WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Packs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    ...The ENTIRE Damascus Police Department (from the Chief on down) was absolutely great all weekend, as well as the officers from other jurisdictions. Considering what these guys put up with every year, I think they used remarkable kindness, patience, and restraint...
    I'd also like to put in a plug (no pun intended) for the guys in the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department. I spent a few hours there Saturday night listening to some great live bluegrass and got to meet a few of their members and their Chief. They were very welcoming and open to us and I know from personal experience the long hours these volunteers put into protecting the lives and property of their fellow citizens. A great group of people who deserve our respect and appreciation. They really know how to make you feel at home.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    Before this discussion gets too far down a different road, we are asking individuals, or friends of these individuals, to send us information on the packs stolen. We would like to know approximately when (day and hour) the theft took place, approximately where in the campground or other area it took place, and the approximate value of the items stolen.

Also if other items were stolen, such as cameras (we know of at least three), please provide the same information.

We would like the trail name of the person who got robbed, but this is not necessary. This information will be confidential. If there seem to be duplications we will try to resolve these.

You may post here in this thread if you feel like it, or send me an e-mail at rswebsites @ gmail.com (please remove the spaces).

The town wishes to diminish this problem in future events, and your suggestions have been helpful, and will be discussed at our upcoming meetings.
    I think that information will be very helpfull in the future..........

Journal Entries
    Images

Geez, can ya just feel the love.

It's getting all warm and gooey here, lemme tell ya.

That being said, Warren is still a gutless moosecock who REALLY needs to trashtalk to people's faces once in awhile, and God knows he certainly had the chance this past weekend in Damascus. I ran into him across the street from the Outfitters, but he kinda scurried on down the sidewalk like a cockroach caught in a kitchen light......if he had something to say about me or any of my friends, it seems he didn't feel the need.....or had the ability .....to make his points in person, man to man.

Not his style, evidently.

And not exactly a surprise, either.
    Man, I am truly entertained with this mumbo jumbo from you, Nightwalker, and Yahtzee...........I needed some good humor..........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Not his style. More the look down his nose and get offended type.

But dang, if he doesn't know how to bait you! Don't you think that he does it on purpose just to get you going?
    I agree with that!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Trail Days has run it's course. It's gotten too big for it's britches. It's not about hikers or the AT anymore. It's about parking, theft control, carnivals, drunkenness, etc. The parade is out of hand too. I saw a woman on a horse get whacked by a big water balloon that didn't break. It startled the horse and you could tell she was hurt by it. I mentioned Hobocentral leading the hikers in the parade in 08 but have reconsidered.
    I think what you say has credence to it LW and that committee needs to hear it directly from you. You maybe an ass sometimes LW, but by golly your a smart ass.

I ain't saying that in a bad way either bro.............

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    I'd also like to put in a plug (no pun intended) for the guys in the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department. I spent a few hours there Saturday night listening to some great live bluegrass and got to meet a few of their members and their Chief. They were very welcoming and open to us and I know from personal experience the long hours these volunteers put into protecting the lives and property of their fellow citizens. A great group of people who deserve our respect and appreciation. They really know how to make you feel at home.
    that was a good band for sure................

may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

I haven’t read all the post but I know Hangman had his all his money taken from his wallet in Miss Janet’s van and a few other items were also taken from her van overnight Saturday. I myself think I was a bit complacent in regard to my gear because their had been so few problems in the woods. Some kind of storage might help but all in all I think compared to the real world the thefts better than it could have been unless you where one of the unlucky few.
    I also think speculation is not healthy and that the locals, especially the ones with badges are awesome. The vendors and police stepping up was above and beyond and I know others helped replace items the vendors didn’t have also.
    This was my first TD but not my last, I will remember it forever. I hope Damascus will welcome us for years to come and that a few thieves and fools don't tarnish what is so special for so many.
    Last edited by quicktoez; 05-24-2007 at 14:19.

Hey Terrapin, haven't heard from you in months.
    Nor I from you. It's been real nice. All things must pass...

prolly some old fagen dude somewhere like in the movie oliver twist. going over your gear with his sticky little meth fingers. i hope his next hit exsplodes his ass.
    matthewski

Default Internegators score!

After a long hiatus, the chief internegator emerges from the non-internet world and scores many repressed points (along with a few supporting teammates).

Internegators = 15

Team fkn ingrate; control freak; youth-hater; lost; shameful; godlike; scurrying cockroach; gutless moosecock; whining; frosted-ball; full of it (bile&blather); and bitter & self-pitying = 0 (obviously)

I guess they had a different 'word wall' in their classroom than I did.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default Holy crap!

Warren is channeling Matthewski, take cover!
    Yahtzee

Default Prohibition

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it's not illegal to make liquor. it's illegal to sell for profit.
    Just in case someone is thinking that they will make their own:
    http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

I think that it also illegal to own a still over 1 gal. capacity, and use of that is limited to uses other than spirit distillation. You can apply for a special license for fuel distillation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Warren is channeling Matthewski, take cover!
    Matthewski makes more sense.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Talking about stealing packs, Warren on a trivia team about the Appalachian

Trail. Why not just give him a pack and let the others play .......... for

whats left. I really think Warren should be a judge and oversee if the

answer is correct or not, you know, some of the gray areas. Had a great

time and Miss Janet was wonderful. 'OR' Place Jack up there and make it Family Fued

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Hello all. I am going to have to stop coming to this website because its too painful sometimes. I came on too see if any of the hikers whose packs were stolen needed gear, but of course someone named ''Local'' had to take a shot at Marines. (snipped)
    OK, Just a Hiker, my apologies for the misinterpretation here. I was trying to put some guilt on Wolf and get him to put his advice to good use locally. He is a wealth of information and has a clear perception of problems. I think there are only two or three people in Damascus who read whiteblaze, however.

And I'm not "taking a shot" at Marines. I'm a former Marine (1961-1967) and after my reserve service I spent time in Viet-Nam as a "civilian." I've worked with the military in the Middle East and other places. I regret you thought I was somehow knocking Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    D'Artagnan and others of you who have made positive comments about the police and fire department and local volunteers, I will print your comments and have them read at the next town council meeting. Your good remarks go a long way in encouraging people to work harder next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Local,
    I know one guy on TT who had his lantern stolen one night and his pack stolen the next night. I copied and pasted what you posted earlier about on TT. Hopefully he will contact you.

You know where we were camped at since you taped the area off. I heard the Riff-Raff group was a little upset that we had their place from last yr so they moved across the new bridge and camped on that side.

Ewker, thanks for this. We are aware that S*** had his pack stolen, and also his lantern. It seems someone was seen walking through the Trail Talk site and then was seen standing outside the site watching.

Concerning Riff-raff, I spoke to them personally and told them that we had given the site to another group because lask year they f cked up. This year they were a bit loud, of course, but left the cleanest campsite in the whole area. I also heard one of the Riff-raff crowd lecturing everyone about looking out for local kids who were trying to get alcohol, and how these kids should be thrown out of the campsite. Impressive.

Hey there Local! Its all good, and you don't need to apologize for anything. My mind set was on the most current problem which is that there are hikers out there without gear, and I wanted to help. I can appreciate the huge undertaking of organizing an event like Traildays. Good luck and Semper Fi!

Just Jim

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    OK, Just a Hiker, my apologies for the misinterpretation here. I was trying to put some guilt on Wolf and get him to put his advice to good use locally. He is a wealth of information and has a clear perception of problems. I think there are only two or three people in Damascus who read whiteblaze, however.

And I'm not "taking a shot" at Marines. I'm a former Marine (1961-1967) and after my reserve service I spent time in Viet-Nam as a "civilian." I've worked with the military in the Middle East and other places. I regret you thought I was somehow knocking Marines.
    Wolf definetly makes sense on this issue and I wish he would come around to getting involved..........

one of us may have captured the thief with the pack in hand. if a list was posted we could check our photoes witch may number in the tens of thousands. its worth a shot .
    matthewski

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++