WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default oprah may thruhike !

would a thruhike by a super icon like willy nelson or even michel jackson have a negitive effect on that years hiking class's exsperience? would it be unfair or unsafe for a famouse person who say, needs security with them normaly, to hike? if so , is the trail in essence closed to such men and women of the hugely sucsesful? and if not, can it be done and enjoyed? how?
    matthewski

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them. I think that with such easy access to the trail every local news agency would be hounding them and us plebeians as well.

Just think trailside American Eagle and an O' bookshop yeah!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

While it would focus a lot of media attention on the trail, it would likely ruin both the experience of the celeb doing the hike and the experience of any hiker who was anywhere near them. I don't want to round a corner on the trail and come face to face with a news crew wanting to know if I shared a shelter with Oprah last night.

If a celebrity wanted to thru-hike, they would likely prefer to do it anonymously. Any thru-hiker wearing sunglasses even at night, and accompanied by bodyguards, should be suspected of being a celebrity.

I've heard rumours that some celebs have hiked incognito. Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society) has the song...

I paved this road
    I broke myself in two
    This I know
    Up and down, In between
    There's nothing I haven't seen

All these stars which bear my name, yeah
    My eyes are wide, ain't nothing's the same, yeah
    I tried to run, but the damage is done, yeah
    The damage is done
    The damage is done

Where I've gone and where I've been
    One only knows
    One more mountain, one more mile
    Two thousand told

(official lyrics say "Do as I'm told"...but I swear sometimes he says "two thousand told"...like he's giving a clue...of course, I always thought Jerry had a hard on running from Bertha's window...and Eric Clapton told you about our our kid, no he's not a tomato...)

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    If a celebrity wanted to thru-hike, they would likely prefer to do it anonymously. Any thru-hiker wearing sunglasses even at night, and accompanied by bodyguards, should be suspected of being a celebrity.
    His personal secretary reported that the late Pope John Paul II made over 100 trips to the Italian Alps for hiking and skiing while he was Pope, and was rarely recognized. He went with a group of other people in a borrowed car, and no one was the wiser.

I remember another story about a supermodel going into a department store without any makeup and being told by a clerk that "you know, with a little make-up, you could be really cute."

Where there is a will, there is a way....and the person we think we know from TV and tabloids might well be unrecognizable in person. ("Well, actually, you would not believe how often people tell me I look just like Oprah Winfrey. It is amazing. If her banker tells me that, I'll be in business, let me tell you.") I think that if Oprah could go that long without referring to another woman as "girl", she might just pull it off.

As for the sunglasses day and night, I'd be more likely to suspect a drug habit than celebrity.

wrong thread again.
    ad astra per aspera

i think if oprah hiked, other hikers would form a zone around her of about 3 days hike that no one would enter. ocaisonaly her party and the resulting mess it would bring would be crossd at towns or inconvenience the other hikers somehow but not too too much. it might even be fun to take a zero and watch the circus once in a while. oh,... and the yogying possibilitys are endless what with helos carting shrimp scampi to the guards. think of the cool feeling mom and dad back home would have seeing their son or daughter interviewed from clingmans dome on the 6 oclock news . or the oppertunity for the trail to get more volenteers due to the fact that she would have a rap up show after katadhin in witch her entire hiking class would be on tv. admit it, she would be a thruhiker and would be welcome in the class. and would make lifetime friends as we all do. it might be a good.im taking suggestions for equiptment she would need. i think we can all agree , oprah needs to pack a wig and makeup to hide her identity at least some of the time. and she will need a lookalike to send ahead and clear a path. other than that , im thinking full kit of light gear. say,... 22 lbs. later she can carry more food and weight. after say, damascus. where she'll have a chat and a beer with lonewolf and then push on. this can be done easyer than you might think. and the charity she could raise would be sweet. im waiting for a call from the show now.
    matthewski

Oprah would have a rough time thru hiking because she is going to be the next president of the USA. There will be too many secret service agents running around trying to keep her safe. It will be rough trying to land USA 1 on or near the trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Oprah would have a rough time thru hiking because she is going to be the next president of the USA. There will be too many secret service agents running around trying to keep her safe. It will be rough trying to land USA 1 on or near the trail.
    Let's hope she hikes during her first term, allowing a vice president to govern. Most any VP strikes me as likely to do a better job than Oprah.

Weary

Famous people have been on the trail before. I remember seeing an old Life Magazine picture of Maryln Monroe trying to get her boobs through The Lemon Squeezer on the AT in New York.
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

Hillary is going to put her hair in corn rows and steal the black vote from Oprah.
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    Hillary is going to put her hair in corn rows and steal the black vote from Oprah.
    Aww..I feel sorry for the little guy in the box who just has to run in circles

I think an Oprah is to self-important to take 5-6 months out of her life to do ANYTHING..She`d be more of a 1-2 day event person....Someone like her trying to do a thru would cause such an influx of people on the trail it would become unhikeable
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Journal Entries

Let's hope she hikes during her first term, allowing a vice president to govern. Most any VP strikes me as likely to do a better job than Oprah.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    Maybe Neo can get Hillary to hike the AT. That would get her the cool people vote.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary
    Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary
    Let the record show that I agree with Weary. Twice.

Even in the unlikely event she chooses Dick Cheney. With any luck at all He'll invite her to go bird hunting.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

i want to volenteer to carry the football. if nuclear war breaks out, ill hide it on blood mountain with the cherokees gold. witch by the way im not done looking for. im waiting for oprah to run cause i never voted but would for her in a heartbeat.
    matthewski

to the producers and directers of the oprah whymphry show,... i matthew claude weinstone do hearby solomly swear to show oprah a safe and fun time at trail days should she deside to attend while scoping out the trail community to see if you want to hike with us. i will be your guide. im old school hikertrash and will show you the intimate secrets of our appalachian trail such as the art of makeing trail biscuts and gravies. and ill introduce you to jester, our resident director of litterature and script writting.
    matthewski

I remember the hassle we had a couple of years ago when Lance Armstrong was riding in the mtns training. Getting a room in Hiawassee was very difficult. I couldn't imagine the problem a celebrity would cause all the way up the trail in towns and hostels.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Someone heeds to warn Dot's that Oprah is coming - I haven't seen anything on Dot's menu that is low-cal, preservative and trans-fat free and in general Oprah Wimp-phry approved. I can't wait to see Oprah's reaction to some of the ramen noodle concoctions I've seen on the trail

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++