WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Thumbs down Vandalism at Monson

Sorry if this is a repost.

Sadly the beginning of hiking season also brings out the darker elements too. Yesterday a mercedes sedan with NY plates parked at the trailhead on Rt 15 north of Monson had it's rear window kicked in by someone with nothing better to do.

The sherriff said the owner was from NYC, I believe, but did not know how to get hold of the person immediately. Passing by today I noticed someone had taped black plastic over the window.

I believe the shuttler who works at Shaws(?) reported the incident to the sherriff as he was sitting there in his vehicle. We arrived there by coincidence at the same time as the sherriff. Nothing was taken from the inside of the car. Just some muddy bootprints on the trunk.

That would be the last thing I would want to see at the end of a hike.

Images

Sad lesson learned.. don't leave your car at the trailhead..
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost.

Sadly the beginning of hiking season also brings out the darker elements too. Yesterday a mercedes sedan with NY plates parked at the trailhead on Rt 15 north of Monson had it's rear window kicked in by someone with nothing better to do.

The sherriff said the owner was from NYC, I believe, but did not know how to get hold of the person immediately. Passing by today I noticed someone had taped black plastic over the window.

I believe the shuttler who works at Shaws(?) reported the incident to the sherriff as he was sitting there in his vehicle. We arrived there by coincidence at the same time as the sherriff. Nothing was taken from the inside of the car. Just some muddy bootprints on the trunk.

That would be the last thing I would want to see at the end of a hike.
    That really sucks.
    Frosty

Images

Ignorance breeds contempt.

Years ago things were different.

Secure parking is an issue.

Images

Hmmmm. The oppressed Meth induced youth of Monson perhaps teaching a lesson to those flauntingly rich touristy upstarts from the City??????
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Dont take your Mercedes to the trailhead. Take your Pinto.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

First vandalism at that trailhead I've ever heard about. And the way old Keith would gossip I'm sure I would've heard about it! Nothing taken from the NY car? Red Sox fan did it. Unless they had a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker, then it was their own dern fault.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Sox fan would have used a rock. Plenty of those around, might screw up a boot.

Levity aside, this is not the way life should be...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    First vandalism at that trailhead I've ever heard about. And the way old Keith would gossip I'm sure I would've heard about it! Nothing taken from the NY car? Red Sox fan did it. Unless they had a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker, then it was their own dern fault.
    Maybe there was a Burt's Bees sticker on the back window. I know how you guys love them up there. (I've stopped buying BB stuff as well after talking to folks up there last year.)

Images

Eh. Better that Roxanne gives a bunch of timberland to the state than EarthFirst! comes in and spikes all the trees.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Sorry, TJ. a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker," is not a valid excuse for vandalism, as you know. and I know. It was aflippant remark on your part. But even flippant remarks need answering, from time to time.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Sorry, TJ. a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker," is not a valid excuse for vandalism, as you know.
    Not for you or I, Weary. But as you know, for the kind of yahoos who vandalize cars, it just might be. For you, sheltered away down on the coast well below the Volvo Line, these issues might not be as clear as they are for those who spend a good deal of time north of Augusta.
    I favor a North Woods National Park, impeaching Bush, Al Gore for President, and gun control. I know better than to slap bumperstickers saying so on the vehicle I leave at AT trailheads in Maine.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Sox fan would have used a rock.
    Why would a Sox fan use their head to break a car window??

Never mind. Their choice in baseball teams explains it all.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

should have seen that layup...

It is still May, so may I ask: How bout them Sox?

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post

It is still May, so may I ask: How bout them Sox?
    Sox fans are always insecure. So, since we don't know what tomorrow will bring, we enjoy today.

An EIGHT game lead!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Never mind. Their choice in baseball teams explains it all.
    Go Yankees, and take the Nets wit you! Or something like that...

I really wouldn't be talking about the Yanks too loud these days. But what do I know. I've been a Braves fan since the '60s.

Funny how a vandalism post turns into a Boston/New York discussion. . .

you dont know it was vandals do you? it may have been an accedent. respect for others personal property exists nomore. who just learned this?if if you even react to this story, your deniying real issues prayer. a peice of glass is broken. millions are starving. the two are worthy bookmarks on the limits of our range of careing. a more proper set would be from millions starving to one starving. there isnt time for glass. or vandals. just prayer and work now. must save lives. let the car go. you are killing everyone with it .
    matthewski

Smile I don't worry...

My best friend said that with the kind of cars that I drive, I could leave my car running in the worst part of town, come back a hour later and it would still be there, untouched.

I added that there would probably be a few dollar bills left on the seat by sympathetic passers-by.

Images

I was wondering how much detail to put in the opening post. I thought that someone from Whiteblaze might know who was hiking in that area. They may have been able to get in touch with the hikers.

I don't think the type of vehicle or where it's from really matters. It's just seeing this at the end of your hike that is a bummer. It seems from this board that this is not uncommon along the AT.

This was no accident. Someone had to stand on the trunk and stomp down on the glass. There was a hole roughly the shape of a foot.

I may try to post a photo here if I can.

Something similar to this happened at Caratunk last fall near the time of the Whiteblaze Gathering according to Steve Longley.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++