WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Week and a half, where to go?

I have 11 days to hike somewhere great along the AT. Planning on the end of May or first of June. I would like to do a section of the AT. Where should I go? I have hiking most of NH already.

Thanks,
    summitnh

Images

Do the Smokies
    Photofanatic: I will try anything once and twice if I like it.

Images

hike the hundred miles from katahdin to Monson.. Hit up the Gulf Hagas Loop if you've got time..
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You might also look at southern Virginia, perhaps centering around Roanoke (Tarjacket Hill, Cole Mountain, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob), or covering Grayson Highlands north of Damascus. Easy access, high scenic concentration, nice smooth trail, re-supply options.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    hike the hundred miles from katahdin to Monson.. Hit up the Gulf Hagas Loop if you've got time..
    Exactly what my suggestion would be but not for May or even early June. Many maintainers are not able to get to their section until early June because of high water, dangerous water crossings, and usually major blow downs. By July 1, should be no problem except for water crossings which will still be high but at least not ice water. If you want to hike in Maine Andover to the Bigelows or even the Kennebec might be possible and beautiful and should take about 11 days. Some good side trips are available. You are taking a chance though in Maine before mid-June. That early, the Smokies are good. My choice would be Springer to Franklin, North Carolina in the late spring. Cold and wet in April when I hiked it, must be georgous by late May.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs up few people & many views...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    You might also look at southern Virginia, perhaps centering around Roanoke (Tarjacket Hill, Cole Mountain, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob), or covering Grayson Highlands north of Damascus. Easy access, high scenic concentration, nice smooth trail, re-supply options.
    Roanoke is Central VA, and I 2nd the recommendation. You can put together a great 10 day hike anywhere from Pearisburg to Waynesboro and you couldn't go wrong....
    Be Prepared

in 11 days you could hike all of MA/CT.

canoehead

++ New Posts ++