WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Great Hammock Hanging Campsites

Do you have a great hammock hanging site or shelter area on The Trail? and might as well do sites that we hangers should avoid. I know alot of the old shelters are too small to hang up in.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Default It happened one night

I didnt want to stay near the Eagles Nest shelter in Pennsy - too many shelter rats and too many mosquitos. So I continued south about a mile and saw a small campfire site 100' off the right of the Trail. I was tired and bedded down in my hammock. I woke up in the morning and found I was in a big blueberry patch! Boy did that make my breakfast. it wasn't a good tent site and sure beat the rat's nests.

Default hammock campsites

I know, all you hammock campers don't want anyone else to know your hidden hammock spots!

It's more a matter of there being WAY too many spots to list because of the freedom of choice that a hammock brings.

Favorite spots for a hammock? Wherever I happen to be that looks good at the end of the day.

That's the magic of hammock camping... it really is a lot more than just a tent you hang between two trees, it's a different way of hiking/camping, a different mindset.

How so? Freedom of designated sites? Ability to stop anywhere and hang? Don't like ground pounders? It's cool to swing in the brezze? How so?
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Not sure I understand the message...

Freedom of site choice -- doesn't have to be level, flat, etc. Pretty much stop wherever looks good and hang.

Different from tent camping. You can't "take all your stuff inside with you" like you can with many tents. Hammock is more a place to sleep, sort of like a bivy strung between two trees than it is a place to hang out. Way more comfortable than I've ever been on the ground.

No superiority cr*p from me, do whatever works best for ya. But I'm definitely a hammock convert.

I only have about 200 miles of the AT under my belt, but it represents samples from NC, TN, VA, and NH. I have only found one place that did not have a nice hammock campsite at least once a mile... that was the grasslands of Grayson Highlands. Even there, there would have been places to hang from rocks if it were legal.

Risk
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

++ New Posts ++