WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail Mate CD-ROM

Has anyone used this? Is it worth getting?
    I see it is a 2000 edition and they are in the process of making a new one. Technology has changed a lot in 7 years, so it might be worth it to wait until the new one comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Dave View Post
    I see it is a 2000 edition and they are in the process of making a new one. Technology has changed a lot in 7 years, so it might be worth it to wait until the new one comes out.
    Dave,

Got it, and last I saw it was much cheaper now that when I bought it. For printed maps it is lousy (or is for me), but the text descriptions alone are worth it. It has the full text of all of the section guidebooks. Granted, now 7 years old, but still mostly correct. I copy and paste these into Word, edit them as needed, and then print these and carry along instead of the books. Very handy.

Tripp

You can have mine if you want it. Send me an off-line email.

I'm not using it.

Default I think the Appalachian Trail Mate has it's purpose...

CT Dave,
    I do own a copy of it and do see that it could be valuable tool for some people but not all. Yes, it was developed in 200 however on his website, http://www.barker-innovations.com/ you can download all the recent updates (updated for this hiking season) for free. Besides having a lot of the same info (raw, abbreviated data) you'd find in the Data Book and/or the Companion, I like it because you can quickly get an idea of what and where you will be for planning purposes. Yes, I know that ones' schedule constantly changes along the trail, at least when people ask when you'll be as such and such location (because they have to fly from say the west coast or another country) this provides a good guesstimate, immediately.

Also, I like the idea of supporting someone in creating this or any decent tool in our community... always fun to see what they do with these projects when a little financial support comes back.

Cheers!
    Matt

Images

I spoke to Laurie Pottiger(sp) at the ATC office on Tuesday the 8th and asked her about the Trail mate and if it was going to be updated. She told me that it wasn't.

I blew her mind when I walked in and greeted her by name. She was like who the HMMM are you and how do you know my name hehe. Then I told her who I was and then she was like oh hehe. Plus the fact I had my Whiteblaze shirt on that helped.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

I use the program as an itinerary for AT section trips I organize for a large group and have found it to be great. I have not been disappointed using this software.
    Toothless

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    You can have mine if you want it. Send me an off-line email.

I'm not using it.
    Froggy, If you still have this software I would like to have it. Let me know and we can work out the details.

Toothless, when you gonna post a podcast again. Man I enjoyed your show. I had to go back and re-listen to most all of them while you be off-air. Great to see you are still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless View Post
    I use the program as an itinerary for AT section trips I organize for a large group and have found it to be great. I have not been disappointed using this software.
    Toothless
    If you are not using your AT Mate, would you sell it to me? I am searching for one of the cd's. I had one once before and used it extensively, but my pc crashed, and I lost everything. Let me know if you would part with it! Thanks!!
    Rev. Arthur M. Yates
    General Evangelist
    https://ayatesministries.com

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    Dave,

Got it, and last I saw it was much cheaper now that when I bought it. For printed maps it is lousy (or is for me), but the text descriptions alone are worth it. It has the full text of all of the section guidebooks. Granted, now 7 years old, but still mostly correct. I copy and paste these into Word, edit them as needed, and then print these and carry along instead of the books. Very handy.

Tripp
    trippclark, any possibility that you still have the Appalachian Trail Mate cd? If so, would you sell it to me? PLEASE.
    Rev. Arthur M. Yates
    General Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by MattBob View Post
    CT Dave,
    I do own a copy of it and do see that it could be valuable tool for some people but not all. Yes, it was developed in 200 however on his website, http://www.barker-innovations.com/ you can download all the recent updates (updated for this hiking season) for free. Besides having a lot of the same info (raw, abbreviated data) you'd find in the Data Book and/or the Companion, I like it because you can quickly get an idea of what and where you will be for planning purposes. Yes, I know that ones' schedule constantly changes along the trail, at least when people ask when you'll be as such and such location (because they have to fly from say the west coast or another country) this provides a good guesstimate, immediately.

Also, I like the idea of supporting someone in creating this or any decent tool in our community... always fun to see what they do with these projects when a little financial support comes back.

Cheers!
    Matt
    MattBob,
    Would you sell your copy of the Appalachian Trail Mate cd? Maybe, you could loan it to me so I could install it again on my PC?
    Rev. Arthur M. Yates
    General Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless View Post
    Toothless
    Toothless,
    Would you sell me your copy of the Appalachian Trail Mate? Maybe just loan it to me?
    Rev. Arthur M. Yates
    General Evangelist

++ New Posts ++