WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ion/StarLyte/Turbo Tea-Lite hybrid stove

It's been a while since I've designed a new stove and the bug bit me this afternoon.

This stove combines elements of the Ion, the StarLyte, and the Turbo Tea-Lite.

Here are the materials used:

Raw materials. (Wedding tin, standard .5" x 1.5" tea light tin, bottom of a V-8 can, plumber's cloth.

Partial assembly.

Finished stove.

Special features? It's very effecient. Using a Snow Peak 900 and 15 ML of denatured the stove boils two cups in 8:40 and continues to boil an additional 3:35.

Using the same setup, the stove boiled two cups with 12 ML of denatured and continued boiling for forty seconds.

Like the Starlyte, it is easy to light and comes to 'full bloom' almost immediately.

Lastly, the design eliminates the guess work of measuring fuel on the trail. Filling the stove to the top equals 15 ML, just like the Turbo Tea-Lite. If more alcohol is desired, just wait a few seconds for the initial fill to absorb and top it off.

I just need a shorter name for it.

Burn photo 1
    Burn photo2
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Skids,

Well done, as always

I'll have to try one.

Thanks!

-Todd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by toddhiker View Post
    Skids,

Well done, as always

I'll have to try one.

Thanks!

-Todd
    Let me know if you've got specific questions wrt the build. Have fun with it!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Off the wall question for you: I'm still playing around with that 10 g Kitten Stove you gave me, and have found that the stand fits neatly into a recess in the bottom of the two pots that come with the SnowPeak Three Piece Titanium set. IMHO that fit makes for better stability and makes it easier to get the pot centered on the stand.

Getting the same fit with your new set up and the 900 mL mug? If so, you may be closing in on a very interesting little set up.

Either way, I've got to second toddhiker: Nice work.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Off the wall question for you: I'm still playing around with that 10 g Kitten Stove you gave me, and have found that the stand fits neatly into a recess in the bottom of the two pots that come with the SnowPeak Three Piece Titanium set. IMHO that fit makes for better stability and makes it easier to get the pot centered on the stand.

Getting the same fit with your new set up and the 900 mL mug? If so, you may be closing in on a very interesting little set up.

Either way, I've got to second toddhiker: Nice work.
    No, the SP 900 doesn't have a recessed bottom, darn it. I can see how that would help with side to side stability though. Especially when stirring your food.
    Skids

Images

Okey doke. How about this:

If you're really interested I'll loan you my three piece set up and you can see if it's worth the expense of buying a $40 solo mess kit before you blow the cash. BTW, I think with a little fooling around it might be possible to get the stove set up to stow inside the kit. I'd give it a shot but I'm just not in your class when it comes to this kind of metal working/tin smithing/clog dancing.

Images

Correction: the stand fits inside the SnowPeak three piece set, nested inside an Ant-Gravity Gear style coffee cup. The fit is a bit tighter than I'd like though; I'm concerned the stand could get smashed.

Images

Correction: the stand fits inside the SnowPeak three piece set, nested inside an Ant-Gravity Gear style coffee cup. The fit is a bit tighter than I'd like though; I'm concerned the stand could get smashed.
    I can make one @ 1/8" smaller in diameter. Would that be small enough?

I still need to get that coffee-maker upgrade to you as well.

Right. Back to the thread. Anybody come up with a good name for this stove yet?
    Skids

Images

Height is the problem, not diameter. Prolly need to do a field test. Field test would also allow alcohol-induced brain storm session to name said creature as well, if you don't have a suitable moniker for it by then. Until then I suggest something along the lines of "flux capicitor."

Images

Height is the problem, not diameter. Prolly need to do a field test. Field test would also allow alcohol-induced brain storm session to name said creature as well, if you don't have a suitable moniker for it by then. Until then I suggest something along the lines of "flux capicitor."
    Height is a problem. Reducing the height will reduce max fuel capacity of that stove.

I've got a few ideas, though. Will a 1/4" reduction in height be sufficient?
    Skids

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    ... This stove combines elements of the Ion, the StarLyte, and the Turbo Tea-Lite. ...

I just need a shorter name for it.
    TITS stove.

Which stands for Turbo Ion Tealight Starlight stove. Obviously.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Skids, my bad, I wasn't very clear.

The problem isn't stove height, it's the stand that's got me concerned. If you could get a 1/4" reduction in total height the set up would be a dead bang with SnowPeak's three piece set and an Anti-Gravity insulated cup. Pretty specific to that particular mess kit and the way I cook, so it may or may not be worth your time to worry about it.

FWIW, I can get it packed for travel, but I'm worried that durability will be an issue. Once the stand has been folded and straightened a few times I think repeated heating will yield a stand that will be increasingly fragile; likely to get metal fatigue and corrosion at the fold lines. Not a problem for a section hiker who can replace it on a regular basis, but could be a royal PITA for a thru.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    TITS stove.

That's plain nasty. I like. I'd speculate what a larger version would be called, but this is a family site.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    TITS stove.

Uh huh.

Any positive feedback from other hikers would, naturally, be answered with, "Yeah! Ain't it the TITS!"
    Skids

Images

Skids, my bad, I wasn't very clear.

The problem isn't stove height, it's the stand that's got me concerned. If you could get a 1/4" reduction in total height the set up would be a dead bang with SnowPeak's three piece set and an Anti-Gravity insulated cup. Pretty specific to that particular mess kit and the way I cook, so it may or may not be worth your time to worry about it.

FWIW, I can get it packed for travel, but I'm worried that durability will be an issue. Once the stand has been folded and straightened a few times I think repeated heating will yield a stand that will be increasingly fragile; likely to get metal fatigue and corrosion at the fold lines. Not a problem for a section hiker who can replace it on a regular basis, but could be a royal PITA for a thru.
    Right! A 1 1/2" tall kitten stove with integrated stand that weighs 10 grams, holds an ounce of denat, and lasts for a thru-hike. What kind of design would you like for the centerhole*? I'm on the job!

* what's a Two Speed like like anyway?
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Right! A 1 1/2" tall kitten stove with integrated stand that weighs 10 grams, holds an ounce of denat, and lasts for a thru-hike. What kind of design would you like for the centerhole*? I'm on the job!
    Great! While you're at it, make sure it's durable enough to drive stakes into solid granite, and I want it anodized, too.
    * what's a Two Speed like like anyway?
    A stove that has two settings, obviously. We all know that this stove has to simmer too, don't we?

All kidding around aside, I got to looking at my cup, and got to wondering if there's a thinner insulation available. The stuff Anti-Gravity uses looks like the standard thickness, but if I can shave just a 1/16" I think the whole shebang will go together pretty neatly. Gotta drop by Big Lots and look around to see if I can find anything that could be cannibalized .

Images

Looks great Skids!!!!!

This is the burner part of your stove, tell us about the pot stand part of it. What material did you use to make it?

As for a name, call it Hybridized Ion. Looks like an Ion with added insulation.

Just for the heck of it remove the tea light tin and add more insulation/plumbers cloth and see what the diff is. I'd doit if I had some extra time. Interesting structure. Looks futuristic, nice lines. Keep up the good work.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Looks great Skids!!!!!

This is the burner part of your stove, tell us about the pot stand part of it. What material did you use to make it?
    It is made from a Budweiser aluminum bottle, which is the perfect diameter to fit in the bottom of a Heineken pot. Great lightweight stand. This one weighs five grams. Here's another photo.

This stove makes use of the Bud bottles as well.

It's turning out to be very durable with well over a hundred burns and 5-6 weekend trips on the trail. The first version only lasted about fifty burns and I'm pretty sure it's because I sanded the paint off. So leave the paint on everybody!

Just for the heck of it remove the tea light tin and add more insulation/plumbers cloth and see what the diff is. I'd doit if I had some extra time. Interesting structure. Looks futuristic, nice lines. Keep up the good work.
    Amazing. That's exactly one of the variations I had planned. I'll let everyone know if it turns out well.
    Skids

++ New Posts ++