WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Images

wow, last few posts are by balt/dc 'ers !

maybe: yeah i love iota.. work down the street in rosslyn. i think ive been to murphys before - its in oldtown right? maybe ill show up

edit.. maybe: i just checked your myspace. pogues are my favorite! if i do make it to murphys ill be the guy requesting "the irish rover"!
    Last edited by wilconow; 06-20-2007 at 13:05.

Hunched over a keyboard dreaming of trees. Flexo's Avatar

Trail Name: Flexo, but you can call me Bender (or make up a new one)
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: Late April / Early May
    Approach Trail: No thanks

I am trying to pin my boss down for an exact date, I'll post it when I know for sure. If it was up to him I would start on January 30th. Brrrrrrrr....

I really only have a bit more than 3 months available to hike. While I'd like to attempt the full trail I am not so foolish as to expect to complete it in that time frame. The current plan is to evaluate my situation at Harper's Ferry and blaze on if time permits. I am SOOOOO tempted to quit my job. Anyone want to hire a grubby hiker with 2 engineering degrees in late 2008?

I never really paid much attention to the ages, genders and locations of the folks that are already committing themselves to this trek. I think it is awesome to see such a wide variety hitting the trails.

Just under 300 days and counting....see you out there!!!
    You could get mauled by a bear,bit by a snake,gored by a bison,fall off a cliff,struck by lightening,shot by a hunter,attacked by fire ants & die. Or stay home on the couch, eat potato chips & die.

Trail Name : Halfmoon, or Dirty Feet
    NOBO
    Early April
    Approch Trail - yes!

I grew up around the AT, taking hiking for granted until I got older. I'm 23. Last summer during a cross country trip hitch hiking and hopping trains, I ended up on the AT three times, all by mistake or accident. My sense of adventure was very much quenched when on the trail. I was dubbed a B.L.A.H.S member and I never thought hiking would be as fun and enduring as riding trains. I ended up at Trail Days 06 and met some of the best people I will ever know; Mala, Miss Janet, Jester, The Dude, Lint, Sam I am, Wheather Carrot, Baltimore Jack, Bag O Tricks, and the infamous No Pain who taught me everything I didn't know I didn't know! You know? AHahahaa -
    I am ready to set out on another adventure for sure! I grew up in Winchester, VA, but now I live in Eugene, OR, and will be hiking with my friend Kyle (no trail name for him yet) who lives in PA. Any other wingnuts willing to pass the time with a boy scount and a little punk girl with nothing but spunk are welcome to look us up!! I'm so excited to get free again!!! I really look forward to seeing you guys out there!!! "No Pain, no gain, no Maine!!!"

Images

Default Count me in...

Yeah, I'll be there! I only got to Fontana Dam this year because I had to get off. My mom was sick, I was NOT over my break up with ex-fiance, and I left too early, not enough hikers out there for my taste. Hell, I'd leave again now, but I'd never make it and even if I could, I'd rather take my time. I miss it, but that's just how the cookie crumbled. Wiser and a bit of experience now, to Maine we go next year!
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Default Indy Girl wants to know-

Luxury Lite Gear Luxury Lite Gear Thru-Hiker Pack Has anyone used this backpack. Ultralite combo of carbon fiber and aluminum. Very desirable weight; and has 4000 cu in
    [email protected]

AT name: Indy Girl
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

Indy Girl here. I'll be leaving frm Springer Mar 15 thereabout. My want and need is to hike with those experience thru-hikers. Training daily with pack and am asking questions and need answers about lite gear. Don't care about $$$.

Quote: not all who wander are lost.
    Indy Girl
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

so I stayed. Then I planned to go in '07... but I got more involved in my work. It has hit me recently, a thought that scares me deeply, that... that SOMETHING is always going to come up. Words can't describe how frighteni
    Trail Name: Gryphon
    Start Date: Mid to Late March (undecided)
    Direction: Northbound
    Approach Trail: Nah, don't think so.

Not many know I've committed myself to do this. I made an attempt of it a few years back but regrettably left the trail. I've wanted to return every Spring since. I thought maybe I could get my arse out there in '06... but my family needed me,ng of a thought that is to me. Don't get me wrong now, I love my family and I enjoy my work (not everyone can say that)... its just that... I can't get the Trail off my mind. It's something I HAVE to do.

I sleep better out there, I'm happy out there. I yearn for the day I can take that first step north from Springer. The first night back in a shelter. All the extraordinary people I'm sure to meet. To stop and say, "I'm Home."
    ~May all your dreams be sweet and your muse never leave your side.~

Trail Name: Gryphon
    Start Date: Mid to Late March (undecided)
    Direction: Northbound
    Approach Trail: Nah, don't think so.

Not many know I've committed myself to do this. I made an attempt of it a few years back but regrettably left the trail a couple months in. I've wanted to return every Spring since. I thought maybe I could get my arse out there in '06... but my family needed me, so I stayed. So I planned to go in '07... but I got more involved in my work. It has hit me recently, a thought that scares me deeply, that... that SOMETHING is always going to come up. Words can't describe how frightening of a thought that is to me. Don't get me wrong now, I love my family and I enjoy my work (not everyone can say that)... its just that... I can't get the Trail off my mind. Not a day goes by that I don't see something that reminds me off my time out there. I've got the bug, don't you think?

I sleep better out there, I'm happy out there. I yearn for the day I can take that first step north from Springer. The first night back in a shelter. All the extraordinary people I'm sure to meet. To stop and say, "I'm Home."

Ick. Goodness... I can't seem to find a way to edit the first post I made (the one that is totally frakked up, yeah, that one). I don't know if it was a slip on this tiny laptop or being awake at this time of day...or both... but could someone please erase it. Thanks anyway. Sorry for the trouble.

Default The Gathering

Trail Name: Wandering Soul or tbn (to be named)
    NOBO
    Start Date: Mar 11th - Superman's birthday (my dad)

Wilconow,

The Gathering is a great place for information, inspiration,
    and fellowship. One of the big items on the agenda during
    Friday nights opening festivities is the Roll call of the Years.
    The Coordinator for the event calls off the years, and the people
    that are there that completed that year, stand up. Last year,
    Gene Espy was there for 1951! Also, there was a new gentleman
    there who was from 1959 I believe. Very inspiring and motivating! In fact, the Roll call was one of the reasons I first went to a Gathering. It sounded really cool, and I really
    wanted to see that. Definitely worth it!
    The Gathering also has, as one of its events, a forum where
    thru-hikers from the previous year sit on a panel so people can
    ask them questions. A great way to get the most up-to-date
    information. The Gathering also has sessions on resupply,
    gear, wilderness medicine, other trails, plus vendors, displays,
    and informal jam sessions! Something I definitely look forward
    to each year. I have been going since '03, and planning on being
    there again, especially since I plan on thru-hiking in '08. This
    year, the Gathering will be at Gettysburg College on Columbus Day
    Weekend.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Smile 2008

Trail Name: Kirby
    Direction: NOBO
    Year: 2008
    Start Date: March First

Yeah, I think that says everything. I live in Maine, the AT is amazing here.

Kirby

Greetings all of you 2008 thru hikers.
    IndyGirl here. Currently researching trek(sp) hiker poles. Anything lighter?
    [email protected]
    Indy Girl

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cbserafin7 View Post
    [email protected]
    Most of the time lighter is better. I am not so sure that is the case with trekking poles. They may be an exception to the rule as strength and durability is the biggest factor here. They take a beating.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by cbserafin7 View Post
    [email protected]
    How heavy are the one you have now?

There are trade-offs for lightness, in strength and cost. Carbon fiberpoles are lighter than aluminum, but snap rather then bend. (Aluminum poles can snap also, but bend a little first). Carbon fiber isn't a good choice for your first set of poles. Use a sturdier, cheaper set until you see for yourself what happens when the get stuck between rocks, roots etc, and you learn when you need to take your hands out of the straps.

Shock-absorber poles cost more than non-shock absorber ones and they are heavier (not much, admittedly, but there are inserts and springs added). For this expense and weight penalty, you get a pole that is annoying when you want to carefully put your weight on it gong down a steep hill. I cannot ever imagine slamming the poles so hard at the ground that I need to cushion the shock of the blow.

Non-telescoping poles are lighter and cheaper than the equivalent telescoping pole. They are awkward when traveling, though.

If your goal is lightness, not durability or money, for $96 get these. They weigh 2.6 ounces each:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-..._lightrek.html

If money is your prime consideration, follow Warren Doyle's advice; Go to a Goodwill Store and buy a pair of used ski poles for a buck. You get a pair of the least expensive poles you can buy and Goodwill put your dollar to good use.

I have two sets of poles. A ten-year-old pair of EMS poles I obught for about 40 bucks. They weight 11 ounces each, are aluminum, and have been through the wars. THey are adjustable, but I keep the feature turned of (yes, they continually turn back on, but I keep twisting them back off). They are bent and stratched and most of the numbers have been rubbed off. I used them on weekend trips and day hikes. As soon as they break, I will repace them with a cheap pair of aluminum, telescoping, non-shock-absorbing poles.

For hikes longer than a week, when I have to consider cummulative fatigue, I use a pair of Komperdells from REI. They are the DuoLock men's model, weigh 6 ounces each, and cost $130 for the pair (on sale sometimes at REI for $99.)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...uolock_gg.html

Like a lot of gear, you don't know what you want/need/like until you actually use it. Borrowing gear, or buying cheap used gear to start is often a good idea. Then you can buy the right stuff after you understand and are familiar with the gear.
    Frosty

Default Class of 08

V8
    NOBO
    March 1st-ish
    ???

Glad to see a list taking shape. It's fun to meet other people who do this stuff! Since I'm starting early, and am not real fast, I expect to see most of you en route. Excellent!
    V8
    -lyk2hyk

Chad
    NOBO
    First week of March
    Approach Trail included

1st timer from Long Island hoping to get away from everyday life for a bit. Not 100% sure as to my commitment to going, but it's been in my head for the last two months and I have started gathering gear for a checklist, saving funds, and making a rough schedule; not to mention reading loads of information from you guys .

Hope to see the AT in its entirety.

Talking 2008 Thur-Hike

Hi ever one i had to delay my hike till 2008 but this time come hell or hi water i will be on the trail. Feb 3 2008

Trail Name Easy Gone

No name yet
    NOBO
    March 19th

Can't wait till I get to lead some of my campers on the trail in Aug. I know for most thru's the pesky kids are a pain in the butt... but I personally love seeing young'ns get out there... just one step closer to next year!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns, and cities." Nessmuk, 1963

Journal Entries

Snifur
    SoBo
    01 June 2008, commited, 100%, absolutely, nothing to stop me. at least i dont think anything can stop me.

Where r all the soboers?

Oh, they're around.....it just takes 'em longer to respond.

Has to do with doing everything backasswards, I guess.....

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++