WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Boy scout shelter

was reading SOBO Dixiebounds journal and he says boy scout is a "new" shelter. I'm assuming they re-did it. Good thing since it was a mess. Just hope it doesnt get trashed so close to the road.
    A-Train

Default new shelter

in July of this year my girlfriend and I hiked by the work crew, constructing a new shelter. supposodly bigger. better?

The new one is complete and it's quite nice.

I agree with A-train that this will probably become party central.

The rat hole that was there was nice enough to step in from out of the rain and that was about it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Here is a picture of the new Boy Scout Shelter. It sleeps 6 and is only a mile from the road with a large parking lot. No water available. Next water NOBO is a nice piped spring just before Catawba Shelter on the left, about 1 mile. Next water SOBO is at Four Pines Hostel, 0.3 miles left at the crossing of VA-785, just over 5 miles.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

There should have seen a blue blaze to the left of the new shelter, it used to run straight out from the front of the old shelter. Not a good water source, but it should have water in it during wet periods.

The Companion says this shelter is now called Johns Spring shelter.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post Status Report

As of 6/18/05, the shelter was clean & uninhabited. Nothing special to report.
    Last edited by BlackCloud; 06-20-2005 at 21:25. Reason: wrong date
    Be Prepared

Section hikers, 900+ miles, donating members anneandbenhike's Avatar
    Images

I camped at the new shelter last fall and the water was good....with your back to the shelter it is about 25 yds. off too your left. Better source is up the trail about a mile!
    Last edited by anneandbenhike; 06-20-2005 at 16:43. Reason: I meant new shelter!

I camped at the John's Spring shelter Tuesday 6 Sep 2005 - the spring off to the left of the shelter was wet sand and not usable - sign near privy pointed to another spring .25 miles away down an old road (not a bad walk but somewhat downhill to spring) - this spring was OK but a bit cloudy cause it had just been cleaned out when I got there. Seat in the privy is broken - only about 3/4 of a seat left. I think I might have left a 'biner and shoe lace hung on a tree at this shelter - noticed it missing when I was at the next shelter I stopped at.

I did not notice any signs of this being a party spot - maybe the memorial sign has some influence - tough to get party motivated next to a sign about a suicide of a hiker.

I did run into Just Joe as he stopped by the shelter on his way to Catawba - I think he is one of the first few SOBOs of the year - I had previously met him in SNP a few weeks ago (2 or 3 - I can't remember) so it was interesting - he was hoping to eat at the Homeplace but I think he was disappointed in that the restaurant is only open Thurs. through Sun. Other than that he was thinking of finding a bar to drink some carbs.
    Last edited by jlb2012; 09-09-2005 at 13:38.

Images

Yes now it's the john spring shelter. very nice.

++ New Posts ++