WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Pretty soon you will say that you did not have people throwing free food at you everywhere. Oh wait, don't think I will have that problem SOBO. Kind of like it that way.
    i SOBOd in 98. carried my own s**t. always have. never slackpacked or had food delivered in 16,000 miles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    now that's getting kinky frank,,you'll get LW all excited agin
    I've got no idea why he fusses at me, but gets all huffy when I fuss at him. Makes no sense.

He's too smart to be a hypocrite, and he just plays dumb on the internet. If you figger it out, please let me know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i SOBOd in 98. carried my own s**t. always have. never slackpacked or had food delivered in 16,000 miles.
    Hey, I didn't re-supply at WHL. If I had it to do over again, though, I would have. That pack was freaking HEAVY leaving Baxter.

I've yet to slack, but I'm not saying that I won't ever do it. It might be fun.

Hey, fella, I'm slowly catching up with you. If I can manage to quit these stupid medical problems, I'll roll over 6,000 next year somewhere in the Spring. I plan on being one of those old suckers that just never stops. I plan on dying out there instead of in some stupid nursing home. Of course, I don't get the final say...

I may have came to the party late, at 36, but I've been having some real fun since.

Images

I seem to remember that you're against organized trail magic as well. Which is what I think Hammock Engineer was talking about. Who knows.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I seem to remember that you're against organized trail magic as well. Which is what I think Hammock Engineer was talking about. Who knows.
    That's what I was getting at. I will be the first to say that I have not thru'ed yet. I leave SOBO in a few weeks. But I also don't really care for all of the organized feeds. I don't think I would turn it down if I came across it and I would think the people putting it on, but I think the trail would be a better place without it.

At least for me it takes away from the independence part of it. And again though, I am not really planning on seeing much of it going SOBO which is fine with me.

Images

I think the trail would be a better place without it.
    It slows me up when I don't wanna be, usually. It seems impolite to take the goodies and not talk to 'em awhile, when I'd really rather be going up the next hill.

Sorry for not posting was out of town on business. Thanks for all the info! See you out there.

. . .But I also don't really care for all of the organized feeds. I don't think I would turn it down if I came across it and I would thank the people putting it on, but I think the trail would be a better place without it.

At least for me it takes away from the independence part of it. And again though, I am not really planning on seeing much of it going SOBO which is fine with me.
    For right now you're offering opinions on what you think you might do, and how you feel about something you've never experienced. You may discover that your (currently) uninformed opinions are dead on. But one of the reasons I don't often write about how I feel about what goes on at Mt. Everest is that I know that I would be speaking from a point of view based in ignorance.

Before I got on the trail I thought my hike was going to be about self-reliance and independence. Once I was out there, I realized that someone else built the trail, other people maintained it, some towns were easier to get to when someone pulled over and gave me a ride, other hikers were nice enough not to mess with my stuff, locals were helpful when I needed directions or even a place to stay, and that, in fact, even if you never slacked or got a food drop, you were never actually independent, although it was nice to think that you were.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

But I also don't really care for all of the organized feeds. I don't think I would turn it down if I came across it and I would think the people putting it on, but I think the trail would be a better place without it.
    i've turned them down many times. feeds are a dime a dozen anymore. there's nothing magical or special. everybody knows about them days or weeks before

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    For right now you're offering opinions on what you think you might do, and how you feel about something you've never experienced. You may discover that your (currently) uninformed opinions are dead on. But one of the reasons I don't often write about how I feel about what goes on at Mt. Everest is that I know that I would be speaking from a point of view based in ignorance.

Before I got on the trail I thought my hike was going to be about self-reliance and independence. Once I was out there, I realized that someone else built the trail, other people maintained it, some towns were easier to get to when someone pulled over and gave me a ride, other hikers were nice enough not to mess with my stuff, locals were helpful when I needed directions or even a place to stay, and that, in fact, even if you never slacked or got a food drop, you were never actually independent, although it was nice to think that you were.

Yeah I try not too. But I get caught up in cyber hiking. That's why I wanted to make sure that I said that I haven't hiked yet.

You make a good point though on self relience. There is only so far you can get. I guess some though get farther than others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++