WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gear List

Default Gear List

Here is a rough list of what I'm taking on the GA section hike on Oct 10-17. Plan on doing the AT from Springer Mountain to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek trail. Any help on getting my pack weight down or any suggestions would help.

Gregory Whitney Internal
    North Face Vapor Tent
    Kelty Lightyear 25 downbag
    Coleman Foam Pad
    Aquamira
    2 Gatoraid Bottles
    Alumn. Pot (1)
    Pot handle Holders
    Plastic Fork
    MSR Pocket Rocket
    Fuel Canister
    Nylon String
    TP
    Kodak Dig. Camra
    2 Bandannas
    Mole Skin
    Small Pocket Knife

2 Pair wool Socks
    One Pair Boxers
    One Tshirt to wear
    One Pair Shorts
    One Windbreaker Pants
    Longjohns
    One Fleece
    One Emg. Poncho -- no rainsuit

I think that is about it. I plan to carry 3 days of food then resupply. Then 3 more days- resupply and then out. I'm hoping to keep the pack weigth under 30-35 pounds with food and water. Is there anything I'm overlooking or need?

Yellow Jacket
    Images

First Aid kit,
    some sort of water scoop/cup to collect water from shallow streams (pour water across your badanna to remove the big chunks, then treat),
    Spoon? I see the fork, but no spoon? I take it there won't be any soups on this trip,
    fleece hat,
    gloves,
    pack cover,
    food bag,
    soap/hand cleaner
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

gloves, hat, wind jacket???

are you going into rainbow springs campground afterward..theyare going to be open until Nov. 1

where are you getting your resupply?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

You'll defninitely want the hat and gloves. If you have time, swing by a hardware store and get some earplugs. Very handy for sleeping in shelters with others around. You also forgot your flask of bourbon.

Thumbs up looking good

Looks good, mjhend24.

The only real way you could shave any significant weight would be to address your pack, tent and bag and go for lighter stuff, but you're looking at several hundred dollars there.. Gregory packs are very comfortable and sturdy, but that comes at a weight cost. I'm not familiar with the Whitney Internal but I'm guessing it probably weighs around 4.5 lb-- hopefully not much more. A silnylon tarp with a ground cloth or tarp-tent weighs about a pound to a pound and a half, and there are lighter bags and packs. You could also replace your canister stove with a soda-can type alcohol stove and save close to a pound there.. But I doubt you're going to want to run out and replace most of your gear for a section hike. I've got my 2004 thru-hike on my mind, so please forgive my focusing on weight. Your gear list looks solid with nothing fancy, and a pack weight of 33lbs with food and water quite respectable.

I'll be in the Roan Valley Highlands section of the AT OCT 15-20, and looking forward to hiking the balds. That part of the AT is getting some nice frosty hiking weather ATM, and I hope it hangs around for me.

Have a great hike, and pace yourself on all those ups and downs. GA is was tougher than I thought it would be, and the Kimsey Creek trail has some pretty strenuous parts-- not to mention bigfoot, diseased nascar-mutants, and alien sex-fiends..

Images

Default Suggestions on gear list

Here are my suggestions. They have worked well for me but we're all different.

Aluminum foil for a pot lid. It will help conserve fuel.
    Pot handle holders: I try not to carry any item that has only one use. Can't always do that but I try anyway.
    Plastic Fork: I never carry a fork only a spoon.
    Kodak Digital Camera: extra batteries?
    2 bandanas: Do you really need 2?
    Mole Skin: Duct tape has more uses.
    2 Pair wool Socks: Use one pair for gloves if needed.
    Longjohns: Probably won't need them while hiking, so are they to sleep in?

Some of these items have been mentioned already:
    Hat
    First Aid kit
    Food bag
    Flashlight
    Tooth brush / paste / floss
    Map or trail info
    Pack cover (you may be using the poncho for a cover)

Something to think about: Will one canister of fuel last for 6 or 7 days?
    Uncle Wayne

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Building on Uncle Wayne's response:

Use the aluminum foil pot lid as a pot holder.
    I carry a thick plastic spork (a spoon with small tines at the end)
    Don't forget the extra memory card for your camera.
    A small fuel canister should be more than sufficient for one person for 8 days, assuming you are primarily boiling water for breakfast and dinner. I use the small (110g?) SnoPeak isobutane canister.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Question

I usually use a bandana as a pot holder and the foil as the pot lid but I have never thought to use the foil as a pot holder - doesn't it get rather hot rather fast ?

I have a slightly unusual cookset so some things I have others would not but anyways I use a cozy and a ziplock to actually cook the food and only boil water in the pot. The pot I use is a chopped off 24 ounce beer can with an Ion stove (alcohol).

++ New Posts ++