WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Week long training hike on the AT

I'm testing my body and gear for a 2009 Thru hike of the AT. What section of the AT would be recommended for a week long hike? Probably 7/8 Days and do 8-12 miles a day. I live near Baltimore MD and have hiked many miles around SNP. I was thinking of starting or ending in Hot Springs, NC. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billslade View Post
    I'm testing my body and gear for a 2009 Thru hike of the AT. What section of the AT would be recommended for a week long hike? Probably 7/8 Days and do 8-12 miles a day. I live near Baltimore MD and have hiked many miles around SNP. I was thinking of starting or ending in Hot Springs, NC. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

this may be a little long, but the section between 19e in Roan Mtn, TN to Hot Springs is gorgous. Lots of Balds and ups and downs. You could resupply in Erwin. It's 115 miles. Photos are in my gallery

Images

Default Preparation hike

North Adams MA to Killington Vermont. You'll get your AT experience and complete a little more than 1/3 of The Long Trail. It is roughly 100 miles. My trail journal from 2005 has details. Happy hiking!

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

you don't need a "training" hike. just go to georgia in 2 years and do it.

come down to Roanoke, troutdale, actually, the trail crosses i81 and rt 220, head south and enjoy tinker's cliff, McAfee knob, Dragon's Tooth and plenty of other interesting climbs and views. I'll help you with a car drop off if need be...and when you come thru later, I'll help you yellow blaze past this section if you want....

K

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1n the Sun View Post
    and when you come thru later, I'll help you yellow blaze past this section if you want....

K

that's the thru-hiking spirit!

Default Hike the Whites

The amount of time is perfect to hike the entire AT in the White Mountains. With the up and down of the peaks , it will be a true test of your endurance. In other words , if you can handle that part of the AT, then you are in fine shape for the journey. Most of making the thru hike is between your ears not your body!

Quote Originally Posted by sixhusbands View Post
    Most of making the thru hike is between your ears not your body!
    that's why he doesn't need any practice hike

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    this may be a little long, but the section between 19e in Roan Mtn, TN to Hot Springs is gorgous. Lots of Balds and ups and downs. You could resupply in Erwin. It's 115 miles. Photos are in my gallery

We're doing that exact hike in late July. I love that area, but don't park your car on 19E whatever you do.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 1n the Sun View Post
    come down to Roanoke, troutdale, actually, the trail crosses i81 and rt 220, head south and enjoy tinker's cliff, McAfee knob, Dragon's Tooth and plenty of other interesting climbs and views. I'll help you with a car drop off if need be...and when you come thru later, I'll help you yellow blaze past this section if you want....

K
    Thanks – I appreciate the offer! My Sister lives in Daleville and my parents live in Hardy. I have day hiked a lot of the AT in the area and it is very nice. I even gave a Thru hiker a ride to the PO in Troutville. Pretty exciting as it was my first time picking up a hitchhiker.

Default Thanks!

I understand that most of completing a Thru hike is mental. But I broke my ankle five years ago and still worry that it will give me problems. I have been out on many three day trips and have been ok. Just got back from Cranberry Wilderness in WV - What a beautiful place!

So I want to push it more and go for a week long trip. Thanks for all the suggestions!

++ New Posts ++