WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tarp tents, which one?

So I am home resting my knees for a bit and before I head back out,
    I want to lighten my load. I am ready to switch to a trap tent from my hammock system. I am looking at the Outdoor Reasearch Nighthaven. 2 lbs 5 oz with a mesh door. I have a thing about the bugs.
    any other recomendations? g
    ood or bad about the OR one?
    the mesh/bug net is an important factor. floors, not as much.
    before washing your jeans shorts, pre-treat by throwing them away.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Take a look at the Lunar Solo-e from Six Moon Designs:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

That will get you down to 23 ounces and include a floor and bug netting.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Henry Shires makes great products and has excellent service. You can hardly go wrong with one of his tarptents.

Whatever model you choose, of whatever brand you choose, I would go for a sewn-in floor. Otherwise stuff will creep in under the netting, and (worse) your little items (earrings--well maybe that's not an issue for you, pen, headlamp...) might slide out and get lost in the leaves. A silnylon floor is frequently lighter in weight than anything you'd use as a groundcloth for a floorless tent, too.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I've had a Squall Tarptent for three years and like it very much. That said, I ordered a Rainbow Tarptent in mid-April and it still hasn't been delivered. I've emailed twice (no response) and called twice, each call met with the response that they are having "production problems" and that he'll call me "tomorrow" to let me know where things stand (I never got a return call).

Still, I like Tarptent, but if you order, I'd strongly suggest that you make sure that what you want is in stock unless, of course, you don't mind waiting several months.

Friend of mine thru-hiking right now did the exact same thing, sent the Hammock system home.

I've used the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo and Lunar duo extensively. I highly recommend the Lunar Solo, light weight and pretty bomber.

Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow.

I am surprised to hear that John B is having customer service problems with Henry Shires, that's a first. No doubt he'll be along shortly to post a response here as he has answered questions in the past.

Images

I went with a Shire's Cloudburst 2 with a sewn-in floor. It's a little overkill for a solo but I enjoy the room and the weight difference was minimal. (For me anyway. )
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am using the AntiGravityGear 10ft size tarp tent. It is roomy, and can squeeze both me and my kid into it. It weighs around 19 ounces with the splashguard/privacy shield. So under 1 1/2 lbs even with stakes. Fully sewn in floor as well.

I met Henry this spring at the PCTA Trails Fest here in Seattle. Nice guy! Someday I will have a Rainbow!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I have the Rainbow with a sewn in floor and cannot say enough great things about the tent and Henry Shires. I received the tent ahead of time and have been happy ever since. I also bought one for my nephew in the Marine Corp and Mr. Shires took extra great care of him.
    I would recommend in a minute. Light, roomy, and very comfortable.

For really light weight check out the Shires Tarp tent Contrail..

thanks, i will take a look at the shires tarp tent. some of th efolks i hav ebeen hiking with have the cloudburst2, they are a couple and have 2 dogs, and they love it.
    I played around with what I already have today and think it will work. I have a Maccat deluxe tarp and the ENO bug net. I set up the tarp on the ground, it looks like a tent with open ends ( one end can be staked down so it is like a triangle) then the bug net can hang from both trekking poles and I can just climb in and zip it up.
    Thanks for the advice.

pt

BTW, how's your new companion?

Images

Hi Jette,
    Hope that knee is improving. I got off the trail at Catawba, family reasons. I have a Squall and love my tarp tent. You can't go wrong with Henry Shires. Every time I called he answered the phone and always gave top notch customer service.
    It was great meeting you on the trail. Hope you can get back out there soon.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

hey there red - great to meet you too. sorry i was in such bad shape that nite. seems funny. my knees seem to be hurting more now that i am resting them and paying attn to em. I am bored sitting around and can't wait to get going again, hopefully next week some time. but I am getting some fishing done.
    sorry that you had to get off early, hope everything is ok.

as for the tarp, i am going with what i have right now for now, also going to make my own end for the A-frame set up, similar to the Grantite Gear dodger, i just ordered the silnylon and will sew away this weekend.

pt

++ New Posts ++