WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: barefoot hiker

Default barefoot hiker

T he ex marine from new york Ron z who is hiking the trail barefooted was at uncle johnnys tuesday. was on the news on tv, and a article in kingsport times news.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is from JC Press: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Deta...EPAGE&ID=59487. (I heard about the article from Mango). They didn't mention his trail name, but I believe it is Tyvek. I met him at Kincora just before Trail Days. Also, check out his webpage http://www.thelongwalkhome.org/index.php.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

If it is the same Tyvec he made it to Hot Springs in 2000. He was completly dressed in hand sewn tyvec and all his gear was made from Tyvec. He said he hadn't worn shoes in many years. His wife had gotten sick and left the trail and he was hiking alone. The word we all got was that he got a real bad cut on his foot and was off the trail by Mothers Day. There were three barefoot hikers that completed the trail in 2000. Badger who hiked with Warren Doyls's party and The Barefoot Sisters from Bar Harbor, Maine who went southbound. With the ice, snow, and Pa. rocks you gotta be one tough ba*tard to make it all the way barefoot.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

Yes that’s Tyvec and he is a SOBD, his web sight is thelongwalkhome.org and hikes to support veterans returning from war/service in regard to

"Tribute to Buddies Who Died in Vietnam and
    Effort to Call Attention to the Need for
    Effective Debriefing and Counseling Programs for Vets"
    quote from Tyvec ( Ronald C.J. Zaleski, [email protected])
    (all this info was given to me by him to share, make use of it)

Check out his sight and help the vets that need it when they get home.
    Spoke to him just South of Damascus, great guy!
    Photo taken 5/15/07 so he is back hiking although the article says he stopped 4/15/07?
    Attachment 1894
    Last edited by quicktoez; 06-02-2007 at 19:11.

Images

Here he is at Kincora just before Trail Days.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Default barefoot hiker

In 2000 I think his pack transformed into his tent.
    When I came home from Vietnam in "68" the VA absolutely sucked and they've been losing ground ever since. Since the VA was not serving the needs of the returning combat veterans the Vietnam Veterans started informal groups on their own. Those groups were great because they dealt directly with no bull what was bothering the vets. Not that the VA cared but they were charged with dealing with these matters and they were being left out of the loop. Vietnam Vets had effectively been driven away from the VA medical centers so the VA had to set up the Vet Centers as out reach centers. They were started with the lie that the Vet Centers were not associated with the VAMCs. They had to say that because Vietnam Vets wouldn't have had anything to do with them. They were started as informal drop in centers that were supposed to have a warm receptive environment to copy what the vets were doing. That environment faded over time as did the lie about the Vet Centers not being affiliated with the VAs. Now they've dropped their mask and they are overtly VA officious. Some Vet Centers even have you wait behind a line on the floor before they can approach a staff member to talk about anything. The Vet Centers are a long way from the informal effective groups they tried to copy. As a Vietnam combat veteran it is my opinion that the Vet Centers and the VA would be a bigger scandal than the tea pot dome scandal if the American people knew how little service they provide for the bucks they are given. The disservices that the VA system rendered to Vietnam Veterans is legendary.
    In my opinion we owe these fine young troops much better than the current VA system.

I saw Tyvek coming out of the fog on a rainy day with his white tyvek rain robe, a pointed white tyvek hat over his baseball cap and two HUGE walking sticks. I was startled for a moment thinking it was the KKK.

But, as it turns out it was just a nice older fellow walking barefoot from Maine to Georgia. He seemed like a real nice guy.
    Herb the gift, from the earth
    and what's from the earth is of the greatest worth
    So before you knock it, try it first
    and you'll see it's a blessing and it's not a curse

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by strnorm View Post
    T he ex marine from new york Ron z who is hiking the trail barefooted was at uncle johnnys tuesday. was on the news on tv, and a article in kingsport times news.

Yep, thats "TYVEK" (formerly "TYVEK MAN")
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

I got an email from one of his relatives recently that they were planning to have a celebration with him in Atlanta when he finished going SOBO later this summer. I dont have the details but probably they will be on his website.
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

++ New Posts ++