WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Section Hikers -- 2007

While this year's thrus are double-checking their pack lists, planning their travel arrangements, and counting down the days to start their adventure, I thought it would be good to start a thread for those of us doing the long-term plan. So, to my fellow section hikers -- what are your plans for 2007?

This will be year 4 of my section hike. I am planning to head out sometime in late April to start at Erwin (where I left of last year) and head north for 2-3 weeks.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Default This Year's Sections

Hopefully, two shorties this year--PA 183 to Port Clinton over Memorial Day, then Chester Gap to Sky Meadows sometime in the fall. If all goes well, the first long section next year.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Knock wood, this is the year I finish the AT. I'm hoping to do a section just under 600 miles, from Lehigh Gap down to that road crossing near Blacksburg, VA where I left the trail in 1990. The plan is to do it in late summer. OTOH, the company I work for is in pretty rough shape these days, so it may happen earlier than that. I've survived two rounds of layoffs so far...

Erwin to Damascus in May is a definite; maybe Damascus to Troutdale later in the summer.

Images

My plans were to pick-up up GA this April and then spend a few weeks between SNP and PenMar, however, Wife with a new job (and now pregnant) has drastically changed my plans for my 5 weeks of vacation.
    It looks like I will be combining holiday weekends with some vaction days for only some short 4-5 day trips - Perhaps NY sections or at least MD and WV.
    I cannot complain though....Life couldn't be better and the trail is always there.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

The wife and I will be going northbound, starting from the road that's south of Upper Goose Pond Cabin. If I remember correctly it's Goose Pond Road. We'll only have a week or maybe two in August, so I won't be able to figure out our ending point until I know how long we'll be out for.

We might also have a week available to us in April and will either revisit a section of trail in NY or NJ or maybe go to NY's Catskill Mountains.

Images

Default third year section hikers

(Mega)hurtz and myself (Tealess) will be doing our third section hike this year. We will be starting near Sages Ravine and work our way NOBO for 10 days or so. We’ll certainly get through MA and into VT.

Images

Sam's Gap to Davenport Gap in March, then all I have to do is hike the Smokies and I'll have everything south of I-81 in Virginia. Then I have to start driving north to hike <g>.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

Got PA Route 183 to Swatara Gap (PA section 6) sometime in April. Section 7 Memorial Day (PA). Section 8 Labor Day (PA). Then would love to go back to SNP this fall and do the Central District. If not SNP then would love to do the Cumberland valley in a sort of high class hiking with the wife and stay at a B&B in Boiling Springs.

Sucks the 4th is on Wednesday. My office does give us any other days off. This past year was nice having the 4th on Tuesday and getting monday off as well. Was a nice 4 day weekend.

I will return to the lovely state of PA where Lyme disease and a NASTY spider bite sent me home for many weeks last year. I will start at Lehigh Gap and hike North to Moosilauke. Then I will have covered all of the AT. Plan to leave sometime in May. I'm quite interested to see what the trail/woods look like through that stretch of trail.

Julie

Images

At this point, my next section starts in Erwin,TN heading nobo. Before that, I'll start the trail at Amicalola w/ a friend of mine, Diablo, who is thru-hiking this year. We'll start the approach trail 2/28, and I'll hike to Neels gap, then jump of the trail and head to Erwin to start my next section. Within this trip or maybe a second, my goal is to make it to Kincora by approx 4/11, at which time I'll join my friend on the remaining section to Damascus!! The next "section" will hopefully be this fall. I'll join Diablo a few more times (at least), in Harpers Ferry, and Katahdin. Should be eventful!!!

Journal Entries

I plan to begin my first section hike on 4/12 at Springer and get off in Franklin, NC. Will proabably do 4 or 5 more days this summer to Fontana and be prepared to do the Smokies next Spring.

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

Section hike numero dos will be this summer: Hot Springs to Pearisburg! About 350 miles or so. I'm beyond excited! Til then, I'll be dreaming and planning and waiting.....
    To hope means to be ready at every moment for that which is not yet born, and yet not become desperate if there is no birth in our lifetime.

Images

I've planned my very 1st section hike for this summer(May 26-June 2), and will try to complete the GA section in a week! It's only a section hike, but I'm counting the days!

Springer to Atkins, VA

Planning my first section hike starting Oct 1st at Springer and walking north with the leave color change to Fontana...taking my time...getting to Fontana around the 20th. Cheers.

Madame and I will head out from Harpers Ferry the first of October and finish this years hike at Delaware Water Gap. At least that is the plan. BTW, please note our collective trailname and plan your hike accordingly.

Images

Have 16 hiking days at the beginning of May. Will Start at Lehigh Gap, finish at Kent, CT. I will then have completed Damascus to Kent.

In the fall, I hope to come back for about a week and continue north from Kent to ???

Starting next year, I think I will concentrate on picking up the southern section, starting at Springer. I'm saving the North for the end, want to eventually finish on Katadin.

Lyle

Default SNP in May

After years of car camping and day hiking, I’m planning my first section hike the last week in May. I’m going to start by doing the length of SNP. I was inspired last year while in the park after having the opportunity to speak with some through and some section hikers. I learned about white blaze in the fall and have been reading ever since. I now have most of my gear but am still trying to decide on foot-ware. I thought I had it nailed but am having second thoughts. I’ve embraced the light concept and expect to be around 20 lbs.

I’m planning on going south through SNP and expect that there should be a good population of throughs in SNP the last week in May. Hope to meet some of you as we pass on the trail.

Wawayanda north to CT in June. Southern district of SNP, Northern VA+1/2 MD over some weekends, and hoping for GA, maybe as a week in the fall.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Unicoi Gap to Fontana dam March 31st thru April 7th if I get to go. My wife isn't too happy about me hiking a week alone, eventhough at that time of year I wouldn't be lonely. I will tent every night to avoid the crowded shelters.
    I'm Late, I'm Late, I'm Late!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++