WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Looking for a backpack

Looking for advice on packs.

i want something under five (5) pounds and between 4,000 and 4,500 Cubic Square inches.

Internal Frame, and lots of pockets, i like pockets ...... & preferably 2 main compartments, one twice as big as the other.

any advice?

these have caught my eye, but i have yet to get to a store to try them on and play with em.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=5
    Makalu Pro Gregory

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=11
    Reality Gregory

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=10
    Forester Gregory

http://www.ems.com/products/product_...=1064258326178

EMS Long Trail II

Thanks
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

osprey aether 75, 4lb. very very nice pack.
    reality+forrester seem like the same design.

http://ospreypacks.com/aether75.html
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

Images

seeing you are in the UK try:

http://www.macpac.co.nz/catalogue/do...d,109/diid,27/

This is a hking pack. The Alpine packs are lighter so have a look at them.

Mongo

Images

The Forester is reputed to be a very good pack and was popular on the PCT this summer amongst internal frame users. I would err on the side of a smaller, rather than larger, pack. Of the packs you listed, the Reality is probably the way to go. Of course, you could get a MacPac, but then people might mistake you for some wanker Australian.

mongo, the guy lives in new york mate, not the uk.

chris, thanks for the wonderful sentiment. I sure wouldnt want to be mistaken for some wanker from the United Ce$$pit of AmeriKKKa

Images

No problem. Just trying to spread the love I have of Australians. Australians and Americans have to work together to keep up our fine image when travelling abroad.

Originally posted by MadAussieInLondon
    mongo, the guy lives in new york mate, not the uk.

chris, thanks for the wonderful sentiment. I sure wouldnt want to be mistaken for some wanker from the United Ce$$pit of AmeriKKKa
    Them's fightin' words.

Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Images

Default packs

Hey rob whats up man?
    I used a forester from Springer to Daleville and again from Glencliff to Katahdin, when i got tired of going ultra light lol. Its a solid pack and can carry 35-40 lbs comfortably. I think its 4500-5100 cu inches, but i dont use the top loader. That shaves off close to a pound. Its got a nice way of getting to your stuff without unpacking everything. Its also got a great sleeping bag compartment in the bottom. I think it retails for around 240 bucks. Might wanna check out Campmor for a deal. If you wanna carry a big pack i highly recommend this one.
    A-Train GAME03

Trail Dog

I have a Gregory Forester for sale if you're interested. Purchased Nov '02, still like new and available for $175 including postage/ Colr is blue and size is medium.

Sky Rider

Images

I love my gearskin, it meets almost all your requirements, except the frame part.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Hey Top,

Whats a gearskin? I might beable to live without the frame, saves weight anyway.

I'm starting to like the Forester. Anyone else use it much?
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Images

Take a look at:

http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgea.../gearskin.html

It is an interesting idea. I ran into an old man using one this weekend and he seemed happy with it.

Default Gearskin notes

I really like my Gearskin too.

See Sgt. Rock's site for some further information: http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html

a few items to note

1.) pack the Gearskin somewhat tall so as to permit the lifter straps to transfer the load to the hip belt and off of the shoulders

2.) balance the load from left to right also - not real critical but if you find the pack just isn't hanging right push some of the load from the side that is down toward the side that is up

3.) obviously use the compression straps to get all the stuff pushed together so that it acts as a single unit of load

4.) if you use water bottles stick them in the sides of the pack - they will be held in place by the lower two compression straps

5.) its real easy to get stuff out of the pack - just reach in from the side after releasing one of the compression straps

also note I switched from a large Forester to a Gearskin and saved at least 3.5 pounds - it was very noticable. I now use my Forester for lugging tools out to the trail when I am doing trail maintenance - still a good pack but I'll use my Gearskin for backpacking.

Anybody have a thousand miles on a Moonbow yet?

Hey do you use a pack cover on your gearskin or do you use a drybag or some other combination?

Does anyone have direct experience with the Osprey Aether 75 and the Gregory Forester?

They both appear to be good packs for the money, but for a few minor reasons I'm leaning towards the Osprey.

Just curious to see if anyone has any comments on why they might have chosen one over the other, or if they'd have chosen differently had they to do it over again.

Thanks.

only had my aether75 for a motnh. before that i had a lowe alipine pack.

i did check out the a64 vs a75. the 75 is a way better pack (for me). so far, very impressed with my a75.

Images

Default packs

I used the forester for 1100 miles on my thru this past year. A little curious as to why two people have asked if anyone has experienced using this pack when i posted about it..
    Anyway, between this pack and the aether 75 I'd pick the forester. Gregory, hands down, makes the best packs out there ask anyone. Their quality is second to none. Not always the lightest, but it will NOT fall apart on you as i've seen many other packs do (mountainsmith, go lite etc..) Most of the well respected outfitters on the AT sell gregs. I was able to switch out my old hip belt which was to big for a smaller one at mount rogers in damascus, free of charge.
    Many people used osprey this year and they are incresingly popular. They seem like well made packs and most were happy with them. I'd look at the 60 instead of 75 but thats up to you. Seems most folks are in the hunt for a big heavy bag and end up switching in the middle of their hike because theyve learned what to live without. It also depends on the time of yr you start. Starting march 1st, the forester was a good pick because it wasnt so heavy but still had room to hold all my winter gear and carry 38 lbs comfortably.
    For its size, the forester is a great pack.
    A-Train

Default Re: packs

Originally posted by A-Train
    A little curious as to why two people have asked if anyone has experienced using this pack when i posted about it.
    Perhaps my question wasn't clear -- I was curious to hear the thoughts of folks who might happen to have had direct experience with BOTH packs. I know the Forester is a good pack, and all reports are that the Aether 75 is a good pack as well. If they weren't, then choosing between them would be easy -- but each has a couple little features I like which the other doesn't; and THAT is what makes the choice difficult.

Did you ever have any trouble with that vinyl-covered nylon they use on the bottom of the pack? Did you make significant use of the access panel for stuff or was it more of a pain? In limited "wearing-around-the-store", the Forester's hipbelt almost felt like it was too stiff whereas the Aether 75's felt great right from the start -- did you notice anything like this and did it "break-in".

Thanks for your comments.

Images

Default question on pack suspension

Looking at the various packs out there, some have a much more padded waist belt than others. Is it better to have a slightly heavier pack with the more padded waist belt, or better to sacrifice some comfort and go with the lower pack weight? I know there are probably conflicting opinions, but I'd like to hear them anyway. I'm looking at getting a new pack also, and liked the look of the Osprey Crescent hip belt better than the Aether's. Whats your feeling on this?
    Greg P.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++