WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rip my gearlist to shreds please!

Please comment on my not so ultralight (12lbs) gearlist. I know I am going to hear about Aquamira, so how much would I use on my section from Salisbury, CT, to Katahdin? I am leaving June 1st. Its late at night, I may have forgotten something but I think this is it. Let me know if you think there is anything I don't need. I am also on somewhat of a tight budget. Thanks a bunch!

GoLite Pinnacle - 1lb 9oz
    Kelty Lightyear 45 - 1lb 12oz
    Hennesy Hyperlight Hammock - 1lb 8oz
    4 stakes - 2oz
    2/3 blue foam pad - 5 oz?
    Montbell Thermawrap Jacket - 8oz
    Marmot PreCip - 12oz
    Smartwool beanie - 3oz
    Terramar Boxers - 3.2oz
    1 pair Smartwool Socks
    1 pair Coolmax Liners
    2 cotton bandanas
    MSR Sweetwater - 11oz
    MSR Pocket Rocket w/ Titan Kettle - 7.5oz
    lexan spoon
    mini Bic lighter
    50ft Kelty Triptease + stuff sack
    Petzl Tikka Plus - 3oz
    maps for Mass to Maine
    compass
    small notebook for journal
    Pentax Optio digital camera + 2 extra lithium aa batteries
    3 1 liter gatorade bottles for water
    Swiss Army knife (Classic)
    3ft duct tape
    emergency blanket
    book of matches
    tooth brush
    dental floss
    6ft of single ply tp
    travel size toothpaste
    travel size hand sanitizer
    10 advil
    wallet with atm card, id, 2 calling cards, cash, etc

Stood less erect, and walked into the woods Flying Monkey's Avatar

I'm not an ultralight expert, but I think this doesn't look too bad as a safe pack. Some things I think you could certainly do without:
    Both a beanie and two bandanas. I would ditch the beanie honestly (though you could ditch one bandana instead). If your head gets cold, just wear both bandanas. They'll be warmer than a beanie.
    This next is a personal call: the sweetwater. Most people agree that it's too much weight, and go with aquamira or iodine. Personally, I would bring only a few iodine tablets for particuarily iffy water, and use my bandana to strain particles. Other than that, I tend to trust my immune system. The water up there is pretty decent, though I don't know about the 100-mile wilderness.
    I bring a knife, but many people don't. Consider if you're going to use it. Same with the journal. If you'll use it, great. Otherwise, dead weight.
    You can ditch the emergency blanket. Bring one in winter backcountry hiking, but trust the fates during the summer. If you get in trouble, you have your bag for warmth, and hammock for rain cover.
    Same with the compass. The trail is very hard to lose, and even harder to find again with a compass if you were able to get off it. I'm well trained with one, and never ever had a use for one.
    I'd also send the maps (and particuarily the books) ahead as needed.
    I'd also ditch 10-15' from your line, the end of your toothbrush, and the tent stakes. Trees, rocks or other items you have can work just as well.
    If you tend to make camp early, think about losing the hammock for at least part of your trip. Depending on traffic, and how far you hike, you could easily go most of the trip without using it.

Conversely, I'd add a pair to both socks, more advil, bugspray, and a small medkit(blister kit). That's mostly decided by your comfort level though.

Have fun, and the best!

Images

Pretty solid. Personally I would make a more inclusive first aid kit.

Images

Not a bad list. I don't see any leg covering? You might consider something if it gets cool at night, and to keep the bugs off. (Though maybe you are wearing pants to hike?) DEET would be useful in early June. I'd bring the warm hat, though my MH Microdome is lighter at one ounce. I'd also use Aqua Mira instead of any of the three filters I own. Easier and lighter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thumbs up

Looks good! as others have said

Ditch:
    1 bandana and the emergency blanket

I'd definitly add a extra pair of socks for thse long soaking cold rainy days there is nothing more comforting than a dry pair of socks to sleep in!!!! I'd also bring a light/silkweight pair of long-underware.

Oops!

I'd also ditch one gator aid bottle! If you have a few extra bucks a platapus waterbottle is nice to replace that third bottle because it'l fold up in your pack and is much lighter. you'll only need the extra watter at night for cooking at camp etc as there is plenty of water along the trail!! As for the Aqua mira you will probably only need at most two sets for your section and it is readily available along the trail! You might need to resuply the AM in gorham NH or in Rangley ME both places cary it. It costs about 12$. Only Six feet of tp? Three feet of duct tape? I find it interesting that you are bringing almost as much duct tape as tp, I'd either bring more tp, or just forget it alltogether. Actully I would bring lots more. especialy if your bringing instant refried beans .

Thanks guys! I think I am going to ditch the compass, emergency blanket, filter, the 3 gatorades swapped for 1 liter platys, and 1 bandana. I can get more tp in towns. Keep the suggestions coming. Is there any sleeping bag out there with a similar rating to the Kelty that is around 1lb and under $200?

Keep the compass, or at least take along a tiny keychain compass -- it needn't weigh more than a fraction of an ounce. It could save your a$$, you never know.

AT 2012

beautiful, admirable, wonderful list!!! maybe bring a straight razor in its cardboard sheath instead of the knife. didn't see hiking poles -- if you use them for walking, lose the stakes and use them for your hammock, too, or other trees or rocks. yes on the 1 liter platy, no on the second bandana. might consider a little longer foam pad when you lose the space blanket... your 45 degree sleeping bag won't keep you warm on the bottom... you might consider the HH undercover and keeping the emergency blanket and losing the foam pad.
    Lazarus

Dont' skimp on the TP, and get some baby @55 wipes.

Don't dare leave that Smartwool Beanie. It's one of my favorite pieces of clothing now. Cold at night? Put on your beanie. Cold starting out in the a.m.? Put on your beanie, then in ten minutes, after you warm up, stick it in your pocket, you don't have to stop to take off a jacket. Stop for a three-minute break, stick on your beanie. It's a very lightweight, easy way to regulate your body temp. You could also use it as a pot cozy.

You may want some earplugs. They weigh a couple of grams.

At least one pair of extra socks if not two. Socks so dirty they're crunchy are nasty to be around.

Why carry the calling cards? Just write down the numbers, including the customer service number. You can use a permanent Sharpie on tyvek to carry written info without worrying about it getting wet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
    Please comment on my not so ultralight (12lbs) gearlist. I know I am going to hear about Aquamira, so how much would I use on my section from Salisbury, CT, to Katahdin? I am leaving June 1st. Its late at night, I may have forgotten something but I think this is it. Let me know if you think there is anything I don't need. I am also on somewhat of a tight budget. Thanks a bunch!

GoLite Pinnacle - 1lb 9oz
    Kelty Lightyear 45 - 1lb 12oz
    Hennesy Hyperlight Hammock - 1lb 8oz
    4 stakes - 2oz
    2/3 blue foam pad - 5 oz?
    Montbell Thermawrap Jacket - 8oz
    Marmot PreCip - 12oz
    Smartwool beanie - 3oz
    Terramar Boxers - 3.2oz
    1 pair Smartwool Socks
    1 pair Coolmax Liners
    2 cotton bandanas
    MSR Sweetwater - 11oz
    MSR Pocket Rocket w/ Titan Kettle - 7.5oz
    lexan spoon
    mini Bic lighter
    50ft Kelty Triptease + stuff sack
    Petzl Tikka Plus - 3oz
    maps for Mass to Maine
    compass
    small notebook for journal
    Pentax Optio digital camera + 2 extra lithium aa batteries
    3 1 liter gatorade bottles for water
    Swiss Army knife (Classic)
    3ft duct tape
    emergency blanket
    book of matches
    tooth brush
    dental floss
    6ft of single ply tp
    travel size toothpaste
    travel size hand sanitizer
    10 advil
    wallet with atm card, id, 2 calling cards, cash, etc

trust me you will need more advil aka vitamin I .

Default "new style" ear plugs hit the AT!

Tater,

A pair of thrus showed us their version of ear plugs a few weeks back.
    One sock tucked under your head lamp strap over each ear. They seemed to work great, no one heard me snore all night!

TB

AT 2012

hey, hammock hangers don't need no stinkin snore-stoppin earplugs!!! think of all the weight saved!!!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by totally Boagus View Post
    Tater,

A pair of thrus showed us their version of ear plugs a few weeks back.
    One sock tucked under your head lamp strap over each ear. They seemed to work great, no one heard me snore all night!

TB
    Which makes an even stronger case for carrying an extra set of socks!

Thanks guys, I thought my gearlist would get knocked far worse. I am bringing hiking poles. My pot cozy, if you would call it that, is a 2 liter soda bottle cut down to a nice size. It compresses well and weighs almost nothing. Like Appalachian Tater said, I can use my beanie to augment that. I did not list what I will be wearing on me while hiking. I will be wearing a terramar t shirt, running shorts, terramar boxers, baseball cap, smartwool socks with liners, a watch, and new balance trail runners. I also forgot to mention two small items; a fingernail clipper and a pencil. Please keep the comments coming, I appreciate them very much. I would like to get down to 9 lbs base weight if possible.

Images

I would bring a warmer sleeping bag. About a 20 degree rating.

Panzer

ps:
    besides the lexan spoon I would aslo bring a lexan table knife. It is very useful for making sandwiches.
    You culd also bring more than "6ft of single ply tp". I would bring at least a half roll.

If you have a cigeratte lighter I don't think you would need the book of matches. mostly you will use the lighter to light your pocket rocket and all you will need is just a spark to do that. matches are just one more thing to have to keep keep dry.

I would bring the 2 bandanas. On a hot day I would be using one of them and the other one would be hanging on the pack drying. I guess it depends on how much you sweat.
    Last edited by Panzer1; 05-20-2007 at 14:14.

I'm gonna get hacked for this for sure.

My mom and I just finished hiking a small section of the AT. By small, I mean from Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap. We only found a small puddle of water on the entire trail. We asked a couple of the hikers that were local and they said that it was the best hope.
    Here in the southeast, we are in a severe drought that is only supposed to get worse. Therefore, from our experience of having to pump water from the ground. I would suggest at least carrying a pump filter to Virginia. Just in case.
    I am very serious about the puddle. It was five inches on a side and maybe an inch deep. It was fed very slowly. If we didn't have a pump we weren't getting water. We could always have packed a turkey baster but didn't know. Just my opinion.
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

No drought here in CT. There should be adequate water from here on up (I am starting in CT and finishing at Katahdin).

passionphish, i don't know that particular stretch, but if you get off the trail there's usually some little rivulet within a short walk of just about anywhere in the southern apps. If you're hiking ridgetops though, better get some before you go and camel-up too. Hopefully, one day I 'll get to hike that section, too.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Passionphish View Post
    I'm gonna get hacked for this for sure.

My mom and I just finished hiking a small section of the AT. By small, I mean from Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap. We only found a small puddle of water on the entire trail. We asked a couple of the hikers that were local and they said that it was the best hope.
    Here in the southeast, we are in a severe drought that is only supposed to get worse. Therefore, from our experience of having to pump water from the ground. I would suggest at least carrying a pump filter to Virginia. Just in case.
    I am very serious about the puddle. It was five inches on a side and maybe an inch deep. It was fed very slowly. If we didn't have a pump we weren't getting water. We could always have packed a turkey baster but didn't know. Just my opinion.
    Do not worry, you are correct in what you say...there are only 3 water sources on that stretch and 2 of them on the main trail are VERY minimum at best!! The other is 1.5 miles on the side trail to the shelter, which is great!

I have had to use VERY muddy water on that stretch many times when I camped on top of the mountain there.

Any other section of the GA trail has abundant sources of water to compare.
    However that is a short hike and just be prepared!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++