WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: My pack of choice is .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default My pack of choice is .....

My pack of choice is .....

For the many ultra-lightes out there, suggest that you add "ruck-sack" or frame-less packs to the poll selection.

My long distance pack is the Gregory Reality X. I like the suspension system, because I carry the weight on my hips not my shoulders. Used it on my thru Hike. 4350 cu. in. Weighs about 5 lbs. Although my total weight for 5 or 6 days out is 26.5 lbs. I use the Arc Teryx, Khasmin 38 for shorter hikes. Weighs in at 2lbs. 6oz. Carries 2750 cu. in. and also has an adequate suspension system. Total weight with everything including food and water for 3 days, about 19 lbs.
    Singletrack

I've been carrying an Osprey for my last 6 thru-hikes, and have been very pleased with the decision to do so. Great company, great people, great products.

I have being using a Gregory Reality 1996 prototype for the past 6 years. Being a prototype it's lighter and smaller than the current Reality so that's good, at a fine 3700 cu inches it's perfect for my hikes. Every once in a while product testing works out, usually I hate the packs I test.

My first thru- hike I carried Kelty Super Tioga. Was o.k. My next 3 thru-hikes I carried a Jansport D-2. Loved it. My SOBO thru I had a Lowe internal 90+15. It sucked. In 2000 I bought a Dana Design K-2 Shortbed. Excellent pack. My current pack is a Gregory Shasta. Love it!

Wow Jack,

Osprey, hua? Cool!

My hiking partner just got her osprey last year and is planning to take it on our thru next year (51 weeks and counting!!!!!!!!!!). Hers is the Luna 75. We've gone out about 10 or 12 times since she got it but not for more than a few days at a time yet. She'll be encouraged by your endorsement.
    Thanks
    Focus Determines Reality

Mountainsmith Ghost 2lb, 6oz spent for 3100 cubic inches of storage. Love it. Keep the loads light with this pack or your shoulders will feel it. Pack is designed very durable - never had a problem with it on the thru-hike.

I have a K2 Longbed external with 5000 miles on it. The upper frame section and pack itself are still brand new because I never used them. I use a kayak bag that is still waterproof due to the lower frame that protects it when it's set down. I never worry about rain as I just throw every thing in dry, except my tent, strap the tent on top and I'm away in a few minutes. I love the way the weight belt transmits the weight to the top of the frame. I can actually run with it, if there is food to be had.

Exclamation

I use the Arc'teryx Bora 80, I know its a bit on the heavy side but its comfortable as hell and its almost bullet proof. 4800 [cu in] is enough room for a bunch of stuff I rarely need!

The Mailman
    I feel like tarzan in here!

Images

Default Pack of Choice

During hot weather I use a Kelty external frame and during cold weather hiking I use a Gregory Gravity X.
    Rigormortis

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Currently using a Mithril, but just mailed it back to Moonbow to have it augmented...Moonbow Gear (Jonathan and Rhia) are awesome for customer support/demand/wishes...if you can dream it they can make it! Have probably 15-18 packs in the collection but love the Mithril, it replaced my GVP-4 because it is almost as light but the Spectra gives it the strength I wanted in an ultralight.....this pack is true to the advertisements-you will forget you have it on.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I purchased a Dana Designs Terraplane X in 1999 to a replace 25-year old Kelty Tioga as I restarted backpacking after an extended absence. Well-built pack that rides great, but the pack weight of 7+ pounds makes me keep eyeing lighter weight solutions like the Mountainsmith Ghost, Moonbow and a few others. I've got the rest of my Fall load down to under 15 pounds without food or water, so the weight of my pack is my last major opportunity. Of course, it needs to be just as comfortable as my Dana or the total weight won't really mean anything.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 07-14-2003 at 13:17.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Without getting too opinionated (which I often do) I would agree with you that a 7lb pack for AT hiking is overkill and you could definitely get something much lighter with identical quality.

However I would strongly discourage you from looking at Mountainsmith products, after 10 years in the industry they easily have the worst track record of any pack I've seen. There are many better options out there to say the least. Keep in mind though that the Dana Arc'Flex suspension is one of the best on earth...and will be hard to beat in terms of comfort and fit.

Images

I like the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, at 2 lbs. it has a comfy suspension system and two stretchy water bottle pockets and a nifty way to attach a sleeping pad to the back. It's one step up from complete ultralight which means an extra pound but it was worth it to me to get the whole weight off my shoulders. www.granitegear.com to see what the pack looks like and you can get it at REI or backcountrygear.com. I think it's about $149.00.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I ended up going with the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, at 3 lbs., which differs from the Vapor Trail in that it has a sturdier polyethylene frame (used in other Granite Gear packs) and is slightly larger. The Nimbus is supposed to be able to carry 30-40 pounds comfortably, and while I'll be carrying on 25 pounds with 3-4 days of supplies, I'd like to be able to add a few more days of food or more cold-weather gear and not be stretching the limits of the pack. I still saved 4.5 pounds off my Terraplane. I'll be going out for an extended week in central Virginia in late October and will post my results.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Kerosene,

I was also looking at the Nimbus Ozone for the reasons that you described. I look forward to hearing your evaluation once you've had a chance to try the pack out in October.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Default backpacks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    I've been carrying an Osprey for my last 6 thru-hikes, and have been very pleased with the decision to do so. Great company, great people, great products.

Yo Jack!

how much does your Osprey pack weigh?
    how much (ci) gear can you carry?

just curious

At the moment...i'm hikin' with a REI MORNINGSTAR 75 (approx5000 ci)
    weighs 4lbs 5oz. Internal frame
    Last edited by Jaybird; 11-24-2004 at 06:16.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Aether 60 for all but the coldest months, then I bump it up to an Arc'teryx Bora 95 during the winter or week long trips without resupply. Both are excellent packs without having any problems. The Bora 95 is heavy but I bought it a few years ago before I slimmed down. It will, however, become useful again soon as the family size is increasing.

:banana

Osprey Ariel 75 (although I have an Aether 60, too)...great fit, great product, feels like a part of me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++