WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

2 very light items you may want to substitute for those extra meals: powdered potato flakes,(high carb, good fuel lightweight food) and a Ramen or two (you may get sick of your snacks and appreciate hot soup on a rainy day)
    I agree you may not have the huge appetite of the NOBO hikers unless you have been training hard in which case you will probably move faster.
    Have fun. sounds like you are planning it well and will eat better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    I don't believe that White House landing accepts mail drops.
    No maildrops at WHL anymore.

TJ < ALDHA Companion guy for the 100 Mile
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default 100 mile wilderness food

I have this theory that works like this; the lighter the pack the more smiles on the face.

I try to never carry more than three days food. If it's a long stretch I throw in some extra ramens. Having said all that by the time I got to the 100 mile wilderness the temps were cool so I carried loaves of bread, ham and a squeeze bottle of mustard. I had gotten so sick of eating trail food I carried real food.

You've already gotten enough alternatives to carrying so much food. Have a great hike.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBob View Post
    Or the Hebrews who spent 40 years in the wilderness.
    Man, the Hebrews were slow hikers. How much food did they carry? And is Ramen kosher?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Wilderness Food Supply

During my 2001 thru I did the 100 mile wilderness SOBO. I sent a mail drop to White House Landing with 5 days worth of food. When I called about a mail drop they said they would except it if I was going to spend the night.
    I thought that the folks that run it were nice and yes, they do run it as a business. That is they have to make money from the hikers. I expected exactly what I got. You can take what they offer and be greatfull that they are there for hikers. No one else is where they are located.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Default Supply options/places change

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    During my 2001 thru I did the 100 mile wilderness SOBO. I sent a mail drop to White House Landing with 5 days worth of food. When I called about a mail drop they said they would except it if I was going to spend the night.
    I thought that the folks that run it were nice and yes, they do run it as a business. That is they have to make money from the hikers. I expected exactly what I got. You can take what they offer and be greatfull that they are there for hikers. No one else is where they are located.

Please....Some of you guys/gals shouldn't be posting OLD information. Listen to TJ and read your trail guide/companion, he keeps stuff up to date on here on a regular basis. A lot of stuff has changed since 2001.....
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

i was at white house last year in the monsons.. they had just opened for the season they now go south for the winters they are expensive but the food is good and the shelter and shower great

Images

Last year I carried 8 days of food when I started SOBO. I stopped at WHL, ate supper and breakfast there, but did not buy resupply food. (Had I known ahead of time what they carry, I would have bought some things there.) The eight days did not include food for the day I climbed Katahdin.

I planned my food by laying it all out on a table, arranged day by day, one breakfast, one dinner, and a number of snacks (energy bars and candy). I added up calories, making sure I had 3000/day. (I am female and over 50, so I don't need as much food as most young men do.) Each day's food went into a separate gallon bag so I wouldn't eat up more than one day's supply per day.

I think you're wise to plan for a slow trip through the Wilderness. A number of the young men who started about the same time I did ended up running out of food because they thought they'd get through faster than they did, for one reason or another, or because they underestimated how much they'd need to eat each day. If you don't want to use the calorie-count method the way I did, the weight method (1.5 pounds per day) should work for you.

Best wishes for a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Somewhere between Monroe NC and Dinwiddie VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Man, the Hebrews were slow hikers. How much food did they carry? And is Ramen kosher?
    Don't know, but you can pack a whole lot of matza!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Knowing Hammock Engineer and the research and planning that have gone into his hike, I believe he knows what he needs to carry. Marta definitely knows what to carry going southbound. Listen to them.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Thanks, a lot of it to is that I have trouble hiking hungry. So I am planning a little extra. I loaded up my pack and added 15 lbs of water weight to simulate food and went for a day hike. Man it's been awhile since my pack would not register on my 35 lbs max scale. Probibly pushing 38+ with half a day's water.

I am also thinking about what I can do without for the first part. I am going to go with a lighter ccp (only use it as backup insulation and a frame for my pack. Camp shoes and book are also getting put in the Monson mail drop. Thinking about putting the long sleeve sleeping shirt in there and just use my 100 wt fleece to sleep in at night. I am going to lay out everything I am taking and see what else I can do without or make do without for the first section.

Sauntering vaugely southward ozt42's Avatar

I'm going south from Abol Bridge in a couple of weeks and I'm planning 10-11 days to Monson. I'm bringing my teenager along who has never hiked overnight before so I'm planning on a slow trip with lots of fishing and low milage days. This is the heaviest I've ever packed and I've got about 12 days worth of food.

AT 2012

If you can leave a car with resupply food midway somewhere, does it work to leave it at white house landing, or is there a logging road that would work? or is it likely the car will be trashed? or should i just suck it up and carry a week's worth of food?
    Lazarus

Images

Default food resupply

Quote Originally Posted by stevenleelazarus View Post
    If you can leave a car with resupply food midway somewhere, does it work to leave it at white house landing, or is there a logging road that would work? or is it likely the car will be trashed? or should i just suck it up and carry a week's worth of food?
    Don't plan to leave a car anywhere near WHLanding. Can't get there by car. Don't plan to leave a car midway on a dirt road and expect it to be --(1)-there when you get back and (2)- in the same condition you left it in!
    I do food drops at Cooper Brook for hikers voluntarily. e-mail me at [email protected] if I can be of help.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

[quote=Jester2000;370083]Were they unhappy people generally? Your third sentence should have read, "expect the cost of resupply to be significantly more than it would if you were standing in a grocery store in a town." What you think it "should" cost bears little relationship to the actual cost, which is mainly determined, I would think, by the fact that A) the owners have to haul in all supplies and B) there is zero competition selling what you might want or need.

I stayed at the WHL in 04 and absolutly loved it! The burgers rocked! they sold me enough food to keep going the last few miles of the trail with a full belly, and there hiker box was a goldmine! I also had a wonderfull day swimming off their boat dock and lying in the sun! The owners went way out off their way to treat you like royalty! I found thier storys relaxing and enjoyable. Having said this A number of my fellow thrus had an awfull expieriance there and thought the oqners were very rude. It seems the diference between the two groups is the overnight stay. Come just for the maildrop they might be rude? I'm not sure since I only expierianced good from them. I cant blame them though.... think about it... you run a lodge and twice or three times a day you here this horn, you drive the boat accross the lake to find some smelly person who just wants thier mail and free food from the hiker box... I might be rude too.

My recomendation, folow B Jacks advice don't bring so much grub. 12 dinners will just wiegh you down and make you trip less enjoyable. enjoy the 100 miles and definitly go swimming and stay the night at ther White hose landing
    Enjoy your hike!!!

Images

Another reason that someone might not like it at WHL is if they blow the horn more than once. Even if you wait 30 minutes, the guy just doesn't like that. At all.

us real backpackers back in the day didn't need slacks, resupplies or lodging in the "100 mile wildness". it was scary though! y'all are weenies these days. crissakes. suck it up and carry your chow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    us real backpackers back in the day didn't need slacks, resupplies or lodging in the "100 mile wildness". it was scary though! y'all are weenies these days. crissakes. suck it up and carry your chow.
    Careful. Somebody will call you Wambo again.

I did like his knife, though.

I'll also say that I'm glad that I did the 100-mile SB. It was nice doing the flat parts heavy and the steep parts light!

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Careful. Somebody will call you Wambo again.

I did like his knife, though.

I'll also say that I'm glad that I did the 100-mile SB. It was nice doing the flat parts heavy and the steep parts light!

now that's getting kinky frank,,you'll get LW all excited agin
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Pretty soon you will say that you did not have people throwing free food at you everywhere. Oh wait, don't think I will have that problem SOBO. Kind of like it that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++