WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mass AT House for Sale

The house adjacent to the AT in North Adams is up for sale. See the bottom right hand item on this page http://stateline-realty.com/_wsn/page4.html "North Adams Colonial".

Cosmo

can you see the house from the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by TinAbbey View Post
    can you see the house from the trail?
    You certainly can. You walk right through theirside yard to get to the road. I'd love to buy that place and do what Tom does in Dalton. It would be perfect. Anyone here think the members here could gather $190,000 and call it the WB house? . . . Seriously.

Peace
    Warraghiyagey
    SOBO7

Journal Entries
    Images

I here you. I would love to purcahse that also. The wife and I have always wanted to have a hostel and a B&B but we do not have $190,000 to buy it with.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I here you. I would love to purcahse that also. The wife and I have always wanted to have a hostel and a B&B but we do not have $190,000 to buy it with.
    OK, seriously I could give $3,000. Surely the collection of WBers could come close to the right amount, we could start our offer at $170,000.
    The WB house is born.

Form a not-for-profit to buy it. $170 sounds high for a starting offer. Probably need about $200,000 to buy it, pay associated fees, a year of taxes, and some repairs. Sell 200 shares at $1,0000 each with a limit of 5 or 10 per person.

Unfortunately it's on a very small lot for a house out in the country owned by a bunch of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Form a not-for-profit to buy it. $170 sounds high for a starting offer. Probably need about $200,000 to buy it, pay associated fees, a year of taxes, and some repairs. Sell 200 shares at $1,0000 each with a limit of 5 or 10 per person.

Unfortunately it's on a very small lot for a house out in the country owned by a bunch of people.
    Well there would certainly have to be some logistics worked out. It's purpose would have to be as a hostel by and for hikers but there would also have to be a keeper/caretaker or a co-operative whereby a committee would oversee it's upkeep and certainly would have to be occupied by said keepers, be it a couple people year round or a scheduled rotation of keepers.
    It's not impossible. Meaning lining up the logistics and making it possible.
    Anyone?

Images

Four bedrooms, but only one bathroom. Ha. That'll be fun with a house full of hikers. Otherwise a nice looking house.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Has anyone checked to see if there are zoning issues?

An outside hot shower, a few picknick tables, and a leanto for the hikers. An inside bedroom could be used for resupply, traded books and gear, a common room to BS in bad weather. A nice stop along the way, like Upper Goose Pond. How's he septic system? Probably an washer/dryer on the ground floor. Makes me dream. Mark S

whats wrong with fourhundred people with 500 bucks? why not 800 folks with 250 bucks? once its running and turning a profit enough to self sustain,...we all wait for the property value to skyrocket 20 years from now. or,.. we simply hand the deed down in our familys as a proud tradition. eventualy some hard working honest couple would be our permenent trusted caretakers and we would teach and make it a learning hostle.im in for all my bucks. as scrimpy as they may be. you could have all my money.
    matthewski

endowments, grants, set up a non profit. boy scouts? anyway you cut it, its a worthy endevor. to establish a foundation on the trail teaching usefull skills. a refuge of some sort. an agracultural demonstration garden. a theem of passive solar, maby a theem of wastefull failure, but worth discussion and brainstorm. i say we form a com,......kidding.
    matthewski

endowments, grants, set up a non profit. boy scouts? anyway you cut it, its a worthy endevor. to establish a foundation on the trail teaching usefull skills. a refuge of some sort. an agracultural demonstration garden. a theem of passive solar, maby a theem of wastefull failure, but worth discussion and brainstorm. i say we form a com,......kidding.the matthewski center for thruhiking disorders
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    once its running and turning a profit enough to self sustain,
    Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

In my earlier post, I meant co-op, not not-for-profit, as a legal structure.

It would of course not be for profit.

Images

[quote=mweinstone;361245] boy scouts? quote]

I hope they don't make me sleep on the lawn the day I come through.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

I'm in, and I live in the area. Could scout it out. Wouldn't mind being a caretaker. We could do it like upper goose pond - each caretaker is assigned a one week shift. We could close it in the winter months (October - February) since I don't think there would be many hikers coming through. Mass is in dire need of a good hostel. (Upper goose pond is nice but it has no resupply, so it's really more like an awesome shelter with pancake breakfast).
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

Default all bacon shelter

all bacon. all the time. one low cover at the door gets you all the bacon you want. the legond of bacon hollow will go down in history. or a greese fire.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    whats wrong with fourhundred people with 500 bucks? why not 800 folks with 250 bucks?
    . . . we simply hand the deed down in our familys as a proud tradition. eventualy some hard working honest couple would be our permenent trusted caretakers and we would teach and make it a learning hostle.im in for all my bucks. as scrimpy as they may be. you could have all my money.
    Exactly. And we could deed the property with a 'hiker trust' stipulation, whereby it could never become a victim of eminent domain.
    It is possible that a WB house could be maintained with all the good folks that love the trail and engage in this very large family that is WhiteBlaze.

Images

I think you guys are onto something. *starts counting coins from the "savings" jar.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    The house adjacent to the AT in North Adams is up for sale. See the bottom right hand item on this page http://stateline-realty.com/_wsn/page4.html "North Adams Colonial".
    Cosmo
    Interesting. I wonder if the AMC, ATC, etc. would want to get involved in acquiring it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++