WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen Packs

Default Stolen Packs

So my boyfriend (Mt. Dew) and I were camping at Trail Days in the parking area of tent city when our packs were stolen. They were leaning up against the outside of our tent while we were sleeping, and they were just gone in the morning. The police said that others had reported theirs missing as well. Does anyone know anyone else who lost one? Does anyone remember seeing anything like that on Saturday night? We're not realistically expecting to get them back, but if anyone's got any insight we'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Rainbow Brite

Images

a red headed hiker named "shawa" (not sure on that spelling but try pronouncing it) had his pack stolen as well, i was speaking to him sun morning and i only got bits and pieces but, it sounded like he didn't fall asleep near his stuff, and when he got there on sun, everything but his cooking stove was gone, that was sitting right where his stuff had been, he said his tarp had been set up and that was gone w/ his pack, he didn't know what he was going to do.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

A friend of mine had his pack and all the stuff he bought Sat stolen Sat night also. It was attached to a tree next to his hammock.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Good God. What the heck are they gonna do with the packs? Try to sell them or something? Maybe I should be looking for them on ebay? Its not like ppl havent been busted before for selling stolen stuff on ebay. I think a stinky pack and items in it that match the description of said stolen items would constitute some charges at least. Something? Ya think?
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Good God. What the heck are they gonna do with the packs? Try to sell them or something? Maybe I should be looking for them on ebay? Its not like ppl havent been busted before for selling stolen stuff on ebay. I think a stinky pack and items in it that match the description of said stolen items would constitute some charges at least. Something? Ya think?

This was my first TD and (correct me if I'm wrong, which obviously I am with what I'm about to say) I was under the impression that locals were not allowed in tent city, but I spotted a few, and one of them had nothing good to say about us. Despite the fact that he was 'cleaning up' with all of our empties.

Images

I dunno. I haven't been to one either. I can see why locals wouldn't be allowed though.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Don't forget that it's the "locals" that volunteer their time and their tax dollars to support Trail Days.
    Roland

Default why?

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    I dunno. I haven't been to one either. I can see why locals wouldn't be allowed though.
    and why shouldnt they be allowed, its thier town and they are the host for the week. when was the last time you went to a party and the host was not allowed to attend. come on man, what kind of logic is that.
    but i would like to know why you think the locals shouldnt be allowed?
    ha! damn glad your not on the traildays planning board. but then again your not a hiker or a local are you? so probably wont be seein much of you around town or the trail anyway.

Default what

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    This was my first TD and (correct me if I'm wrong, which obviously I am with what I'm about to say) I was under the impression that locals were not allowed in tent city, but I spotted a few, and one of them had nothing good to say about us. Despite the fact that he was 'cleaning up' with all of our empties.

where in the hell did you get that idea, ya smokin some wacky stuff man. locals aint allowed, get real! thier town, thier party for you, they are the hosts, so what ever gave you the idea they werent allowed. it is an open public gathering advertised nation wide man, who is not allowed?

Default amen

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Don't forget that it's the "locals" that volunteer their time and their tax dollars to support Trail Days.
    tell it like it is brother!!! wild that they would even think that way isnt it?

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    where in the hell did you get that idea, ya smokin some wacky stuff man. locals aint allowed, get real! thier town, thier party for you, they are the hosts, so what ever gave you the idea they werent allowed. it is an open public gathering advertised nation wide man, who is not allowed?
    i ain't never bin ta wonna dem parties but iffin yer aksin me eyed say dirtbag meth freaks wif sticky fingurs

Images

This is why I sleep with my pack in my tent with me...... No matter where I am.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

El Sordo
    Images

why would you automatically assume that the packs were stolen by locals? are you sure another hiker wasn't looking for an upgrade?

yeah mine was stolen as well. strange. don't know why hikers would want more gear to carry. it wasn't even a pack thats big enough to hike with.

Images

It just seems so wrong to think that other hikers would steal them. When they know how important a pack is to a hiker. But I guess maybe I try to see the good in all and not look at what people are capable of. It is impossible for hikers to lock their packs up while at trail days. Unless they find someone who will put their packs in their car for them. I came by car this year and set up a tent. But I kept things inside my car all day when not there. It seems so disturbing to think one has to worry about packs getting stolen when at trail days. Don't they realize that a hiker's pack is all he has for 2000 plus miles???
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body- but to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy cow, what a ride!"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    i ain't never bin ta wonna dem parties but iffin yer aksin me eyed say dirtbag meth freaks wif sticky fingurs
    Sounds as good as anything else. Legs, you gonna stand up for the meth-freaks? They might possibly be locals. I also like the idea they could be hikers. It's a shame these people lost their backpacks. I didn't see that coming.

legs, it was good to see you again at trail days. richard the can man was the local referenced here. hes cool. helped him gather cans and hit the motherload around the 2006 tent. he was cool to meet. as are all locals of all trail towns ,...cool. the can man showed up early and worked hard all day. at 4 oclock another can collector showed up and was bitching that " someone had beat him to it" as if he had a chance showing up so late. and as if hes a local. ha! not knowing the can man and being a can guy himself proves he was an outsider come to try to put richard the can king out of buizz. shame! and yes there were pack theives. but they were one. i watched as the dudes truck was robbed by this theif. i didnt react cause the theif had the same shape in the dark as baltimore jack who was to sleep in the dudes car that nite. as i cant see ***** in the nite, i thaught it was maby jack. but found out later it was the theif. hes a plump man slightly smaller than baltimore jack. hes white and has very short hair possibly balding a little or just a receding hairline. hes in his 40's and looks like a sneek. he knows hikers i belive and passes himself off as a volenteer and possibly a member of white blaze. i was sure who i saw and we confronted the person in stelth and decided we had no proof.
    matthewski

one thruhikers pack was completly replaced by one of the outfitters with excepitonal gear. the hiker was joyous in the end. i hope he posts his account of generosity. and i ask for prayers for the theif. praying can move mountains. lets pray one up his arss.
    matthewski

i left thousand of dollars and berb and gear all laying out as allways and couldnt catch one theif to skin. but if i had caught one, i would compose a beating team of, otto, jack, dude, mala, wolf, grey squirrle,gorrila, stumpy, attrol and me. we would probbubly stop beating for meals and pooping only. # one could be done whilst beating. also, if we drank to much while beating , we could puck en-beat.who would your beating team comprise?
    matthewski

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Glad Matt got a look at this fellow.

Last year we kept several thru's empty or nearly empty packs in our SUV after they had unpacked what they needed to camp after one person's pack was stolen.

While this would be a bit of a pain, those of us with cartop carriers might want to bring them to TD and make them available to thru's camping in our area for storage and lock them up at night. It would be darn-near impossible to carry one out with several people's gear inside and driving in would wake people up.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++