WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Camp Clothes

Default Camp Clothes

I'm planning a thru in '08. My husband has been hiking the AT with his dad for years. So, they've been a great resource for info. However, aside from one month-long hike in ME, they normally do 1-2 week trips mostly consisting of day hikes and a couple overnights.

They normally take camp clothes - something relatively clean to change into when they get to camp. They wear those same camp clothes when they get into town so they don't have to wear their stinkiest and most offensive garb when greeting "civilization".

I plan on carrying a pair of camp shoes with me. In addition, I'll have a bounce box that will contain town clothes and other items I'll only need in town (e.g., cell charger, razor, etc.)

The question:

Are camp clothes a good idea for a thru, or would they be considered extra weight?

Images

In cold weather it's important to have some dry clothing to put on when you get to camp. In warm weather it's not as big a deal, but I still carry a light pair of shorts and a synthetic t-shirt to wear around camp. I don't carry a second set of hiking clothes -- I'll just wear my camp clothes to hike in on the last day or two before the next town. My shorts/shirt combo weighs about 10 ounces, so it's not a big deal for me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by tekiechick View Post
    Are camp clothes a good idea for a thru, or would they be considered extra weight?
    Your call. I say yeah. I'm carrying a sleeping bag rated only at 45 degrees, so my camp clothes include a flannel top and bottom for lounging at camp and sleeping. In truly cold weather (eg., for a February or March start at Springer) you'd need even more, for example, a 2nd base layer for sleeping. But really, there's no "right" answer. Whatever works for you.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Another woman here -- I sleep better if I clean up (I use Huggies baby washclothes) and change once I quit sweating from the hike. My camp clothing are synthetics with a nice feel - mostly Campmor's Duo-dry light base layer. They can serve as extra hiking clothing for warmth or as another set of clothing in case of an accident (slipped in mud, fell in creek, body fluids on clothing , etc.) for hiking. I generally rinse out my hiking clothing as often as possible during the warm part of the day on dry days (at lunch stop often) and put it back on wet. It dries as I hike and cools me off in the process. A win-win situation.

Images

On previous trips on the AT & other trails, I just slept in my hiking clothes. Yea, I know "YUCK!" But I'm a guy & we don't know any better

Last section on the AT I had just a sleeping shirt, that did double duty as a camp shirt if it wasn't raining. OH MY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! While I can't point to any one thing that mad my trip better, that shirt would likely be in the top TEN. The "clean" shirt at end of day really helped my attitude. There is now a cotton / poly tee shirt in my top quilt bag (the equiv of a sleeping bag stuff sack). I'll actually only carry it there first day on trail or first day out of town, but it's there so I don't forget it.

And, based on that experience, I'm also now carrying: Camp / town shorts (my 'retired" UL hiking shorts), Camp socks (Poly liner socks) in addition to the camp shoes.

Routine from 2003: Get to camp, set up, get dinner started, while my food is "resting" I change into my sleeping / camp / town shirt, then I eat.

My cotton poly sleeping shirt is the only piece of cotton clothing I carry, & it's only 40% cotton.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I carry seperate sleeping clothes. I ususally only change into them right before bed. I try to keep the food smells out of me sleeping system if I can help it. I also think it makes a big difference to have cleaner clothes to sleep in.

Images

I agree with what others have said. Have something you can change in to at the end of the day, Truely, it will make you feel better. I OFTEN head downstream of the water source to clean up. Usually just a thorough water-bath with my bandana. I take my warm, dry clothes with me and change out of the stinky ones there. I typically didn't have separate sleeping clothes, but at cool times I wore a lightweight silk shirt. This was my only dedicated piece of gear (bedtimes only) during the the cooler parts of the trip. Have clothes that are lightweight and comfortable, yes, but in colors and fabrics that make you feel like you've done a great thing at the end of the day...and you have! Have a great trip!
    Tipper

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I carry seperate sleeping clothes. I ususally only change into them right before bed. I try to keep the food smells out of me sleeping system if I can help it. I also think it makes a big difference to have cleaner clothes to sleep in.
    Ditto this.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Ditto this.
    Let me add that I wear long johns to bed, roll them up if its too warm. Or course, when its that warm you sleep on top.

++ New Posts ++