WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Best vitamins..?

Hi folks..

Thought I'd revive an older thread....

Are there any nutritionists, experienced athletes, or anyone in the know out there who would care to comment on the best general vitamin combinations or multi-vitamins for the trail..?

I know that we all have individual supplemental needs, but I’m curious about what best replaces what the average hiker burns off or sweats out.

-Thyroid
    Last edited by thyroid; 09-23-2003 at 00:54.

In my humble opinion you need at least C because it is hard to get enough fruits and vegetables and E because your skin takes a pounding.

Bear in mind only 10% of the vitamins you ingest are absorbed by the body.

Vitamin I - Ibuprofin. he he

ouch!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Obviously the vitamins and minerals in foods are the best option, but barring that, take any old multivitamin for active lifestyles. When engaged in serious activity I take two a day, one in the morning and another in the evening, so the vitamins that get flushed out of my system by my metabolism are replaced for the rest period when my body needs them for rebuilding.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

GAME 2000
    Images

What I take has changed as I try different concepts. When I did my thru-hike in 2000 I think I took a multiple vitamin, vitamin E, saw palmetto (for my prostate) & garlic. But there seemed to be something I was missing. About half way through I started taking a small can of Gatoraide powder and my body seemed to just crave it. I'm guessing I wasn't getting enough minerals.

If I were to go again I think I would take a wide-ranging multiple vitamin/mineral, calcium, magnesium, vitamins A & D, saw palmetto and maybe the garlic. I think the garlic MAY help a little with the bugs and it probably helps your immune system. I would also take Gatoraide powder and mix it with some type of protein powder. I know all of this adds up but I just consider it kinda like food... you don't want to go too light on nourishment.

Youngblood

Images

I took a Centrum multivitamin every night before going to bed. I usually chased it down with two ibuprofen. I don't think I really needed the vitamin I after the first month or so, but before then it helped with foot soreness.

++ New Posts ++