so I assume it's safe.

There's a much bigger paved area before you turn onto the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway road. There are a bunch of derelict buildings there, with a lot of unused parking. I've heard other people recommend parking there.

I really wouldn't worry about parking a car anywhere in that area that's legal to park. It is not a high-crime area, and your car is unlikely to be vandalized.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    u can use the paved parking area (same as above) in front of the Rockfish Gap Visitors Center or behind/beside it in the gravel parking area...

Talk to the persons in the Visitors center, open 9 to 5 daily including weekends, and they can help u...

extract from AT Companion below:
    U.S.250,I-64/Rock-fish Gap —Where the it is west 200 yards to a small
    clustering of buildings (many of them vacant)at Rockfish Gap. Rockfish Gap Visitors Center,(540)943-5187, is open daily 9 –5 and offers an area information packet created specifically for hikers that lists all services and a list of Trail angels who provide free shuttles to town. If closed,packets are in box near door.

U might want to call the Visitor center to confirm the above...
    NOTE: the complete online version of the AT Companion for Virginia can be found here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Also u might consider, Terrapin Station Hostel owned by Mike Evans (at the north end of the SNP), see phone number in the online AT Companion... The owner maybe be able to shuttle or suggest someone who can shuttle u to Rockfish Gap...

Enjoy...

We want u to enjoy your visit to the USA so pls ask questions, no guarantees, just allot of ???????? which hopefully will help ya.

Well, looks like I've got a few options for parking up, at either end. Thanks for all your ideas. Thanks also for the www.aldha.org link.

Wallace, I haven't sorted out a shuttle yet; when I do I'll let you know.

My wife worked at NOVA 4H for several years.

They are happy to let people park there. But please check in at the office first. They have a guy onsite to keep an eye out on your car and they lock the gates at night. They will give you a good parking spot near the trail but just want to know who is coming and going since they have summer camp kids around and other kids around during the year.

Here is a link:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/n...contactus.html

twocents

Last year on my thru attempt my Mother and Step Father came and hiked with me a few days. We went south bound for 30 some miles north towards Front Royal.

I had a talk with the Weasel Creek Outfitter owner and he agreed to shuttle us to the trail and allowed my parents to park their car in his lot out behind the outfitters while we were gone. He is a really nice man and his shop is family owned, a chat with him may be worth your time. I'm sure the companion has his numbers but they are eluding me at the moment.

I parked my car the 4-H center as well about a month ago and they had me fill out a liability release form prior to parking the car. You can park your car in a spot where you have about a 0.3 mile walk along a blue blazed trail to reach the AT.

Well, here we are back in France, and our little hike on the AT is over. We decided on the 4H parking option, and it worked a treat - the lady at the reception desk was obviously very used to hikers, immediately handed me the necessary paperwork to sign, and indicated the exact spot to leave the car ( opposite the swimming pool ). The guy who shuttled us down to Rockfish Gap knew exactly where to find us as soon as I mentioned the 4H, and, best of all, the car was waiting there, untouched, at the end of our hike. I was slightly concerned that the gate might be closed over the weekend, thus trapping us in the 4H compound, but that wasn't the case, perhaps it's opened up early morning ( we arrived back at the car about 10 am Saturday ). The office was closed though, although it didn't matter to us ( I just went up there to check out and say thanks ).

So I can recommend this parking option. And, thanks again to everyone who responded to my original question. We had a great time...

++ New Posts ++