WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    It gives some great info for when we finish up the BMT by doing the smokies in a couple of weeks.
    Here's a spot I forgot to mention if you are North bound in the Smokies.

When you are approaching the Tunnel, you will come to an unmarked fork in the trail (this is past Gold Mine Loop and the Tunnel Bypass trails). Take the left fork up. If you look up this fork you will see some wooden barriers or what might look like a parking lot or something not too far away (or that's what it looked like to me). Actually this is the end of the old Lake Shore Drive and leads quickly to the Tunnel.

The right fork goes down and is tempting, because you are traveling downward to Lake Shore Dr and Noland Creek Trail. But take the left fork even though it looks like it might go back up.

Hutch, Rabbit and I will all be at Trail Daze. Look us up.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

A great trip report!! I saw that old stone house at Tate Gap when I breezed thru and stopped for water at the little spring nearby but I never thought about camping there. I know the section from Sandy Gap to Sled Runner Gap had to be overgrown and thorny, I've camped several nights along this section both at Moss Gap and close to Rocky Top in a gap near the headwaters of Brookshire Creek.

The Sugar Mountain area does have a long pull up from Brookshire along the Upper Bald River watershed. I've spent many nights at different campsites atop Sugar Mountain, there's one past the top going north that has a nice little spring next to it.

You didn't mention it but how was the climb up from Tellico River along Sycamore Creek to Whiggs Meadow? It's a long uphill, the final gravel road part is mean but usually at the top I would set up the tent in the open meadow of the Whigg. I also camped once right near Beech Gap on a little rise by the trail but I didn't find water until past Cold Spring Gap.

The long pretty slog along the Fodderstack ridge has many tentsites and then comes the descent at Farr Gap to Slickrock Creek along the old Stiffknee trail. On my last winter trip I had to cross a seriously deep and rushing Slickrock Creek to get to the Ike Branch turnoff and after four attempts I finally made it but it was cold and scary. I felt like Jeremiah Johnson as millions of snowflakes surrounded me and my dog as we tried to find a decent crossing.

I'm glad you got to do the trip and maybe one day we'll see each other out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Krewzer View Post
    Here's a spot I forgot to mention if you are North bound in the Smokies.

When you are approaching the Tunnel, you will come to an unmarked fork in the trail (this is past Gold Mine Loop and the Tunnel Bypass trails). Take the left fork up. If you look up this fork you will see some wooden barriers or what might look like a parking lot or something not too far away (or that's what it looked like to me). Actually this is the end of the old Lake Shore Drive and leads quickly to the Tunnel.

The right fork goes down and is tempting, because you are traveling downward to Lake Shore Dr and Noland Creek Trail. But take the left fork even though it looks like it might go back up.

Hutch, Rabbit and I will all be at Trail Daze. Look us up.
    Thanks, I'll look for you. If you see a redheaded chic manning the Florida Trails Booth, stop and tell her about your trip. Rumor has it that she's doing the BMT/Smokey's with us too.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

You didn't mention it but how was the climb up from Tellico River along Sycamore Creek to Whiggs Meadow? It's a long uphill, the final gravel road part is mean but usually at the top I would set up the tent in the open meadow of the Whigg. .
    It wasn't bad at all, even with that road walk up. This section seems to follow an old rail road bed (lots of cuts through banks and a telltale piece of rail) up a good long way. The grade seemed moderate to me. We got back on the trail at the Tellico River around 10 that morning and reached the skyway around 5 that afternoon.

Whigg meadow was the best view on the entire hike. I'd been there before many years ago and hoped it was still beauiful. It was. We hung out a bit to take pics and eat a coupe of snickers then moved on.

Farr Gap and Stiffknee....this reminds me, another tricky little spot is coming down Stiffknee out of Farr Gap. About a 1/2 to 3/4 mile (appx.) from the gap you come to an unmarked fork in the trail. One goes down to the right, the other goes pretty much straight ahead and slightly up. Take the right fork down. According to the map, I think the other fork goes to Stiffknee Top.
    If you hike down this trail from Farr Gap you will understand the name. It's knee bustin' steep.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Krewzer View Post
    Farr Gap and Stiffknee....this reminds me, another tricky little spot is coming down Stiffknee out of Farr Gap. About a 1/2 to 3/4 mile (appx.) from the gap you come to an unmarked fork in the trail. One goes down to the right, the other goes pretty much straight ahead and slightly up. Take the right fork down. According to the map, I think the other fork goes to Stiffknee Top.
    If you hike down this trail from Farr Gap you will understand the name. It's knee bustin' steep.
    From the steep descent above this point to the bottom of the right turn is the only real "Stiff knee" to Stiffknee. This little section is slated to get some serious retread, waterbars and a small reroute...course some brush masking the hunter trail at the fork you speak of is now in order.
    Last edited by Ramble~On; 04-28-2007 at 04:28. Reason: speleng wernt write

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Awesome and thanks!

Thanks for such a detailed and exciting trip report. I'm hoping others read this and possibly use it as an AT alternative to Davenport Gap. It would be real nice for whoever does this trail to someday GPS it...would be nice in the sections that are devoid or confusing or blazes/markings. Congratulations on your thru-hike of the BMT!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Well I could take a GPS with me in Febuary (after I retire) and do some plotting and such.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

What an awesome report! One more trail to add to my list.

Images

A while back when I first intersected the Benton MacKaye Trail it intrigued me. I walked up it's path for a little while, but quickly went back onto the AT because I was unfamiliar with it. I know that the beginning of this trail was part of the original AT.

I really enjoyed your trip report.

The Appalachian Trail Museum will have on display the original measuring wheel that Benton MacKaye used on the Appalachian Trail. Isn't that something?

See you at Trail Days ! (and Hutch too!)

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    A while back when I first intersected the Benton MacKaye Trail it intrigued me. I walked up it's path for a little while, but quickly went back onto the AT because I was unfamiliar with it. I know that the beginning of this trail was part of the original AT.
    Maybe. The Georgia portion of the BMT was established to become the new route for the AT when the Blue Ridge Parkway was planned to extend south into GA, wiping out the existing Trail and not doing much good for the GSMNP route either. That was back in the '60's, maybe? My copy of "Friendships of the Trail", the history of the GATC, is at home.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I mentioned the manager of the Sleep Inn arranged a ride back to the trail for us with a very interesting fellow hiker from the Hiwassee River/Etowah area. I didn't mention his name or contact info because I was waiting to hear if he wanted to be listed as a shuttle resource in the area. He is very familar with local trails, local history, fishing and river touring and a really great guy. It was only a 15 or 20 minute ride back to Reliance, but Hutch and I got the grand tour with loads of history about the early Tennessee and the Cherokee.

Rock, this is the go-to guy when you put together a thru-hikers guide book for info on this area.

He is Chris Grater: [email protected]

Here's a copy of his response (copy sent to BMT Assc)

Hey Bob, my cell# is 865-207-8994 and the Tennessee Overhill Sleep Inn is 423-263-4343; their email is www.tennesseeoverhillsleepinn.com and this here is mine. We'll shuttle hikers about anywhere, do Eco-Tours when water levels permit, fly fishing guide, guided tours of little-known remote areas, and about anything to enjoy the outdoors. List me anywhere. Keep me posted-thanks from Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++