WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you normally carry a Map or Compass? (while backpacking on AT)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Map & Compass

Default Map & Compass

Seems like everyone has an opinion on this topic. Let's count em' up.

:banana

Always take'em and use'em.
    Mostly for training my boys.
    I still use the old style Engineering type compass that I was taught to use in the military. (lensatic)

Map and compass ALWAYS. I even carry them when hunting relatively small and well known patches of ground. They help me plan stalking routes, locate likely spots where deer might bed down, where they might find water and food, etc. Plus, as anyone can tell you, when you are walking through the woods without any trails, and concentrating on something other than walking in a relatively straight line, it is real easy to lose your sense of direction and end up turning around in circles, a map and compass help you avoid that.

Lensatic compasses are exceptional for cross country travel. Good ones are pricey. My preference for mountaineering is a Suunto sighting compass with a sighting mirror/cover. For hunting and general trail hiking, I use an old Boy Scout orienteering compass, a Silva type 1070. Great little compass.

Map and Compass skills are gateway skills. Along with First Aid, I consider these to be elementary to responsible backcountry activity.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

i use a silva (sweden, not silva usa, ptah!) voyager 9020 compass. needle is balanced for multi-hemisphere, with that mmmmmmm yellow plastic baseplate. (i like that for placing on top of a map more than the old clear style).

http://www.silva.se/outdoor/products/1dis_cvoy.htm

(i think the original silva is known as brunton in the usa?).

it wont be coming with me to my thruhike attempt tho....
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

Images

I too always carry a map&compass no matter where I am hiking!!
    I use a Silva Polaris which is an inexpensive map compass but it hasnt let me down yet! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I carry both, but rarely reference the mini compass/thermometer when hiking on the AT. I use maps frequently, moreso than guidebook pages (but then, I'm a geography major!).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I don't carry a compass for weekend hikes in the Smokys, but did for most of my AT section hike last summer. I never used it, though. On the PCT, I carried my compass (and maps) and used it quite a bit for route finding. Even stupid route finding. The PCT isn't marked like the AT. Even some trail junctions are not marked.

No map, no compass, no fear of getting lost on the Appalachian Trail (even on my first hike in 1973).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

The 59% figure for "maps and compass" seems high; I very much doubt that this many thru-hikers even know how to properly use a compass, much less carry one.

I always carry current maps of the section I'm hiking, and would never consider going without; I would consider it reckless and irresponsible to do otherwise. They are especially useful if you're called upon to assist in a search and rescue; to evacuate a sick or injured hiker; if you're forced to find an alternate hiking route due to trail closure (forest fire, flooding, impassable streams, etc).

On ALL of my hikes, I've used the maps for these purposes, as well as for their principal purpose, which is to tell you where you are, and to provide information on the terrain that surrounds you. They are also invaluable for planning your hiking day as the "trail profiles" contain a wealth of information.

Is it possible to thru-hike without maps and the ability to read them? Sure. But I don't think it's very smart.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I had a great reinforcement of the value of carrying a map. I was hiking north towards Snickers Gap two years ago and encountered a young woman walking the other way with only a small day pack. As it was only 2 hours to sunset and I wasn't aware of any side trails, I asked where she was going. She told me that her friend dropped her off at the Gap and she was going to walk home to Bluemont. I was pretty sure that Bluemont was north and east of Snickers Gap, but I had to pull out the map to prove it to her. It was 12 miles south to the next road crossing and it would drop into the 30's that night. She turned around and walked quickly back to the Gap and I never did find out what happened to her, except that there were no search & rescue teams out the next morning.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I always carry map and compass because I'm often wandering(wondering) around off trail, or exploring old routes. On trail they're useful for figuring out what mountain or lake that one over there is, or for thinking out escape routes. The Rangers at Baxter have a rescue mission rate of almost one per day during the camping season, and they like to say that they've never yet had to rescue a hiker who had a map and compass.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Originally posted by warren doyle
    No map, no compass, no fear of getting lost on the Appalachian Trail (even on my first hike in 1973).
    How did you figure out where to park the van without maps?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

(From your favorite bridge jumper)
    Read the original question carefully.
    Maps are in the van's glove compartment, not in my daypack/backpack/plastic bag.
    Last edited by warren doyle; 10-27-2003 at 20:09.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Teej's comment about Rangers in Baxter seldom, if ever, having to search for and rescue folks who have a map and compass is echoed by similar comments I've heard from Rangers and Ridgerunners in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, where searching for lost or injured hikers is practically a daily occurence.

Not carrying a map and compass (or at least a map) potentially puts YOU at risk, it potentially puts at risk the folks who'll have to expend time and energy needlessly saving your ill-prepared ass, and it greatly reduces your ability to help anyone else in an emergency situation.

Examples of this are too numerous to relate here; there are stories of wood and mountain "rescues" several times a week in my local New Hampshire papers; virtually without exception, the folks involved either had no maps, or didn't know how to read the ones they had. And putting other folks at risk is no joke----at least one "rescuer" needlessly lost his life on Mt. Washington because of foolish hiking decisions made by "experienced" hikers who were travelling without maps.

Travelling without maps, or leaving them behind at home or in your vehicle, can be a recipe for disaster; after all, nobody ever starts their day EXPECTING to get lost, or expecting to be incvolved in a search and rescue operation involving others. Yet these things happen frequently in the backcountry, and the responsible and prudent hiker is aware of this......whether or not you're out for 6 months or only covering six tenths of a mile, you should carry a map; other than simple laziness, there's no real excuse not to.

Originally posted by warren doyle
    Read the original question carefully.
    Did that. I often read carefully.
    Read your first and second answers too.
    Why did you craft your first response so it would appear
    that you didn't use maps during your hikes?
    Teej

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Thumbs up SILVA VOYAGER COMPASS

MadAussieInLondon: the SILVA VOYAGER 9020 looks really cool, I know my local shop doesn't have anything like that.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

For the AT, I even found maps to be non useful for awhile when they got lost in a bounce box. They were lost for about 4 states kinda mid hike. I like to look at maps, it passes time and I will admit I am a Blue Blazer - for the good stuff - not just to make the hike shorter. Give me a waterfall, give me a view, heck give me the old AT. For the AT only can I say you really can't get lost. If you want to get lost and find your way back, yes map and compass. For a purist - sticking to the trail, i'f I were a purist I wouldn't carry either - especially if you'r one of those weight worrying folk. PCT and CDT definately!!!!!!! You kinda miss some of the blazes (if there are any) walking on 20 ft of snow. Honestly I got lost on AT once going into Vernon - had a hell of a day. I hadn't planned on the stop for Vernon hostel - Great place. The point being, ya really can't get lost on the trail. For the AT there are so many other people carrying every type of lit. you need. Each night, take a look at their books, otherwise follow the blazes. Out of all the trails, especially the long distance, ya really can't get lost on either the AT or the LT (much shorter trip). It is what you feel safe with.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

GAME 2000
    Images

Originally posted by Blister
    For the AT, I even found maps to be non useful for awhile when they got lost in a bounce box. They were lost for about 4 states kinda mid hike. I like to look at maps, it passes time and I will admit I am a Blue Blazer - for the good stuff - not just to make the hike shorter. Give me a waterfall, give me a view, heck give me the old AT. For the AT only can I say you really can't get lost. If you want to get lost and find your way back, yes map and compass. For a purist - sticking to the trail, i'f I were a purist I wouldn't carry either - especially if you'r one of those weight worrying folk. PCT and CDT definately!!!!!!! You kinda miss some of the blazes (if there are any) walking on 20 ft of snow. Honestly I got lost on AT once going into Vernon - had a hell of a day. I hadn't planned on the stop for Vernon hostel - Great place. The point being, ya really can't get lost on the trail. For the AT there are so many other people carrying every type of lit. you need. Each night, take a look at their books, otherwise follow the blazes. Out of all the trails, especially the long distance, ya really can't get lost on either the AT or the LT (much shorter trip). It is what you feel safe with.
    Blister, I disagree with you. I think your argument points out why you need a map & compass... and know how to use them. What if you substitute the word 'seatbelt' for 'maps & compass' and change 'hiking' to 'driving'. Someone could post a similiar response as to why you don't need to wear seatbelts. The vast majority of the time you can get by without them (thank goodness). Some people may never need them, but when you do need them... you need them.

I think people are not looking at the big picture when they dismiss the need for map and compass on the AT. This is coming from a former AT thru-hiker who only carried his maps for half the trip. Want to guess which half and why? It wasn't going into Vernon, it was in PA where I missed a relo, one where they missed blacking out at least one white blaze and like you said-- "it was a hell of a day". I started getting my maps sent to me after that. You cannot possibly predict when and why you might need maps and compass. You are being foolish if you think that you don't need to carry them because someone else will happen by with them WHEN and IF you need them.

Youngblood

Images

Default We all get brain lock now and then

Laugh if you want, I actually once got _turned around_ on the AT. I encountered a huge boulder field in Pa. No visible footpath. Couldn't see any blazes on the rocks. Heavily overcast, no sun.

Three choices: Go along the left edge, along the right edge, or up the middle. I picked the right edge (seems like the trail rarely goes up the middle of a boulder field). After about 200' I decided that I'd guessed wrong, so I turned around and went back. I saw a blaze leading off the rocks and into the woods. Eureka! Off I went.

After a mile or so, things started looking mighty familiar. I ran into a guy coming the other way. "How far is it to Route 183?" "Well", he said, "actually, 183's behind you". That's when I took out my compass and map, and figured out I was off by 180 degrees.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Blazes in PA

Reading C.Coyle's post reminded me of an observation I made during this year's thru. I found that in order to avoid tripping and falling in PA I often hiked pretty much "heads down". Occasionally I'd look up only to discover that there were no white blazes to be found. I'd look to the right and to the left and figure out that I had wandered a tad off the trail. This was easy to correct without a map or compass. Not trying to downplay the importance of the maps. I carried them all the way. I just found it interesting that someone else had a similar experience with regard to blazes.

PA Rocks !! ("Rocks" being used as a verb here !!)
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++