WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Default Stop Mountaintop Removal

I try not to bring politics into the trail world, but this is something that affects us all. Please go to this site and register....this little action on your part WILL help. http://www.ilovemountains.org/take_action/campaigns/mountains/register/ ea7177c9d623c70c434a8817a769c3e9/
    The below was written my a friend of mine:
    THIS IS A REPOST FOR "WONDER," but I want to ad my 2 cents:

The "clean coal" that liars such as General Electric are trying to get you to believe in tends to come from mountains that have been blown up with dynamite and pushed into the valley next to where they used to stand. Where is this happening? All through the hilly portions of the Eastern US (at least – read more at the site listed in the original message, below). What does this do? Pollutes the groundwater and the stream that is usually at the bottom of the valley; doesn't just destroy, but eliminates the local ecosystem leaving behind an acidic moonscape; employs nobody locally and then eliminates any local economy that may have been there for the original inhabitants. Even though the coal companies are required by law to leave the land "improved" (their word), the one, single building they ever tried to built on this ruined rubble was a Wal-Mart that sunk immediately, and is off-limits to the public. Some improvement over a wooded mountain with a stream at its base.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Thanks for the update, Wonder... these are good folks, I'll be working with them soon via Appalachian Voices. Removing mountaintops is definitely not a good use of our mountain resources.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...on/AT102-1.jpg

I thought you could post a photo? Whatever, now ya'll have to click a link.

Default Exploding Heritage radio program

Hey Wonder,
    I wonder (harhar) if you heard the same show on XM this weekend that I did because I thought the same thing.. for anyone who is interested, you can download the show 'Exploding Heritage' from Audible.com that earned Bob Edwards an Environmental Program Gold World Medal from The New York Festivals. "The Bob Edwards Show takes up the controversial issue of mountaintop removal in the south-central Appalachian Mountains. The method of extracting coal by blowing the tops off of mountains is devastating plant, animal life and greatly affecting communities that live in the surrounding areas. Edwards explores how mountaintop removal is leveling the oldest mountain range in America -- leaving the landscape, the local economy and the local culture ravaged."

Search around the internets for 'Exploding Heritage' and 'mountain top removal' to find recent links about what's happening to our landscape, in the name of enery and corporate profits.

Cheers!
    Matt

Images

Its happening here all over Alabama... hills have been leveled into nothing, valleys filled to the brim. Makes me sick just thinking about it.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

You should see Eastern Kentucky. I'm involved with a great group called Kentuckians for the Commonwealth www.kftc.org . The book Missing Mountains has essays, poetry, etc with reactions of authors to what they saw during their flyovers of the coalfields of Eastern KY.

Images

I was actually introduced to a group in Boone, NC called Appalachian Voices. It was a perfect meeting because I had recently started searching orgs. to work on this with. They are having a lobby week in Washington this week, so the more people that register with the site, the stronger their cause will be.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...

Images

Kentucky is in big trouble .. read LOST MOUNTAIN by Erik Reece. A great resource to learn about Mountaintop removal in southern Appalachia..
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

I'm afraid its going to get alot worse now that the goverment wants to build a bunch more coal burning power plants in the states. The stated reason is to ween us off foriegn oil. Riiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhttt. You can bet somebody is going to get rich off the deal while Mother Earth takes the beating. Sounds like the John Hartford song "Paradise" all over again.

Images

Me and Uncle Silly will have information with us. If you are intrested, stop by Fishin Freds table across the street from Mt. Rogers outtfitter. We hope to have a variety of pamphlets and possiably even a lap top where you can register your name on the I love Mountains website.
    Spread the word folks. This week is our greatest oppertunity to make stand against the total rape of our land.
    While your sitting there at the computer...please..take a minitue and register. It WILL make a difference.
    http://www.ilovemountains.org/take_action/campaigns/mountains/register/ ea7177c9d623c70c434a8817a769c3e9/

Images

oh...I'll be the one at the table behind all of the earrings and bandanas

++ New Posts ++