WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Default Undecided...

Hey all,

I'm rather undecided about doing the trail come 2008. I guess I have to wait and see what life throws at me between now and then, but I have a gut feeling that I'll be headed NOBO (gasp!) sometime next spring. We'll see what happens, and if I do head out, I look forward to seeing folks on the ridgelines!

Dr. Small Pot
    IAT: QC-NB 2006
    AT: ME-Damascus 2006

Trailname: Not sure yet
    Direction: NOBO
    Start: Mid March? TBD

Default start your engines

mozzie
    nobo
    last week of feb.
    want to leave now

Quote Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
    mozzie
    nobo
    last week of feb.
    want to leave now
    GO Mozzie, Enjoy!

Silk or Silken
    NOBO
    looking for Mar 1 or whatever is the earliest I can stomach the weather... Not sure when it will work out though...
    Springer (not the approach)

my one problem is that I'm pretty out of shape. I love hiking and mountain hiking and used to be great at it, spent a couple years falling completely out of shape (but I've been in shape once and will be again) I have hiked before some of the flatter sections in day hikes in years past (around Harpers Ferry, as well as some down in VA somewhere that I can't recall). I am assuming that I will prep for this as much as possible between now and then, but I will be starting out pretty slow. If anyone is a "slowish" hiker starting out about the same time I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm solo because I dont know anyone personally thats doing the hike, but I would much rather hike with people. I'm also 20 years old and graduating college in December (all the more reason to do this *this* year.)

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Silk or Silken
    NOBO
    looking for Mar 1 or whatever is the earliest I can stomach the weather... Not sure when it will work out though...

my one problem is that I'm pretty out of shape. I love hiking and mountain hiking and used to be great at it, spent a couple years falling completely out of shape (but I've been in shape once and will be again) I have hiked before some of the flatter sections in day hikes in years past (around Harpers Ferry, as well as some down in VA somewhere that I can't recall). I am assuming that I will prep for this as much as possible between now and then, but I will be starting out pretty slow. If anyone is a "slowish" hiker starting out about the same time I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm solo because I dont know anyone personally thats doing the hike, but I would much rather hike with people. I'm also 20 years old and graduating college in December (all the more reason to do this *this* year.)
    There is a march 1st starters thread, you will not be alone. There will be many people starting that day, including myself.

Kirby

Default Silken

Hi There Silken - Indy Girl here. When you are sure as to your March 1st start date I would be interested in your hiking pace. My intention is to hike the entire AT.
    Indy Girl
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

Will get my name on the trail
    NOBO
    ~March 15th
    Undecided on the approach

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Silk or Silken
    NOBO
    Quote Originally Posted by cbserafin7 View Post
    Hi There Silken - Indy Girl here. When you are sure as to your March 1st start date I would be interested in your hiking pace. My intention is to hike the entire AT.
    Indy Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by furtigan View Post
    Will get my name on the trail
    NOBO
    ~March 15th
    Undecided on the approach

See you all along the way.
    SOBO8
    June 1st

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Small Pot View Post
    Hey all,

I'm rather undecided about doing the trail come 2008. I guess I have to wait and see what life throws at me between now and then, but I have a gut feeling that I'll be headed NOBO (gasp!) sometime next spring. We'll see what happens, and if I do head out, I look forward to seeing folks on the ridgelines!

Dr. Small Pot
    Dr. Small Pot--

NOBO?! Say it isn't so!

I think you'll find it a rather different experience, and probably quite a bit of fun.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Small Pot View Post
    Hey all,

Dr. Small Pot
    So it's Dr. Small Pot now? Congrats man on getting your degree. It seems I remember a Small Pot in 06 singing the song from 'O Brother Where Art Thou' while doing domestics up in Maine. I'm guessing that would be you??

Images

Default 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Seems like there have been quite a few new posts since I posted my intentions of a yo yo hike from Harpers Ferry NOBO to Mt Katahdin, then SOBO to Mt Springer, then back to Harpers Ferry.

My original start date was May 5th, however, it seems that most NOBO's are starting from Mt Springer near the beginning of April. I was wondering if starting in May from Harpers Ferry would be too late (i.e. too hot, too many bugs, too isolated from other hikers, etc.)?

I am open to other possible directions (Harpers Ferry SOBO to Damascus for Trail Days, for instance - never been there) or other departure dates.

I am retired, on VA disability, divorced, kids grown and gone, so I have no time restraints or comittments except to hike my own hike and experience all I can and hopefully enjoy most of it.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated

Images

depending on your speed, starting may 5 at springer really isn't that late for a nobo. can't imagine it being hot or buggy starting at harper's ferry at that time of of year. might be isolated from other thru's though. if i remember right i didn't get to that area of the trail til june(started april 1st).
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

On my current time table, I will be pushing through Harper's Ferry mid to late may I believe(starting march 1st).

Kirby

Images

Default 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Many thanks to both AT-HITMAN2005 and Kirby for your replies. Some more information to consider when it comes to trip planning.

Most likely will head NOBO so that I can summit Mt K before the park closes for the season. As far as speed goes, it has been many years since I backpacked extensively, so I expect that I will be a bit slow (at least for awhile), even so, I have allotted 5 months for this portion of my hike from Harpers Ferry to Mt Katahdin which should be plenty of time to "smell the roses" along the way.

Once I summit, then SOBO will not be much of a problem time wise. I do have some winter camping/hiking experience (Germany, Austria, Wind Rivers. Grand Tetons, [I lived a few years in Wyoming]) and will be semi-outfited for the cold weather that I expect to encounter in the northern states during the fall.

Semi-outfited = Long johns, insulated coat, ski hat, insulated gloves,
    wool socks, etc.
    Wabakimi tent, white gas stove, down bag, sleeping pad,
    light down blanket, etc.
    Compass, topo maps, whistle, signal mirror, first-aid kit,
    personal hygene stuff, etc.
    knowledge and commom sense.

Again, thanks guys for the info and maybe I'll see you on the trail Kirby. Happy hiking.

lately it occured to me what a long strange trip it still do-be trippedoutnatureboy's Avatar

I am definetly heading out this comming season not exactly sure when it is up inthe air as soon as funds and all are in order I will be heading to springer I would definrtly do some warm up hikes/sections whatever I livce in PA let me know if you wanna get together and hit the trail.
    ~peace~BiG LoVE&happy TrialZ

Images

If anyone is a "slowish" hiker starting out about the same time I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm solo because I dont know anyone personally thats doing the hike, but I would much rather hike with people. I'm also 20 years old and graduating college in December (all the more reason to do this *this* year.)[/quote]

my sister and i (me: 23, her: 21) are starting nobo at the end of march....we'll probably be taking our dear sweet time, so feel free to hook up with us!

Images

still getting the hang of these forums:

name: the bone lady. will be hiking with my sister, the lovely generic oatmeal.
    route: nobo
    approach: visitor's center
    departure: last week of march

see y'all out there!

formerly amazonwoman

I challenge all class of '08 to make a donation here on whiteblaze. Let's face it, we are all on here all the time taking advantage of the information and the forums. Let's help out a little. I'm not saying you have to give alot but a few dollars from all us '08ers could go a long way. I hope to see more "donating member" tags next time I come to the 2008 forum. Where would we be without whiteblaze???

Quote Originally Posted by amazonwoman View Post
    I challenge all class of '08 to make a donation here on whiteblaze. Let's face it, we are all on here all the time taking advantage of the information and the forums. Let's help out a little. I'm not saying you have to give alot but a few dollars from all us '08ers could go a long way. I hope to see more "donating member" tags next time I come to the 2008 forum. Where would we be without whiteblaze???

Actually Woodsy has a thread going right now about donating to WB. With my time spent hear I don't consider it a donation I consider it co-op maintenance. Thanks to all the folks who keep WB running and to Lone Wolf just for being so mystically cool.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++