WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

My first post!!

I have no name yet
    NOBO
    April 1st is my start date
    I plan on doing the approach trail

Images

Trail Name: Murdock
    NOBO
    Start Date: April 1st
    No Approach trail for me I will return and make it a day hike.

I just finished my shake down cruise I went from springer to NOC and had the time of my life. I will start back at springer in 08. Here is a link to a short video that captures some of the highlights. Check it out, hope you like it! I did.
    http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=288192

Images

RockStar
    NOBO
    April 1st
    Approach Trail: Will determine based on the shape I am in upon arrival!
    Last edited by RockStar; 05-13-2007 at 21:47. Reason: Date change
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Default While not doing a thru in `08....

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Well, GOOD LUCK all 08ers!!! Between this thread and the one already started, I guess I'll start working on the 'Class of 2008' list.
    ....at least not as of yet. things change, I might do the whole thing....nah, I can't...unless...nah....well.....

Trail Name: Freefall
    Direction: NOBO from DWG to Katahdin
    Start Date: 05/18/08
    Approach Trail: n/a (unless I end up actually thru-hiking)

Trail Name: Passionphish
    NOBO
    Starting March 24th 2008

Wanted it since I was ten... I'm 30. Will be 31 when I leave. I can't seem to focus on anything but the trail. Will be doing some practice runs here in Georgia and Tennessee. Anybody game?
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    ....at least not as of yet. things change, I might do the whole thing....nah, I can't...unless...nah....well.....

Come on Freefall, you know you want to; everybody else is doing it. Besides, I was kinda hoping you'd bring some Fat Tire, I miss it dearly.

I second the come on freefall, do a thru. Maybe we could all put some peer pressure on freefall and watch him/her fold under the weight of our numbers. I feel like a bully now.

The Approach Trail, just how hard is it? What is the elevation gain, and over what distance. Don't tell me I have to have some fitness before the hike, was just planning on gritting my teeth and toughing it out. If this Approach Trail is more difficult than I originally thought, I might have to get out and do some walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Come on Freefall, you know you want to; everybody else is doing it. Besides, I was kinda hoping you'd bring some Fat Tire, I miss it dearly.
    Oh, it's notta matter of wantin' to, I just think the nice people that have loaned me all this money to go to school, would be countin their vaults and lookin' around, and scratchin' there heads amongst other parts, and they'd be sayin " well if dat boy ain't in school, then why aren't we getting no checks from him to pay us back all that money we loaned `im?"
    I've already tempted the fates once on that note, not sure if I could do it a gain before I actually graduate.
    Of course, I'm sure more than one person has simply just forgot to stop hiking and ended up doing more than intended.

Fat Tire, you from these here hills?

serenityrich
    NOBO
    Jan 14 -
    Approach from Pinhoti Trail beginnning in Alabama.
    Oh Dear God, it hurts so bad. I must see Springer Mountain and begin the AT and soon. The only thing that has given me any relief at all is the ache of a good eight mile walk. Why can't other people understand that the trail is the center of the universe and all that really matters in life.

I'll be there starting early April, Thru'd in 2004 been in Baghdad ever since so I AM READY for those 2,000 + miles of freedom. OH YES bring it on, bring it on, every blessed inch.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

yeah....another southbounder....wahoo

Images

Fat Tire, you from these here hills?
    Went to college at CSU and spent most of my time hanging out at the New Belgium Brewery and playing disc golf. Based on that sentance understand that I know what you mean about those people wanting their money back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    I'll be there starting early April, Thru'd in 2004 been in Baghdad ever since so I AM READY for those 2,000 + miles of freedom. OH YES bring it on, bring it on, every blessed inch.
    You aren't going to call out cadence are you? It's been too long, I don't remember any of the good ones!

Quote Originally Posted by whykickamoocow View Post
    The Approach Trail, just how hard is it? What is the elevation gain, and over what distance. Don't tell me I have to have some fitness before the hike, was just planning on gritting my teeth and toughing it out. If this Approach Trail is more difficult than I originally thought, I might have to get out and do some walking.
    I did the Approach last year, and even with my sub-par fitness level at the start it wasn't all that hard. You gain 1950' over its 8.3 mile length, although 800' of that gain is in the first mile. It feels hard because its your first day out. Skip it, and your first day, the hike from Springer up past Stover Creek, will be hard. You're screwed either way. It took me about 5 hours to do the Approach, so at worst it adds one more day to your time from Springer to Neels, if you spend the night atop Springer.

Personally, there was something very pyschologically satisfying about bagging one of the most famous peaks on the AT on the very first day, even if it was "optional" miles. Somehow driving to almost the top didn't seem the same. But, as always, HYOH. After the first couple of days no one worries about who hiked the Approach and who didn't.

GA>Damascus '06; GA>ME '08 edizard's Avatar

Come on Freefall. I'm gonna try another thru next year, why shouldn't you. They creditors of yours will understand. Just tell them you will be studying the weather hands on for six months in several different regions of the country. I'm sure they can understand that.

Baloo

Well I wanted to say Welcome to noNameYet, Rock Star, Murdock (thanks for the vid see you in April), serenityrich (wow you must like the cold for a Jan start) Passionphish, and the general.

Thanks for your service General. My bro and my neighbor just came back, my other neighbors wife is suppose to be leaving first part of next yr. thanks again.

Trail Name: The I.V. (Intrepid Voyagers) Men
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: Looking like May 6-7
    This is my partner and I's first time on the A.T. (or it will be)
    I will be 20 he will be 23. We have a goal of doing the whole thing in three months. It sounds impossible but we have to try.

Trail Name: Grizzly Bear
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: some weekend in March
    Approach Trail: Sure why not this time.

I might thru hike, might not. I am at least going to go to Rutland and finish my 2000 miler. I have hiked just under 1000 miles of the thing and was originally just going to finish it, but I have the time and money to go ahead and do the whole thing so I might as well.

Trail Name: DuckMonster, for now.
    Direction: Starting in the middle, going SoBO, going back to start point, going NoBo.
    Start Date: Unknown, but mid- to late-March is what I'm thinking.
    Other info: I'm in my mid-twenties. Kind of a novice hiker and not in great shape--hence the weird order. I figure it'll increase my chances of success. I haven't told my corporate overlords I'm doing this, yet, so that's kind of fun. I'm kind of a hippie: I homebrew beer and make candles and believe in the general worth and equality of every person. ... And I'm looking forward to being part of the AT Community. (I'm also really sad that I'm missing this year's Trail Days.)

Count me in, goin North.

I've only wonted to do this sence I was in middle school (now I'm 38! m eegads!)

lookin to start early april or so.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++