WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maps & Packs

Default Maps & Packs

Hello All,

I intend to thru-hike in Feb/Mar 2004 and have a question about maps.
    Are they really necessary? I have read up that it is quite difficult to get lost on the trail so I was thinking of going without (or perhaps buying GA maps then deciding if I needed them for the rest of the trail).
    Is it sensible to go without maps or could this be dangerous? I do not intend to leave the trail except for town stops.

Also, anyone know of any cheap websites for Backpacks? Ideally I want an Osprey Crecent 90 (or Aether 90) but they're incredibly expensive. Any suggestions for a decent thru-hikers pack (Lowe Alpine seem a good choice) bearing in mind I'm from the UK and not all hiking sites will be willing to ship to me. One last thing...what size would you recommend for a pack?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Images

Matt, I recommend checking out eBay. Do some basic searches for the backpacks of interest. It is incredible how often you can find what you are looking for at a good price. Just be sure to check the seller's history so that you are comfortable making the purchase from the vendor.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln

Images

Default yes on maps

Matt,
    many hikers, even plenty of alumni thru-hikers will tell you you dont need maps and that they made it fine the whole way without them. I think thats just plain dumb.
    Not likely, but if something were to happen i.e. injury, sickness, emergency etc..you can use them to navigate a quicket route down to a road or town. The AT is definately not always the easiest/quickest way down.
    The maps are expensive, but shop around, you have time. I bought them used from someone for 45 bucks online with books included.
    The profiles are good to have as well. I always had maps on me and it became incredibly annoying when 8 or 10 people kept asking to see the profile throughout the day.
    I would say don't leave home without em.
    A-Train GAME03

Default Maps

Yes, the AT is well blazed and it is possible to hike the trail with out them. Some do, but it's irresponsible. You need to be able to figure out for yourself how you can get off the trail in an emergency situation and to know what your options are.

Look for the ATC map sale in December.

Images

Default Maptech

You can buy the Maptech set for the AT on Ebay for about $40. Same thing the ATC sells for $100. Nation Geographic sells "Adventure Paper" for printing maps on your ink jet printer.

Images

I also agree maps are very valuable!! When you buy them from ATC there are bundle options for both maps and trail guides. The guides are really NOT needed on the trail. Maybe they are good reading at home but they contain WAY too much detail for everyday use on the AT. They are also HEAVY.

Maps and the "Companion" are the perfect combination.

I recently set out to do the Newfound Gap - Davenport Gap section in the Smokies. The morning of the second day I found myself standing in a hemlock grove wiping my glasses when they flat came apart. My maps told me I could bail out on the Snake Den Ridge trail to the Cosby campground. Although I didn't need them to follow the AT, they defintely saved me some grief that day.

Another consideration; with a map, compass and some basic skills, you can learn to identify landmarks at overlooks. Instead a being just mountains, they become specific pieces of geography. Lends some scale and appreciation to the experience.
    In training for the Chappaquiddick Triathlon "Drink - Drive - Swim"

Matt, I completed my thruhike without maps. They are definitely not NEEDED. Just get the Databook and Companion (or that other Guy's book) and you will be fine. Irresponsible? I strongly disagree. As for pack, I think a big mistake lots of hikers make is getting a pack that is way too big. 3000 to 3500 cubic inches is all you need. I would recommend you check out the packs by Glen Van Peski (www.gvpgear.com). He sometimes has closeout packs for much less than $100.

Images

You do not need the maps to hike the AT in the south. You also don't need a medical kit. If I were to do a hike on the cheap, maps would be about midway down on the list of things to skimp on.

As far as packs go, if you have a light load the GVP should work well for you. But, since you are looking for a 90 liter pack, you are probably planning on hauling a lot of stuff. Don't get the GVP unless you can get your base load (everything except food, water, and fuel) down to 20 lbs. 15 is better. The GoLite Gust is a big pack like you want, with a hipbelt (of sorts) and costs less than $100. It doesn't have a frame and you'd need to get your base weight down as well. For inexpensive, large capacity packs, check out www.sierratradingpost.com. You never know what they'll have, but you should be able to get a Kelty for not too much. You can also try www.northernmountain.com, which has Dana packs on sale frequently.

I would encourage you, however, to try to get your weight down and take a smaller (like 40-60 liters) pack. You are not going to like carrying 50 lbs across Georgia.

Default maps maps maps...

You hit on a big issue here with maps. It sure is safer to have them. However, I didn't carry them on our first attempt (1/2 way) and won't be carrying them on our second attempt. I have the profile. It always made me angry whenever I looked at one. Either the climb it said was SOOOOO big wasn't, or one that it didn't even have on there kicked my butt...

Anyway, I will be carrying BOTH guide books. We found WF's and the companion had different things in different towns. It was nice to have the cross reference. Oh, and the data book as well. WF's doesn't have all the water sources. THe data book pretty much does.

Gravity Man

Default Which Books?

So apart from maps the best books would be the 'Thru Hikers Companion' and which others...
    Matt

As for cheap (at least, cheaper) web-site for Backpacks have a look at"

1. Nortthern Mountain Supply at http://killerdeals.com/

2. Sierra Trading Post at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Default.asp?wc=true

3. Outdoor Outlet at http://www.outdooroutlet.com/

4. REI Outlet at http://www.outdooroutlet.com/

hope this helps...

The best book is The Thru-Hiker's Handbook authored by Dan Bruce. An alternative to this is the Companion.

You also need the Data Book. The Data Book was included in this years Handbook. If you use the Companion you will need to purchase it separately.

Regarding maps; you many never need or use them but it is incredibly stupid to plan on spending 5-6 months in the woods and not know where you are. Pick up the maps at the ATC annual sale from around Thanksgiving to just before Christmas.

Images

The maps and companion are what I would take. The data book may be useful for you. On the PCT, the data book was fairly essential, but mostly for figuring out where I was and where the water was. Water isn't much of an issue on the AT, though.

Default books

Okay, there are three books that I would carry (or at least the pages of the section that I am hiking).

1)Thru-hiker's Handbook. Published by Wingfoot. Here's the link. http://www.trailplace.com/books/handbook_2003.html

2)Thru-Hiker's Companion published by the ALDHA. Here's the on-line version, and a link to order a hard copy. http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

3)The Applachian Trail Data Book published by the ALDHA. Here's a link to their store http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog...d=1&pcatid=120

The data book is not "included" with anything, especially the Handbook since they are written by seperate people. Maybe max patch ordered it bundled through Amazon or something.

On note, if you want the current year's book (let's say you are hiking in 2004, you will want the book for 2004) it isn't always published in time. Especially true of the Handbook in years past. Maybe it has gotten better. The companion wasn't available until Feb. 20th. We hiked with the pervious year's version. I think we picked up the companion at Neel's Gap. I think they have all three books, but I am not 100% on that.

Have fun!

Gravity Man

GAME 2000
    Images

Default Maps

You never know for sure when you will need a map... but when you need one you NEED one. There are too many reasons for me to list all of them. Anytime where you might have to go or want to go where the guidebooks don't take you a map will come in handy. Like heavy rains and impassable streams/creeks/rivers. An injury/illness and you need to get help. Oh, and then there is the case if you lose the trail. Of course you could always take the attitude to just not have any of the situations where you would need a map, some people make it just fine that way.

Youngblood

Default like shoes

okay so not everyone wears shoes when hiking but I do make sure I don't leave home without a map and compass. Invaluable. And you look smart when locate yourself mapwise. Chicks dig a dude who can orient a map.

Default Re: books

Originally posted by gravityman

The data book is not "included" with anything, especially the Handbook since they are written by seperate people. Maybe max patch ordered it bundled through Amazon or something.
    Dan included the Data Book info in his 2003 Handbook. As a matter of fact, the Data Book section (pgs 3 thru 90) of his Handbook was actually more accurate than the separate Data Book as he was able to include a small relo in his handbook that was opened after the separate Data Book had gone to press.

Default okay, that's new...

That's new, and nice to know. But I didn't think Dan has been publishing a data book. I know he stopped some time around 2000. I guess he started back up? Nothing mentioned in trailplace about this either...

Gravity Man

GAME 2000
    Images

Default Re: okay, that's new...

Originally posted by gravityman
    That's new, and nice to know. But I didn't think Dan has been publishing a data book. I know he stopped some time around 2000. I guess he started back up? Nothing mentioned in trailplace about this either...

Gravity Man
    What he did was to include the detailed trail information in the first part of his "Thru-Hiker's Handbook". It is NOT a seperate publication. So, his 2003 Handbook is roughly equivalent to the "Thru-Hikers Companion" & the "AT Databook".

Youngblood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++