WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to break out the map when I get home late tonight. I will be sobo though. Which means the worst part about the route you suggested is I may have to hike the same section sobo a second time. I can live with that. I can think about worse ways to spend 1-2 extra days.
    Ah! Rather than go down Mt. Libertry and the AT, continue along the Franconina ridge to Mt. Flume, go DOWN Mt. Flume (Good luck and God bless!) and rejoin with the AT. The area is very well signed, so you should have no problem joining up again with the AT. I forget if the ATC maps show this alternate or not. Or, as you said, you get to spend an extra day or two in the Whites. Not the worse thing in the world.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Ah! Rather than go down Mt. Libertry and the AT, continue along the Franconina ridge to Mt. Flume, go DOWN Mt. Flume (Good luck and God bless!) and rejoin with the AT. The area is very well signed, so you should have no problem joining up again with the AT. I forget if the ATC maps show this alternate or not. Or, as you said, you get to spend an extra day or two in the Whites. Not the worse thing in the world.

Thanks. But based on what I am reading on this I don't think that I want to try to go down it. At least at where my current skill level with hiking is. Now all I have to do is talk someone into doing this with me. I'll have to talk it up to who ever I end up hiking around and see how bites.

American Idiot
    Images

Here's another news link with video: http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/loc...164095033.html

Highway 6 was closed, lol.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    But based on what I am reading on this I don't think that I want to try to go down it.
    Smart man! When I did this trail ten years ago, I remember very faint blue blazes, grabbing trees and giving thanks it was not raining. I would NOT want to downclimb this area. But, I an admitted wimp.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

d) TFK hurt himself (It is almost ALWAYS a dude. Women seem to be smarter. )
    It's relative to the amount of men on the trail vs women.

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    It's relative to the amount of men on the trail vs women.

Maybe. I still think us guys are more likely to do something stupid in terms of the backcountry than women. Call it testosterone poisining.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Maybe. I still think us guys are more likely to do something stupid in terms of the backcountry than women. Call it testosterone poisining.
    Indeed, but maybe it's just HAVING BALLS! hehe, those things can get you into a lot of trouble, in more ways than one.

Indeed, but maybe it's just HAVING BALLS! hehe, those things can get you into a lot of trouble, in more ways than one.
    On my hike of the Ring The Peak trail, my buddies and saw a sport ute that was trapped there since winter. Apparently this happens in the area every year. Perhaps it takes some cajones to go off-roading in winter in a stock SUV.

I'd just hate to see the dude explain to his significant other why his SUV is trapped in the mountains. Until th epond dries up, it will be there until bout mid August I estimate. Maybe it was a lady who left it there. I doubt it.

My grandfather taught me what it was to be a man: Work hard, do your best for the people you love, always keep your word.

He said nothing about doing things I was not prepared for or did not have the knowledge to do.

Perhaps I don't have big ones. Fine by me.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

My Dad's Father in-law from a new marriage gave me these words of 'wisdom'... "Find out if she has money..... THEN fall in love with her".
    I said "money isn't everything Ed", "Ya but it helps".

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

My Dad's Father in-law from a new marriage gave me these words of 'wisdom'... "Find out if she has money..... THEN fall in love with her".
    I said "money isn't everything Ed", "Ya but it helps".
    better yet find out if her mom owns a fishing lodge in AK..hhehe
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

It would be ok by me if they ran my credit card number before the rescue.

The trouble would be if they called my wife to verify the charge.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Geezer

Only if you confuse them with your brains

But again, this is just as Mags said, most of the fools that get into trouble are men.

For one thing, I've never heard a woman say, "Wanna see something really cool? Here, hold my beer a minute." Those words almost always indicate something stupid is about to occur.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    For one thing, I've never heard a woman say, "Wanna see something really cool? Here, hold my beer a minute." Those words almost always indicate something stupid is about to occur.
    Yeah, like a video camera needs to be on lol!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    "Here, hold my beer a minute."
    Those words should be synonymous with "oh, while you're at it, go ahead and call 9-1-1!"
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Images

If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.
    I'm just guessing that's because they know that most private health insurance plans would cover that portion of the expense. Assuming the victim has health insurance.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    On the other hand.....a good number of helicopter rescues on the volcanoes are "assisted" by the Navy from NAS Whidbey or similar military operations. And I'll say this: being rescued by the military is about one notch over dying on a glacier. They are brutal, fast and efficent and use you for training purposes
    Better than dying, but you won't get any 5 star treatment. About the same if you get rescued by the Coast Guard!
    Sorry about the customer service. I'll get with my buddies up there and make sure they're nicer to the next fool they pluck off the side of a mountain...

in 1991, i was hiking the JMT with my buddy Chooch (AT 89) and he broke his ankle in the middle of the hike. He got helocoptered out and it cost him around $450.00 i believe. They charged him from the time they picked him up, until we got to the hospital in Bishop which was only 15 minutes. But it took the helicopter 40 minutes to get there (they came from the west) but they didn't charge him until they picked him up.
    His health insurance covered it.

(It was fun bushwhacking in the same route a year later to finish the hike.)

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    It is the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue Card, $3 for 1 year or $12 for 5 years.
    Here is the official info...
    http://www.dola.state.co.us/dlg/fa/s..._purchase.html
    Probably not a bad idea to spend a couple dollars of you're headed that way.
    The existance of this card was made clear to me the past two times I was in Colorado to hike (in 1999 and 2004).

Images

$3 is nothing. I think $3 is a good deal for a year of coverage. Better yet is the $12 option for 5 years of coverage. Where can you get 5 years of any kind of coverage for $12??

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    $3 is nothing. I think $3 is a good deal for a year of coverage. Better yet is the $12 option for 5 years of coverage. Where can you get 5 years of any kind of coverage for $12??

Panzer
    Again, it is NOT an insurance a card. Please review what I wrote earlier.

Please, I hope people do not buy this card thinking they are insured. You aren't.

From the website:

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance

The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

SO..again, The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++