WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Like I said, no complaints against the BSA. Sounds like you had a good time that day/night. But herein points up a weakness I see with some hikers on AT. You are tied to the Shelters. Pack your own shelter (tent, tarp, hammock, etc.) and be free. -SunnyWalker
    To the extent that there is a "trail community," it exists at shelters and campsites on the trail.

I've had hikes where the woods were crowded and the shelters were full. That can be a drag, for sure.

But I've also had hikes where I'd go for a day, maybe two without seeing a soul on the trail, and spend night after night at empty shelters. That can get a bit lonely and weird after a while.

IMO, there's a happy medium somewhere in between those extremes. I carry a tent and am prepared to use it if the shelter's full, or if I simply don't care for the company. But sleeping night after night, alone in the woods... isn't my ideal hiking experience either.

I go to the trail to escape the rush, the competition, and the noise of "the real world." I don't necessarily go because I hate people. I rather enjoy their company, most times. Moderation in all things....

Journal Entries
    Images

Dear Terrapin Too: I see. Thanks. While I feel I have done a lot of backpacking I have never hiked the AT. Not yet. So your experience is valuable to me. I was talking to a new friend of mine who works for the State Govn't like I do, who is stationed in El Paso. He had lived right near the AT and on a weekly basis was on the trail. He told me the other day that I probably won't be alone much of the time while on the At. Interesting. Thanks. -SunnyWalker

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Dear Terrapin Too: I see. Thanks. While I feel I have done a lot of backpacking I have never hiked the AT. Not yet. So your experience is valuable to me. I was talking to a new friend of mine who works for the State Govn't like I do, who is stationed in El Paso. He had lived right near the AT and on a weekly basis was on the trail. He told me the other day that I probably won't be alone much of the time while on the At. Interesting. Thanks. -SunnyWalker
    There are lots of factors affecting "crowdedness" on the trail. The time of year, the time of week, the weather, the particular part of the trail you're talking about, etc. Furthermore, "crowdedness" is most likely to be noted at shelters and campsites, not while walking -- except on fabulous, popular bits of trail like the Franconia or Presidential ridges, or in the Smokies, or maybe Shenandoah National Park.

Journal Entries
    Images

this subject came up today as I was re-rading Walking the Appalachian Trail, by Larry Luxenberg. For the first time I am considering walking North to South. It seems that thee is not so many folk out going that direction. They suggested late May or June to beat the flies. -SunnyWalker
    Ps. Have you done a North to South?

It (SOBO) is the preferred method by most who have done it. Especially for the crowd problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    It (SOBO) is the preferred method by most who have done it. Especially for the crowd problem.
    Yeah, but we're weird.

SOBO Pride!

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Most boy scout leaders aren't experts and are putting in time to make life a little better for some young ones so I never complain. I'm usually not in the mood to deal with a troop so I avoid camping within earshot of them, but I do know that sometimes circumstances intervene and you don't have any more energy or daylight and you've suddenly reached your camp and there are 25 boy scouts. That's when it's time to put on a smile and make the best of it.

I almost never sleep in shelters (no one needs to hear me snore), but I like to camp near them for the evening banter with others. This spring I was in Georgia and that is the first time I encountered crowded shelters. It was unbelievable. I ended up just camping by a creek each night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think sometimes people doing the whole thing (either thru or section) get to feeling like we're REAL hikers and the rest of these people ought to appreciate the wonderfulness of our goal and defer to us. The simple fact is that the vast majority of hikers (and even miles logged) on the trail each year are just from day hikers and and overnighters. We're the exceptions...not the rule. Shelters were built on the trail before anyone even thought a thru-hike was possible so I don't think we should assume they're for us.

All that being said, I think the original post is okay. Expressing how you feel when end up in something like this is okay (you feel what you feel) and asking others how often it will be like that (knowledge is a good thing) seems okay to me.

The original poster didn't argue that anyone should have moved for them or that anyone was doing anything wrong.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

I would have eaten, filled my water and hiked another .2 or .5 and camped. Yes shelters are first come first serve. You answered your own question.

Images

It's not clear that the Scouts did anything other than set up tents in places that are for setting up tents; obviously, they could not be expected (or their leaders) to say to themselves, "I bet the Gumballs will be coming here, so we'd better leave a few sites for them." No. That's nonsense.

Similarly, while there is a practice among hikers that "There's always room for one more in the shelter," that's for bad weather times. There's no right to boot people out of shelters and even if it was Scouts using it, they are entitled to learn the pleasures (how few there are!) of sleeping on hard boards with mice running over them.

And, in passing, I recall the many times I've come to shelters and found a group of Scouts cleaning out the fire pits, picking litter or otherwise making the site better than when they got there. One blessed day, when I just needed a place to sit and eat, I came to a shelter with a huge, beautiful table....built by Scouts.

Jack Tarlin is right: The Trail is first-come, first served, and open to everyone. If that's a problem for someone, well, don't go.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

this thread is a year old....let it go...

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    make that two years old...

Images

Old is good. I'm old, and good. And I'm more than two years old. Physically, that is.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Typically, I plan to camp at any heavy traffic shelter. But I have gotten to shelters and school kids and scouts literally hogged up all the space. I know most hikers like to camp, but I don't want to hang around a shelter with 20 loud and annoying school kids all night.

I do love how some scout groups will split large groups up into a pack of 5 or so with a days difference between another group, or arrange both north/south hikes for each group. Then some scout groups won't hike a section when the thru-crowd is coming through.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Old is good. I'm old, and good. And I'm more than two years old. Physically, that is.

TW
    It has been said that " age and treachery will best youth and strength everytime". Go Mark Martin.

Didnt read all the posts but about the first ten and I have to say a few things... SPOT ON.

#1, bring a tent, and USE it. All a shelter is good for is mice, Mice = rattlesnakes...and bears..and dummies. Use a shelter as a nice lunch spot, and during absolute monsoons.

#2- Coming from an Eagle Scout, SHAME ON ON YOU BOY SCOUTS- Yours supposed to be learning, imo if your walking in 1-3 miles or so, you dont really deserve a shelter spot. And a BSA troop using a shelter pretty much trumps the whole full shleter thing. In other words, if your party is large enough to concume the whole shelter, be aware of that and if possible, bring tents.

#3- Learn to tent camp on the AT I have been for quite a while now, and it is a whole new experience...Shelters hurt my back..

#4- quit whining

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

make that two years old...
    five years now

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

It's come back from the grave again! Where's my garlic, crucifix, stake and maul?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    It's come back from the grave again! Where's my garlic, crucifix, stake and maul?
    This thread is so old that it actually predates the financial crisis.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This thread is so old that it actually predates the financial crisis.
    which one?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    which one?
    The one that killed my dream of thru hiking.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++